Sign in to follow this  
Aussiehatswithfeathers

IYM mouthpiece

I've been looking into baritone mouthpieces and after seeing the IYM mellophone mouthpieces on the Cavies site i looked into the baritone mouthpieces....I was just wondering if they were any good because i am planning on purchasing one in the near future

Thanks

Maybe a better place to ask specific mouthpiece questions: Brass Forum

IYM makes a wonderful mouthpiece. I have the Mello version and love it. But, they are costly.

We used the IYM mello and tuba mouthpieces at Fusion last year, and they really helped open up our sound. We'll be using the IYM "Larry Kerchner" mellophone mouthpieces with the Bushwackers this season. I have no experience with the baritone mouthpieces except that I know it takes some adjusting. Not a big deal.

I find that the IYM's help a great deal on stuffy horns...especially on mellophones. Certain brands of mellophones are stuffy by nature, and sometimes manufacturers will come out with a series or model of horn that's stuffier and doesn't project as well as another series they make. I have found that their mouthpieces help to counteract that.

I suggest purchasing them through the Cavaliers website or through the Bushwackers website.

I myself don't like the IYM mouthpiece at all. Mine has a stuffier sound with A LOT more air in the sound. It also decreases your range. I'm on the verge of selling it.

Same here. Played on one a few years ago, and hated it. Too soft, bad high range. Haven't sold mine yet, but now I realize that I could probably do that to help pay for drum corps.

I wasn't a fan of them when I tried them out. Very heavy, the low range sounded great on it, didn't notice to much of a difference on the high register. When it comes to the Baritone, not looking forward to more weight on the horn. :tongue:

The tuba one weighs pretty close to a yamaha baritone