Favorite moments of drill simplicity

The answer to your question is pretty simple, actually: your expectations have been raised. If (to pick just some random corps) the Boston Crusaders or Bluecoats hired a rookie drill writer and that guy came up with something like the Cavaliers did in 2007 or 2008, we'd all be blown away. But because it's the Cavaliers (and Mike Gaines), we've come to expect awesome drill every year. Personally, I've gotten to the point where each year I watch the Cavaliers' show for the first time and wonder where the show-defining move(s) will occur, because I know for sure that it's in there somewhere.

i think your right, i am always looking for that thing which will just drop my jaw, and i think i was expecting more this year when i saw it. i dont think they got it in till finals and the second jump over.

but i miss them just bouncing around in lines or in the moving boxes. they are still incredible, and i use them as example of people who ask whats special about drum corps.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The story should be required reading....just like the Spirit/Xmen tale from the west tour in 79.

:tongue: :tongue: :worthy:

05 Phantom, the end of the opener where follow the leaders go into other follow the leaders

i was going to say that... the first time i saw that, i was like wow... cool drill from phantom... who would have known (jk sort of) but then i thought about how simple the idea behind it was

don't know if this was mentioned yet.. but in 03 Phantom, i think the drumline was in a wedge, and it like marched right through a horn line block.. or was it another wedge??? but it was really cool, the hornline would scatter, as the drumline wedge hit it... i thought it was really cool.

:tongue::worthy::ph34r:

i was going to say that... the first time i saw that, i was like wow... cool drill from phantom... who would have known (jk sort of) but then i thought about how simple the idea behind it was

don't know if this was mentioned yet.. but in 03 Phantom, i think the drumline was in a wedge, and it like marched right through a horn line block.. or was it another wedge??? but it was really cool, the hornline would scatter, as the drumline wedge hit it... i thought it was really cool.

i just skipped through that vid to find it, yea its pretty cool. to bad the finals vid doesnt show it end... :tongue:

The god-like pivot shift in 1987 SCV (you see the closeup of the baritone doing it on the DVD).

That's the ####. :tongue:

The hype of the pivot yes....planting so hard he lost the interval, no....watch the upper bodies...it's always bugged me.

Still, the "legend" of that one direction change is pretty impressive. The entire hornline did it in 2005!

I've always really liked the "meat slicer" move that Cavies did, I think it was in 2005. Pretty sick stuff. :tongue:

Adding to the sheer genius of that move is that George improvised it. It was never put down on paper as far as I know. There is a post somewhere describing how that drill was learned in a marathon rehearsal at BU stadium, when George was in very poor health. :tongue:

Could someone post a link to this?

Suprised nobody's mentioned Boston Crusaders opening move from 2000. Very simple concept of the two fronts coming together and opening up gorgeously to the block. Draw-jopping!! And as simple as the idea was, I'm sure endless hours were put into cleaning it.

Blue Stars - The bicyclist sets at the very end

The bicyclist form moves to the right end zone and evolves into an arrowhead, resolving just as the real bicyclist arrives. The timing was difficult, but worked perfectly Saturday night... I thought that was pretty cool. The wheels turn in the bicyclist form, another thing I liked about it.

Suprised nobody's mentioned Boston Crusaders opening move from 2000. Very simple concept of the two fronts coming together and opening up gorgeously to the block. Draw-jopping!! And as simple as the idea was, I'm sure endless hours were put into cleaning it.
Oh, yeah, that's an instant classic.

i just skipped through that vid to find it, yea its pretty cool. to bad the finals vid doesnt show it end... :tongue:

It's much more clear on the prelims tape...search that site that must not be named....and yeah...uber-cool effect!