Being Cut because you're fat?

You do not choose to have your mind effectively taken over by thoughts and feelings forcing you to see not eating, or however the disorder manifests itself, as the only option.

Okay, but you can't blame that on anyone else.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, but you can't blame that on anyone else.

I'm not saying it is! I'm saying it's not the fault of the person. Not everything that happens occurs as a result of being someone's fault.

EDIT: Certain things can increase risk factors though, as I mentioned. Though again, I don't think getting cut from a drum corps is typically one of them. I don't know of drum corps staff ever psychologically damaging someone. Most people know what they're in for...

Edited by Supersonic

I'm not saying it is! I'm saying it's not the fault of the person. Not everything that happens occurs as a result of being someone's fault.

i just think that you can't hold the person accountable at all for what they are doing to themselves. no it's not a choice for something to be wired wrong upstairs, but it is a choice to do something about it. You know you have an eating disorder, or that you have those thought, everyone has been taught that those thoughts are not right, so do something about, at least tell someone so you can get help! I know it might be hard for people, for other reasons.

But i also see a lot of eating disorders that are not from a mental hard wiring problem...

EDIT: Certain things can increase risk factors though, as I mentioned. Though again, I don't think getting cut from a drum corps is typically one of them. I don't know of drum corps staff ever psychologically damaging someone. Most people know what they're in for...

Now commenting on your edit...

WE AGREE!

i just think that you can't hold the person accountable at all for what they are doing to themselves. no it's not a choice for something to be wired wrong upstairs, but it is a choice to do something about it. You know you have an eating disorder, or that you have those thought, everyone has been taught that those thoughts are not right, so do something about, at least tell someone so you can get help! I know it might be hard for people, for other reasons.

But i also see a lot of eating disorders that are not from a mental hard wiring problem...

Actually, people with anorexia don't typically know they have anorexia, at least initially. Bulimics do know they have bulimia, though. Yes, there are some people who think they can choose to have eating disorders so they intentionally stop eating to lose weight, but most people diagnosed with the disorder find those people insulting and frustrating.

Anyway... probably enough of the thread hijack... I don't know how to put it any clearer; I guess I'm simply not going to succeed in enlightening people this time... It's not the person's fault. They don't choose to have it. Period. I don't know what else to say.

Edited by Supersonic

Well, at least we can agree on something, then. :thumbs-up:

I guess we should have stayed more on topic...haha

Okay all, we are done hijacking this thread... #### happens, back on topic.