Being Cut because you're fat?

Just another tid-bit I'll add: When i got my comment sheets back they all said "Great Weapon technique, very strong" "Great Performance quality, head always up" "Knows the choreography well" then I had one that said "Nice dance but just a little bit flowier(sp?)"

SO when I got those comment sheets I was like sweeeeeeeeeeet I did do as well as I thought....then I got called into the bottom group and I was like....wtf

Me and 2 other guys there....who were both large as well....were cut that weekend

OK, so the comment sheets suggest you're not just being unrealistic about your skills, and that you are qualified on at least a basic level... as I'm sure you realize, not everyone who auditions is realistic about themselves. Some people confuse how much they want it with how much they deserve it. (A lot of times, our culture teaches kids that if you want something badly enough, you can make it happen. Dreams and desires are great, and often can motivate our best performances, but don't always translate into reaching our goal. Just ask the 2008 Blue Devils.)

BUT... if this really is one of the top corps in the activity, doesn't it seem likely to you that there are many people who audition who get comment sheets as good or better than yours, but still get cut quickly, because there are that many people who are that good?

And were there any large people who made the first cut? Are there large people in the corps on their recent videos?

It may be your weight, but it may be something else too. You'd really have to talk to somebody on the staff to find out why. A lot of times, it's attitude. Read articles on auditioning for drum corps... there have been dozens over the years... and you quickly realize that skill level is important but is NOT the most important or main thing they're looking at. They want to know if you have the attitude to fit in and grow as a performer.

While they still remember the audition and who you are, talk to somebody who evaluated you. Put your question in a positive light. Not, "Why didn't I make it?" [which sounds whiny, and which some staff may see as the opening line of an argument], but "Tell me what I need to work on to get there." I'm surprised they didn't do that, anyway. A lot of corps do.

I'm also curious about your reaction to all the discussion here. Your response here was kind of non-responsive. What parts of it made sense for you? Or did you just want to vent? An ability to respond to feedback is part of what corps staffs look at. Responding to feedback in a positive manner, taking something away and using it positively, shows an attitude to fit in with the corps and grow as a performer. If the staff makes suggestions and they seem to bounce off you with no impact, which is kind of what happened in this thread up to this point, that may suggest to them that you're not there yet.

Edited by Peel Paint

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand where everyone is coming from, but I don't remember any large people making it past first cut, but Ive moved on to another corp that i'm really happy at now, I still would like to march "them" but I'm not like terribly upset, I'm just fine :D

I know that no one on here knows me but I'm really not that out of shape, yes I'm large but i think its jsut a genetic thing

I am planning on going back....I'm just not sure how soon....but I'm working on losing weight through out this winterguard season and marching with "this" corp over the summer

Yes I have seen larger guys on some of the top-tier corps but I think they might have been there since the corp started building (Like Crown and that big black guy, he's been there forever and I'm sure they wouldn't have just been like "oh well we're starting to get good....you're cut....even though youve marched here since when? 2004?)(I'm just using him as an example and not trying to be derogatory in any way) So you see what I'm talking about? I think the larger guys, if there still on the guard, have been in the guard there for quite a while or they were AMAZING at there audition or something....or just a suck up... ;P.....

But I see where people are coming from about it being a visual distraction.....but isnt this sport about Youth Education?

It seems like its starting to slip away from that mentality......but still gotta love it :D

OK. After posting just above I went back through the thread. I should have done that first, sorry. Only then did I find post #56 which I'd missed, where you first said you landed with another corps. I'm glad. I'm glad you're marching with a corps that recognizes your talents and wants you.

You still might want to have that talk with somebody who evaluated you for Corps 1, and thank them for the opportunity, and tell them you landed elsewhere (you can be sure they'll be glad to hear that) and just ask, What should I be working on to have a better chance next year with you guys? Listen carefully to the answer, process it, file it away, work on it.

And then forget that old Dream Corps for awhile. Make your current corps your new Dream Corps. After all, they wanted you. I'm a firm believer in God and fate and that things often work out for the best, even if it doesn't seem so when it first happens. Next fall, you can think it through again, and maybe your old Dream Corps is still your Dream Corps, and maybe not. Maybe you're already there.

Yes I have seen larger guys on some of the top-tier corps but I think they might have been there since the corp started building (Like Crown and that big black guy, he's been there forever and I'm sure they wouldn't have just been like "oh well we're starting to get good....you're cut....even though youve marched here since when? 2004?)(I'm just using him as an example and not trying to be derogatory in any way) So you see what I'm talking about? I think the larger guys, if there still on the guard, have been in the guard there for quite a while or they were AMAZING at there audition or something....or just a suck up... ;P.....

Actually, this guy was a rookie to Crown last season, as was I. I'll share a story with you. There was a guy at Crown last season in the hornline. He showed up to the november camp weighing like 275 pounds. Had a bad audition, and apparently was told that he was out of shape like 5 times in his 3 minute playing audition. He came back in December, and lost something like 30 pounds between camps! He definitely made an impact on the staff. He ended up losing something like 55 pounds total before spring training, when he lost 40 more during the season. He went into ST as an alt, but ended up marching in every single show.

Just goes to show you. If you put your mind to it, you can accomplish anything. Good luck to you this season man!

I feel really bad at throwing that crown guy into this :P JUST for everyones info, I have alot of respect for him and it does show that larger guys can be in upper tier corps :D so yea hahah

Edited by xXThRowTHeFlaGXx

The comment about being "flowier" means you really may not have been cut because of your size. I have a friend who auditioned for Phantom in '05 and was cut because she wasn't "fluid" enough for movement - and this is a girl who had been spinning and dancing since she was three years old, and is a size four. The rest of us were absolutely floored (and teased her about it), but she didn't have the stylistic stuff they were looking for.

..But it looks like you've found a corps that is into your style, so congrats! =D

But I see where people are coming from about it being a visual distraction.....but isnt this sport about Youth Education?

It seems like its starting to slip away from that mentality......but still gotta love it :D

Yes, it is. However, don't make the mistake of thinking that is ALL it's about. It is also about being as compettitive as possible, and about performing at the highest concievable level. From a staff perspective, it is about creating an environment that will give the corps the best chance for success. The high level of instruction and education that occurs in drum corps is a means to achieving the highest level of compettitiveness possible. The education itself is secondary, which is why no one leaves the end of the season with a diploma.

In my experience, corps don't cut kids because they are fat... However, there are very talented musicians that are extremely overweight and can't keep up with physical conditioning. I know corps will cut kids that are at the back of the pack when the corps runs at camp. It doesn't matter how well you play if you can't do it on the move. Much is probably the same in color guard. It's all about making the best OVERALL product.

Yes, it is. However, don't make the mistake of thinking that is ALL it's about. It is also about being as compettitive as possible, and about performing at the highest concievable level. From a staff perspective, it is about creating an environment that will give the corps the best chance for success. The high level of instruction and education that occurs in drum corps is a means to achieving the highest level of compettitiveness possible. The education itself is secondary, which is why no one leaves the end of the season with a diploma.

The whole problem with your thesis is that you define success as competitive success. Not that you're alone in that, as it's a school of thought that has come to dominate the activity.

IMO there are dozens of things about the drum corps experience that are far more important in terms of the lessons the activity has to offer. The competitive aspect of the activity is destroying it, and the prime motivation causing the leaders of the activity to be unwilling, or unable, to make the necessary changes in direction that are needed to prevent the activity from imploding.

Also, if education is secondary, then the IRS should strip every drum corps who subscribes to your thesis of its tax-exempt status, as they are all chartered as educational organizations with that function as their primary mission. If that's not the case, the organizations involved should not be deserving of tax-advantaged status because of it. (Not to mention that it would also make all of the promotion and advertising around the activity fraud, as DCI is, more and more, putting all of its mission statement eggs in the "we are the uber performing arts education activity" basket.)

Edited by DCIHasBeen

The whole problem with your thesis is that you define success as competitive success. Not that you're alone in that, as it's a school of thought that has come to dominate the activity.

IMO there are dozens of things about the drum corps experience that are far more important in terms of the lessons the activity has to offer. The competitive aspect of the activity is destroying it, and the prime motivation causing the leaders of the activity to be unwilling, or unable, to make the necessary changes in direction that are needed to prevent the activity from imploding.

Also, if education is secondary, then the IRS should strip every drum corps who subscribes to your thesis of its tax-exempt status, as they are all chartered as educational organizations with that function as their primary mission. If that's not the case, the organizations involved should not be deserving of tax-advantaged status because of it. (Not to mention that it would also make all of the promotion and advertising around the activity fraud, as DCI is, more and more, putting all of its mission statement eggs in the "we are the uber performing arts education activity" basket.)

:thumbs-up: