Great Video on CNN about a band program

Wow, what a moving video!

That was really touching - it really shows what music programs can accomplish and why they're so important as part of a well rounded education!

Later,

Mike

What a great story, and Zach, the band director is a great guy. Last fall at a marching band competition I watched from the stands as he helped a disabled student perform in the pit by helping to move his arms so he could play on a drum. He stood behind him and helped him during the entire show.

I mentioned this a few weeks ago in one of the threads about marching units in the Inaugural Parade.

Zach is a Boston Crusaders alum, and has housed corps at South Cobb for the drum corps shows in Atlanta the past couple of years.

This is truly on of the best "feel good" stories in metro Atlanta in recent months, the way Zach and his band dared to dream of something so big, and how the community pulled together to make that dream a reality.

South Cobb also has other drum corps ties, in addition to the late Jason Lowe.

Spirit of Atlanta founder Freddy Martin was band director at South Cobb in the 70s, and probably 60 or 70 percent of the 1977 Spirit of Atlanta members (myself included) were from the South Cobb band. South Cobb was Spirit's home base for the first three or four years of the corps' existence.

Mark Connell, South Cobb's band director for a stint during the 80s, was a former Spirit drum major.

This is the type of stuff that reaffirms why I want to be a music educator. Great story.