Being Cut because you're fat?

In my experience, they're usually used to distinguish between auditionees of approximately equal talent. If you've got two snare players who are basically equal in every other respect, but one is the same height as the rest of your 6' tall snareline, and the other one is 5'2, which one are you going to keep?

No doubt you are right.

HH

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

eating disorders are a touchy subject... but i'm pretty positive that no staff member from any corps would say things in ANY way to make someone make unhealthy choices... i would put all blame on the eating disorder on the person who has it. Sorry if I am offending anyone, but it's just how I feel. Anyone I have ever known who has an eating disorder it is a personal mental issue, not caused by someone saying your overweight.

I cannot disagree more. I know people who were bigger who had been almost brainwashed by world class corps to lose 20 pounds in six weeks or get cut.

The staff gave the member a contract which even said this, they pressured the member, young moldable good kid, to either get cut and be embarrassed by

getting cut next camp where everyone would know or lose the weight. 20 lbs in six weeks is not healthy at all....2lbs a week x 6 is 12, not twenty. This person wasn't even big enough to have it hamper his/her dance skills which is why I know a lot of people get cut if they are overweight. Luckily the member decided not to march there.

I know a girl, the hardest #### working girl you ever met who was overweight. Lost seriously maybe 60 lbs over a couple years marching in a good

guard in open class. She was absolutely the hardest worker ever and really improved her skills while in open class. She went to audition for a world class corps and they didn't even let her do the formal audition part at the end of the weekend. That is A) Stealing money and B) Horrible they wouldn't even explain to her why upfront but it became apparent as she talked with other bigger girls what was going on.

. ..especially since your initial response was a rather oblique, ham-handed attempt at trying to respond to my initial post concerning DCI without "responding" to it. . . .but, then again, we can discuss the messenger and not the message all day long, no?

Anyway, yeah . . .agree to disagree, and all that. Rather than argue the niceties of DCI or whatever again, I think everyone can at least agree that there's somewhere out there for everyone.

As smart as you are and as concerned as you seem to be with what I have to say, you surely know by now that I'm never oblique and "respond" directly whenever the mood strikes. The fact is I was responding to many posts in general and none in particular. It's the message, not the messenger which matters to me.

Ham-handed? I can't say. I don't think Jews are allowed to be that.

(This Jewish joke was made without actual reference to the previous poster who may or may not have known I am Jewish. There is no reason to believe he selected this characterization with me or my religious affiliation in mind. We can only hope my attempt at humor is enough to justify this lengthy disclaimer.)

HH

I cannot disagree more. I know people who were bigger who had been almost brainwashed by world class corps to lose 20 pounds in six weeks or get cut.

The staff gave the member a contract which even said this, they pressured the member, young moldable good kid, to either get cut and be embarrassed by

getting cut next camp where everyone would know or lose the weight. 20 lbs in six weeks is not healthy at all....2lbs a week x 6 is 12, not twenty. This person wasn't even big enough to have it hamper his/her dance skills which is why I know a lot of people get cut if they are overweight. Luckily the member decided not to march there.

I know a girl, the hardest #### working girl you ever met who was overweight. Lost seriously maybe 60 lbs over a couple years marching in a good

guard in open class. She was absolutely the hardest worker ever and really improved her skills while in open class. She went to audition for a world class corps and they didn't even let her do the formal audition part at the end of the weekend. That is A) Stealing money and B) Horrible they wouldn't even explain to her why upfront but it became apparent as she talked with other bigger girls what was going on.

I lost 30 lbs in two weeks.. at spring training, not the healthiest way, but it wasn't because of an eating disorder, i ate every meal that was provided... i marched euph, and my drill spot happened to be on the edge of almost every form... just saying, i don't think 20 lbs in six weeks is that bad. if you change you diet to a healthy one and exercise every day, it's possible... it's what I did, 30 lbs in less than 2 weeks. my diet was changed to a healthy one (heck there was even a gas station nearby where there were some pleasure foods i partook in, lol) and i was just doing a lot of exercise.

My body did change a little to fast for me though, it took time to adjust to myself after the weight change, that is probably the most unhealthy thing about it... but hey it's better for that to happen before tour than during it.

Your second paragraph though.. that is just wrong.

As smart as you are and as concerned as you seem to be with what I have to say, you surely know by now that I'm never oblique and "respond" directly whenever the mood strikes. The fact is I was responding to many posts in general and none in particular. It's the message, not the messenger which matters to me.

Ham-handed? I can't say. I don't think Jews are allowed to be that.

(This Jewish joke was made without actual reference to the previous poster who may or may not have known I am Jewish. There is no reason to believe he selected this characterization with me or my religious affiliation in mind. We can only hope my attempt at humor is enough to justify this lengthy disclaimer.)

HH

I think the fact that you had to put a disclaimer is what is wrong with society.. lol, you two make me laugh....

HH

Oy vey. :thumbs-up:

There is a huge difference between a staff member saying "You have a much better chance of making the line if you lose ___ lbs" and somebody saying "You're a fat cow. You're disgusting. Lose some weight." I would be willing to bet money that most staff comments are way way closer to the former than to the latter. Abuse is one thing. A recommendation or suggestion is completely different. And the notion of a staff member repeatedly calling someone fat at a camp is just ludicrous. The only time I think it would be mentioned directly would be during a one-on-one sit down.

That said, once you get on tour, anything's fair game. I've seen fat, gay, drill instructors ridicule members for being fat and/or gay. They're marching instructors. I feel like it's in their blood to verbally abuse/ridicule people. I know a whole bunch of people are going to jump on me here for it being anti-educational, unhealthy, sick, etc. and some random parent's going to hop on and spout some bull**** about how they would never let their kid participate in an activity being taught by people like that. Whatever. Get over yourselves. Last time I checked, marine drill sergeants aren't exactly all sunshine and rainbows. Granted, that's a completely different field, but the two work on the same assumption: there's something to be said for being broken down and then built back up again. And in my experience, most of this "abuse" is just a one-time thing, a joke cracked at random if a member does something slightly stupid. Very few instructors consistently abuse their members, and the only one that I've witnessed doing so was canned halfway through the summer.

I agree with just about everything you say in this post, but comparing dci practices/tour with Marine basic training...no. There's breaking down and there's breaking down.

But most of the rest of what you said, absolutely.

I was "fat" when I auditioned at my corps last season. Over 220. I still got a spot. Ended up 55 pounds lighter in August.

I don't see how anybody could get cut for being overweight. There much bigger people than me at this corps that still marched. I'm not gonna participate in any of this "eating disorder" debate crap, though. Just wanted to say how I feel...the feeling, being, of course, that "I don't get it."

I agree with just about everything you say in this post, but comparing dci practices/tour with Marine basic training...no. There's breaking down and there's breaking down.

But most of the rest of what you said, absolutely.

Well, obviously. My point was that the theory is the same. Completely different practice, completely different intensity, different reasons, etc.