Spartans bankruptcy / discussion

I remember my sons band instructor and his WGI drumline instructor both saying something to the effect

that if you join DCP take everything with a grain of salt. Use it for information but never take ANYTHING serious. The WGI instructor, a very well respected person in WGI and Marching Bands areas basically said

DCP is full of gossips, story tellers and rumor spreaders.

I dont know why but to me it would seem that as a grown man with a child, that we should do everything to help, support and encourage the kids in these corps. Spreading rumors and "secret" knowledge of wrongdoings does nothing to help the Spartans. Nor does it help to improve the image of dcp.

Note to self: Remember what R.B. told me.. grain of salt...grain of salt ...

I agree with you regarding grain of salt. I take many things with a grain.

However, having said this...the report I received was from a source I trust. I haven't been able to find alternate sources, so...if I was a journalist, I wouldn't go to the newspapers with it. However, this isn't a newspaper and I witnessed the contras in posession of a corps other than the corps from NH.

Again, members, staff, people with the unquestioned knowledge of these events aren't available to ask for many reasons. Besides, what occurred or did not occur happened roughly 10 years ago and is not a reflection of what is currently happening with any corps.

Also, I continue to wish this new management team with the Spartans the best. I think the turning of the page will allow this organization to survive in the short term and perhaps thrive in the long term.

Someone said in a PM to me not to dwell in the past...and they are right. I am dwelling too much in the past and there are people whose job it is to research and investigate the practices of not-for-profit organizations in NH. I trust they will continue to do their job.

At the same time, I have to believe the Spartans have a shot of moving forward, solidifying membership and staff and putting a plan together to enter the field again this summer. I have few NH connections, but if the staff announced earlier is still in place...there would not be too many better places for a young person to learn drum corps.

Again, let's turn the page and I would like to redirect my focus on the future of this organization. One that looks much brighter today than it did a week ago.

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, what I'm saying is, is if you have information, stop posting tidbits on DCP. If you have SOLID information, then step up and do something.

As for DCP contributing to someone getting in trouble, you better believe it. Once an investigation starts by any agency, all lines of communications are scruntinized and items like cpu's, PDA's, cel phones and such are all looked at. So, yes, at some point, the thread may be reviewed and items posted here can and will be looked at.

Just you some common sense before you start posting "hear say" or "rumors"

And what I'm saying is that if someone has information, they can post as many tidbits on DCP as they damnn well please. Just because some information is new to you doesn't mean that the FBI is going to be busting down someone's door with a van in the driveway. I know what the Patriot Act is, trust me, and I'm telling you this forum is probably the least of an investigator's concerns. The fire that he was speaking of was apparently set by a homeless man lighting the equipment trucks up with all the equipment in them during the offseason, of 1998 I believe. Not positive on the year, but these aren't deep dark secrets that are only being kept in the corners of his mind, severely altering a dramatic court case in silver screen fashion. Nope, this is just somewhat common knowledge to those who have been fully involved with the group. This is why he called it 'hearsay' there is not necessarily substantial truth, just bouncing of ideas. Nobody is going to leave this forum and suddenly crack the case of the 98 fire and be a some kind of superhero. Hearsay is us posting an opinion, something that can't really be used in a court case unless your considered an expert of your field. Unfortunately for you, I don't think they'd take a 'drum corps expert' for his opinions. This isn't a murder trial here, get with the program. There will always be hearsay running around this board: Why wasn't the corps equipment in the hall during the offseason? That's kind of standard procedure for operation, after you return from tour, you unload the stuff into the hall, I've had to do it. Why would a homeless man intentionally set fire to two equipment trucks, in order to light a truck on fire, I'm sure it actually takes a good amount of work, they don't just go up like newspaper. So there's my hearsay. If you don't like my tidbits, don't post here.

Edited by wickedpissah

I would only add some hearsay...sold contras...a group from NC...a mysterious fire of a couple of trailers...reporting loss of tubas that still existed...somewhere outside of NH....somewhere warmer...like...say...NC.

Not saying...just saying. The underbelly of drum corps to be sure.

Two obvious questions arise:

1. How do you know that these particular contrabasses were reported lost in the fire?

2. Why do you bring this up only now, and not 10 years ago?

I remember my sons band instructor and his WGI drumline instructor both saying something to the effect

that if you join DCP take everything with a grain of salt. Use it for information but never take ANYTHING serious. The WGI instructor, a very well respected person in WGI and Marching Bands areas basically said

DCP is full of gossips, story tellers and rumor spreaders.

I dont know why but to me it would seem that as a grown man with a child, that we should do everything to help, support and encourage the kids in these corps. Spreading rumors and "secret" knowledge of wrongdoings does nothing to help the Spartans. Nor does it help to improve the image of dcp.

Note to self: Remember what R.B. told me.. grain of salt...grain of salt ...

As opposed to the rest of the Internet, which is filled with nothing but solid verified information.

If any federal agency is getting involved, they will look at everything, including DCP and the chatter here. So adding "hear say" will get you involved, if you want to or not. That's been my gripe about this thread, you can hide behind the "we need the truth" line, but when you throw out remarks like that, you only prove to others that you have other motives.

Plus if you "think" you know something, step up and contact the right people and put your name out there showing you really cared.

actually this post isn't as far fetched as some might think...though i will say adding "hearsay" might (not definitely will) get you involved.

take this as more DCP rumor, but a former corps director (good friend of mine) once told me that DCP topics might have become subpoenaed as part of a potential lawsuit because of the rumors being spread about Cap Reg (before going inactive a couple years ago) and because information was shared that, if true, had huge rammifications against those in charge.

of course this (to my knowledge) never happened, and that story has a happy ending as we all know CR is back, but it could happen

As opposed to the rest of the Internet, which is filled with nothing but solid verified information.

Im on other sites not DCP related and we dont see the Rumor, Gossip, etc that Ive seen here in a very short time.

Something about the idea...."Everyone else does it so its ok if I (we) do it". For some reason I would expect higher standards from grown men who "CLAIM" to be concerned about Drum Corps.

If it was Teen aged kids or women then I would perhaps expect it more (sorry lady's. flame away).

Guess I was expecting more. As a grown man, I should have known better.

This is getting ridiculous. What has happened with the Spartans and the questions about the actions of their management are a matter of public record, not "rumors and gossip." Of course there are people willing to rag on DCP, because DCP is a big public place where people can apply a critical eye to the way drum corps and drum corps organizations do their business. Such a critical eye can only be a good thing for drum corps, and for the Spartans. Rather than trying to cast aspersions on people here, maybe you should be looking at Peter LaFlamme and asking how it is that things there got to this point.

This is getting ridiculous. What has happened with the Spartans and the questions about the actions of their management are a matter of public record, not "rumors and gossip." Of course there are people willing to rag on DCP, because DCP is a big public place where people can apply a critical eye to the way drum corps and drum corps organizations do their business. Such a critical eye can only be a good thing for drum corps, and for the Spartans. Rather than trying to cast aspersions on people here, maybe you should be looking at Peter LaFlamme and asking how it is that things there got to this point.

You know, Dave, I've been reading your posts for quite a while now, and I have to say that you're quite often more than a tad bit sanctimonious, and often heavy-handed, particularly for a guy who gets to police the forum and shut other people down. I'm not taking one side nor the other in this debate, but if you actually were to READ the thread, you'd see that Mr. Brace is making statements here which are separate and apart from those which are public record. THAT is why there are folks discussing THOSE rumors and gossip.

Now we've reached the point where it's not serving *any* purpose now nothing but hearsay and personal attacks. In the future, if further information develops, we will be happy to revisit the issue.

Thanks, and feel free to PM me with comments, questions or concerns.

Mike