Finals Predictions

Starting in 2004, groups at or near the top of open class have opened with a score very close to if not higher than 70. This is where I would expect BDB, SCVC and Teal Sound and other perennial contenders to be scoring when they come out of the gate.

Yup...all eyes on Clovis, Ca this Friday night. BDB and SCVC will both be performing and will

be scored for the first time this season. I've seen both and expect pretty high marks...especially

from BDB who is bigger and stronger than ever before.

Then they both perform the next night at Stanford University and I'll be there! :smile:

Cali.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was at the Pittsburgh show last night cheerin' on my Alma Mater Capital Regiment. When I marched, we were world class so I'm not entirely sure how the Open Class world goes. As a band director and former marcher I can give you my perspective of the corps:

Hornline: Looking to field a 44 member hornline. They currently have 8 tubas, around 12 trumpets, 8 mellos, and around 10-12 baritones. The hornline definitely has issues with feet-in-sound, conditioning, and phasing, but what corps doesn't have these problems at their first show in June? I saw their rehearsal that day and small chunks went very well. The book is entertaining and has a fairly high level of demand. I predict this section to be very strong by the end of the season.

Percussion: 7 snares, 4 tenors, 5 basses, about 10 in the pit. Already a very strong section. They had a couple tenors that are still getting into drill and only marched part of the show last night. The pit sounds very good as well. Their books are hard. I predict that this section will by very strong throughout the season.

Guard: 6 on the field, 1 new member, 1 injured. Hopefully they will pick up more on their tour. The drumline picks up flags backfield for the ballad while the guard is doing swing flags in the front. The work is written well, but their technique is weak. Remember that Open class is about the education of its members more than anything else. They will struggle, but should find their way eventually.

Visual/Musical Package: Drill is written well but is obviously very dirty. Lots of movement, straight forward, and they have some body work in there already. There are some very cool effects musically and visually that will be put in soon. The show is a little more jazzy than usual, but still reflects their style (contemporary wind band lit).

Bottom line: This corps was built from the ground up. One vet, the rest are rookies; the staff is all new. This is an entirely new drum corps, and I am so excited to see them back on the field again. Please remember that this activity, particularly Open class, is about the education of its members. Go easy on them!

Excellent post. Hopefully people will support the corps no matter where they wind up placement-wise. Just the fact that they are on the field, competing, educating, learning life lessons, etc., is an awesome accomplishment in the modern drum corps era.

Excellent post. Hopefully people will support the corps no matter where they wind up placement-wise. Just the fact that they are on the field, competing, educating, learning life lessons, etc., is an awesome accomplishment in the modern drum corps era.

Any corps that can come back is amazing in my book!

Could win (listed here alphabetically)

BDB

Citations

Oregon

SCVC

Teal

On the cusp

Cap Regiment

Revolution

Should be finalists

Raiders

Music City

Dutch Boy

Memphis Sound

Legends

Outside looking in

7th Regiment

VK

Colt Cadets

Racine Scouts

Les Stentors

Appearing in prelims

Blue Saints

Spirit of NJ

Corps to watch

BDB - will size hurt them like it did Surf last year

Teal - with new staff can they take advantage of size & talent of corps

Citations - do they have a drum line

Should be a very deep year for Open Class.

From the pictures ive seen looks like citations had some growth in the drumline this year to pear it nicely with the horns and of course the killer guard.

From the pictures ive seen looks like citations had some growth in the drumline this year to pear it nicely with the horns and of course the killer guard.

Yes. Going from the 2008 season to the 2009, the snare line doubled in size. And the overall playing ability increased by a big amount. :doh:

Just curious... where are these picuteres posted that you speak of???

Edited by CitBos

Yes. Going from the 2008 season to the 2009, the snare line doubled in size. And the overall playing ability increased by a big amount. :doh:

Just curious... where are these picuteres posted that you speak of???

Im friends with alot of my corpsmates from the 2007 season on facebook and there are albums of pictures on there.

Im friends with alot of my corpsmates from the 2007 season on facebook and there are albums of pictures on there.

Of course. :doh:

I did see Erika.

In the World class forums I compiled the predictions and averaged them, so I thought I would do the same here. Our collective predictions are:

1. BDB

2. Oregon Crusaders

3. Teal Sound

4. SCVC

5. Citations

6. Revolution

7. Raiders

8. Capital Regiment

9. Memphis Sound

10. Dutch Boy

11. Velvet Knights

12. Legends

13. Music City

14. 7th Regiment

15. Racine Scouts

16. Les Stentors

17. Colt Cadets

18. Blue Saints

19. Spirit of Newark

Have not spent much time following OC in the past, looking forward to an exciting season!