DCI marchers with Alumni-type corps experience

Over the weekend Lancers had our big bus trip (whole 100 miles :tongue: ) for a parade and concert in VA. Pretty sure I saw the current Cadets member walking around with his horn. Wasn't sure at first as he has a "camp cut" haircut and the short hair threw me. :ph34r:

Just had to laugh thinking:

"Who'd you march with this year?"

"Holy Name Cadets and Hanover Lancers"

"Holy Name and..... WHO????"

All in good fun folks, we're all in this together. <$1 to Red Green>

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If they are good I am sure that everyone would be fine with it. If they sucked I bet they would bag on it.

If they sucked they probably wouldn't make the cut anyway. If they sucked and made the cut anyway, well that doesn't say much for the corps they made.

If they sucked they probably wouldn't make the cut anyway. If they sucked and made the cut anyway, well that doesn't say much for the corps they made.

Plenty of people can cut it at the winter camps and then fold like a cheap suit once move in occurs. I've seen it happen and I marched a pretty good drum corps

I urge my students who think they want to march, to do a year of a DCA corps withing driving distance to help them prepare for DCI. I then urge them to march a lower ranked corps for at least a year just to get used to the work ethic before trying out for a major corps.

I march(ed) Hawthorne and have also been sitting in with BS Golden Knights for the past few years. I also marched 2003, 2007, and 2008 at The Cadets.

When I told other members in 2007 that I had marched several years of senior corps, they looked at me like I was a space alien. Furthermore, they didn't even believe that I owned a soprano bugle (until I brought it to a camp one time).

There are a lot of stereotypes about DCA that run rampant throughout the junior corps world. It's true that there is some truth in every stereotype, however a stereotype should not stigmatize.

DCA offers a kind of fun that DCI just cannot offer, and vice versa. One circuit is not better than the other...apples and oranges. My time at Hawthorne only honed by skills as a musician, which helped to prepare me for my last two seasons on tour as a soloist. I would not be the trumpet player I am today, had I never marched with Hawthorne.

DCI teaches discipline...DCA teaches balls. You need both to move people as a musician.

I urge my students who think they want to march, to do a year of a DCA corps withing driving distance to help them prepare for DCI. I then urge them to march a lower ranked corps for at least a year just to get used to the work ethic before trying out for a major corps.

Why?

Plenty of people can cut it at the winter camps and then fold like a cheap suit once move in occurs. I've seen it happen and I marched a pretty good drum corps

Ya that's true I've seen it as well. I guess I see that as more of a physical/mental endurance issue than a general talent issue. I marched with a guy in 93 who had amazing chops and was an all around great guy. Then, in June, as a result of a MINOR argument turned into the biggest ##### in the corps and remained that way the rest of the summer.

"You came from a DCA corps? Sweet, did you bring some of their beer with you?"

"About that initiation, kid...you get the beer!"

:worthy:

Garry in Vegas

I marched with the Rochester Crusaders in 05 before going to DCI the past 4 years... Every year I come back and fill a hole for finals, and to me the Crusaders are always going to be my home corps. I encourage young kids to do DCA for a year or 2 before going to DCI. It really helps you prepare for whats coming.

The Drum Corps gods had a sense a humor yesterday. In the morning I post about a current Cadet member and after work I stop at a local supermarket for some stuff. See a young man wearing a maroon (looked maroon to me) shirt and with his hand on his chest all I can read is "....ame Cadets". I did a double take and when he saw me looking I said "trying to read your shirt" :worthy: . Sure 'nuff.... shirt said "Holy Name Cadets" and I gave him the thumbs up. Little talking and find out he's in the drum line this year. Wished him good luck and we shook hands.

Now if I can only find the person who shops in the same strip mall with license plate of "Caballeros" with some letters missing. License plate bracket and stickers show it's the Hawthorne Cabs.

And I march Alumni type so West Shore Shopping Center has all the bases covered. :lol:

Edited by JimF-3rdBari