Being Cut because you're fat?

So I auditioned for my dream corp back in Nov.(Not going to say who), I felt like I was one of the stronger auditionees, I projected, I had the work down pact after knowing it for 2-3 days, I felt pretty good about my audition(even though I did trip on my flag that was on the ground in my audition ;P ) but I came back and my instructor had auditioned for the same corp back a few years ago and they said that once he worked on his figure he could come back. I have a feeling thats the same thing I got....I felt I was very good but unfortunely my body type wouldnt meet their "requirements". It was a World Class corp so do most of them want to look "uniform" on the field so they cut the larger people so they all look the same? If so, is this fair? I mean theres no way of proving it but since I'm of the larger nature is this fair to me that I cant follow my dream?

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am thinking that your assessment may be based on either speculation or denial. You can still follow your dream. Find another corps. Why would you pick this as a dream corps knowing from your instructor that they have a history of using this kind of criteria? Sounds like you set yourself up for failure. You have the power to follow your dream. Just work on making smarter decisions in achieving them.

So I auditioned for my dream corp back in Nov.(Not going to say who), I felt like I was one of the stronger auditionees, I projected, I had the work down pact after knowing it for 2-3 days, I felt pretty good about my audition(even though I did trip on my flag that was on the ground in my audition ;P ) but I came back and my instructor had auditioned for the same corp back a few years ago and they said that once he worked on his figure he could come back. I have a feeling thats the same thing I got....I felt I was very good but unfortunely my body type wouldnt meet their "requirements". It was a World Class corp so do most of them want to look "uniform" on the field so they cut the larger people so they all look the same? If so, is this fair? I mean theres no way of proving it but since I'm of the larger nature is this fair to me that I cant follow my dream?
Edited by ContraJohn

If you think about dance and lines, yes, I can see that weight could be an issue for guard more than horn or drumline. Some top 12 corps appear to care less about weight in choosing guard members than others, if you look at the videos.

The other area where being heavy might pose a problem in auditioning, besides just personal bias against heavy people which can't be dismissed out of hand, but where weight could pose a problem in performance, is in stamina. Can you run and can your body hold up as well over the course of a summer as well as others'? Some heavy folks can, some can't, but I could also understood if a particular corps had learned over the years that certain body types are just more prone to blowouts, which cost them lost time and heartache.

I'm sorry you didn't make your dream corps, truly. If you have the guard chops you say you have, there are plenty of corps that will still welcome you.

Yup. Its fair. Sorry

If this corps is truly your dream, you should consider speaking with the instructional staff about their concerns and ask them if they're willing to keep you on in an alternate capactiy while you work yourself into better shape.

I marched with a remarkable young woman who was told flat out that her weight was what was preventing her getting a spot. She asked the staff to give her an extended chance, lost nearly 50 lbs by the Summer, and had a spot when the corps hit the field. Now, I will tell you that as her friend she did not always follow the healthiest regimen for losing the weight, which unfortunately seemed like more of a concern to her friends/family than the staff. However, what the staff saw and valued hugely was her unbelievable commitment, determination, work ethic and passion, and that's what got her her spot in the guard.

I will echo the sentiments of several of the other folks in here in also suggesting that there are other corps out there who may better value you and your guard skills right now, at your current size, and you might be happier there.

Good luck to you,

Karen

history of corps: larger people in all sections.

reality of drum corps: these are private organizations that can cut someone for any reason.

what you should do: audition for any and every corps you can, find your spot and your home and work your butt off to prove it to no one but yourself and have a great time in the process.

from one big guy to another

If this corps is truly your dream, you should consider speaking with the instructional staff about their concerns and ask them if they're willing to keep you on in an alternate capactiy while you work yourself into better shape.

I agree.

I marched with a remarkable young woman who was told flat out that her weight was what was preventing her getting a spot. She asked the staff to give her an extended chance, lost nearly 50 lbs by the Summer, and had a spot when the corps hit the field. Now, I will tell you that as her friend she did not always follow the healthiest regimen for losing the weight, which unfortunately seemed like more of a concern to her friends/family than the staff. However, what the staff saw and valued hugely was her unbelievable commitment, determination, work ethic and passion, and that's what got her her spot in the guard.

This concerns me because it seems the staff placed more concern over unhealthy eating behaviors, which could potentially lead to an eating disorder, than the health of this individual. "It's all about the kids"? Yeah, right. But this issue didn't start yesterday. It's been a problem in the guard activity for a long time now, unfortunately. Even when I first started marching guard in Oakland, there was a young woman who had been diagnosed with anorexia nervosa (and this was back in '78). Her situation was so bad that she damaged her pituitary gland and couldn't stop losing weight, so her weight dropped dangerously low. During first tour, she tried just carrying stuff the rifle line needed for the magic act, but even that caused her weight to drop, so she had to stop doing that.

Sometimes the lengths to which people will go to lose weight are dangerous. That has to factor in to considerations about what body type are deemed "acceptable" by a guard staff. I've long felt that the vastly more important issue is to design a show, uniforms, etc., around the average body type, and then work from there.

I will echo the sentiments of several of the other folks in here in also suggesting that there are other corps out there who may better value you and your guard skills right now, at your current size, and you might be happier there.

I definitely agree with this. I would look for a corps that places less of a focus on body type and more of a focus on the value of what that individual brings to the corps.

i guess i'm too old skool. I remember the time that if you breathed,, you were in. Corps used to take kids of the street,,, teach and train and yes nurture,, and produce a good solid, respectable, polite member of the local community,, It's obvious it's not about the kids anymore,,, probably hasn't been for years,,, it's all about the money and winning,, (which in itself is a good goal,, but at what expense?)

Do DC do good?/ sure,, theire education level is far and away above anything i experienced,

okay,, what am i trying to say??? i haven't a clue lol.. other than,, this trend is kinda disturbing,,, when the actual health and welfare of a kid is jeopardized , and that encouraged by staff,, who actually rewarded unhealthy,, and by the sounds of it,, dangerous habits....

sad what this activity is seemingly turning into...

i guess i'm too old skool. I remember the time that if you breathed,, you were in. Corps used to take kids of the street,,, teach and train and yes nurture,, and produce a good solid, respectable, polite member of the local community,, It's obvious it's not about the kids anymore,,, probably hasn't been for years,,, it's all about the money and winning,, (which in itself is a good goal,, but at what expense?)

Do DC do good?/ sure,, theire education level is far and away above anything i experienced,

okay,, what am i trying to say??? i haven't a clue lol.. other than,, this trend is kinda disturbing,,, when the actual health and welfare of a kid is jeopardized , and that encouraged by staff,, who actually rewarded unhealthy,, and by the sounds of it,, dangerous habits....

sad what this activity is seemingly turning into...

BTW, I'm of Sue's vintage. The story I related happened nearly 25 years ago...so this is definitely not a new phenomenon.

KS