What were your favorite DCI guard flags?

1992 Phantom...I havent' watched it in a while, but if I recall it would appear they bought up all the fabric in Illinois that year...alot of flags..and some quite stunning...

Honerable mention. I think it was SCV they had huge swing flags that looked like stained glass windows....was that 89? I forget. That was also the year of the black swing flags with the silver dots...also effective... They also used those blue and white "feathered" flags during their russian years...they were pretty cool too!

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2000 Blue Devils - "Methods of Madness"

If I remember correctly, part of the show had 2-sided flags... one side all black, another side with color. Man I love that show.

I am recalling Cadets 1990 and their little flag color changing cool thing in the back right side of the field during brass ripples.

I remember that quite well. And didn't Glassmen do the same type of effect the same year?

Also, was it 1987 when SCV used MASSIVE billowing flags of sky blue tints? I was absolutely captivated by those. Anyone got a photo?

In order of year, non exhaustive:

Suncoast '88 - the 'paper doll' flags during the opener - Red and Yellow Black and White...

Cadets '92 - the 'sunset cloud' flags at the end of the show

Phantom '93 - the blue flags during Fire of Eternal Glory

Cadets '94 - entire show - the flags really capture the different moods of the music

Phantom '96 - the red flags at the beginning

Crossmen '97 - the Birdland flags - especially the first unison hit

Crossmen '98 - the purple ones

Cadets '99 - the Skyline flags

Crown '99 - the 'In His Eyes flags in the ballad - you understand the show is about duality and darkness and light without being smacked in the face with it.

I'll think of more for the 2000s later...

I remember that quite well. And didn't Glassmen do the same type of effect the same year?

Also, was it 1987 when SCV used MASSIVE billowing flags of sky blue tints? I was absolutely captivated by those. Anyone got a photo?

Aren't you guys talking about 1998? Or am I mistaken?

Phantom Regiment's 1996 "Black Light" flags: in-person, they looked like a white flag with a black box in the middle, but were actually purple and white. Also, the white 2005 ballad flags fit the music's mood to a "T".

Cavaliers 1998 opener flags, the ones with the purple and white diagonal zebra-stripes.

Cadets 1995 opener flags, kind-of reminds me of a patchwork quilt (and probably felt like one, spinning them on seven-foot poles).

Blue Knights 1994 opener blueish flags on the wooden poles, and the tri-color red-white-green flags (they remind me of Madison's old flags from the early 1980's).

I honestly don't know where to find other pictures of these flags.

Edited by hallrc