"Oldschool" equipment question

Will

Ok - I love some "old school" color guard and while recently watching some videos I have a few questions:

Why did they put streamers on the ends of poles, silks, rifles, sabres...?? I don't get it. In some cases it's kind of fun and jazzy, but otherwise I just don't get it.

Second, in DCI back in the 70s and 80s, what is with the gun shots???

Thanks!

I know some did it for balance purposes-- those old rifles and sabres were SUPER butt/hilt heavy. The streamers tended to be a bit longer on the nose/blade than the ones on the butt (if any were added to the butt).

At least, that's why we did it in my high school. Either that, or for visual effect.

In DCI (and DCA) the gun shots were used to indicate that the show had started and indicate when the official judging period was over. In some winterguard circuits they used whistles to indicate the same thing.

Thanks!! That makes sense.

For DCI/ DCA, does that mean they stopped judging some shows even though the corps kept going?? I.E. Cadets 1981 - the show was like 13 minutes and they shot the gun around 11:30 or something...

Second gun (at 11:30 or so) meant that the execution (aka tic) judges had to stop judging. You'd see them waving their clipboards to show they heard. Once in a while there were more gunshots cuz someone didn't hear 'em. General Effect was still judged until the end unless a show went overtime (only saw that once).

After the second gun olde tyme corps would start cranking up the emotion and usually come out blazing. They couldn't get hit for execution mistakes (tics) and got the crowd going.

Second, in DCI back in the 70s and 80s, what is with the gun shots???

Thanks!

OMG - you are so young! Or maybe I'm just sooooo old.... :rolleyes:

OMG - you are so young! Or maybe I'm just sooooo old.... :tongue:

And we're both old enough to know that gunshots after a corps is off the field means Walt Kelly is scaring the pigeons. :tongue:

Strange thing is after now hearing the starters pistol for a few years, when I hear it on the old recordings it's like hearing a long lost friend. :worthy: Especially the shows I've heard so many times I know when in the show the pistol will sound. (Actually placed a show with that.)

Thanks, Lindap! What a neat article! I love historical things like that.. very cool.

Thanks, Lindap! What a neat article! I love historical things like that.. very cool.

you're welcome...there was a sound of boots on a hardwood floor...the flags would whoosh...the rifles would click, click, click, click...during posting, there would be a simultaneous clang...later a snare drummer would provide cadence and we would march to his beat...a few years later we moved to taped music...music that we liked to move to...that's how it was

I'll try to find my 71 recap sheet...we got a 2 point penalty for 'shoes'...can't remember the rule...oh well...cool of you to respond though and thanks

I've never experienced that kind of colorguard. I can't imagine what it was like. Anyone know of any videos on youtube or anywhere what I can have a look?