Being Cut because you're fat?

Joffrey ballet is a bad example. They are world renowned and get lots of grants to where they don't need to make money to stay afloat. Other companies and performing arts groups do.

It's not uncommon for people working with dance companies to make money which means they are making a profit (alvin ailey's judith jamison makes 250k a year). A smaller company most certainly cannot rely on grants if they have no reputation

attached to their name.

Sorry, it is a fine example. You just chose to not read the link before you responded.

You assume that because a group pays performers that they are "for-profit". This is a common misconception.

The RED Cross has many many paid employees, as do symphony orchestras, dance companies, drum and bugle corps, museums and the like. That has no bearing on their status as not-for-profit.

They are all not-for-profit corporations.

In fact, most if not all arts org's are 501c3, just like most Drum and Bugle corps.

Take a look around on the site, enter some names and you will see exactly how organizations are chartered and their assets.

Some other examples

http://activecause.com/nonprofit-profile/c...d3e3c3838282321

http://activecause.com/nonprofit-profile/p...83b3c3737202324

http://activecause.com/nonprofit-profile/w...f3a383b37292627

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hate to break it to you, but your fitness industry must be incredible, as I have not only seen it, but have lived it.....you are making assumptions that 50 pounds overweight is some death number. I want you to take some time and go to a college level or above football practice. There you will see guys 100plus pounds overweight, that would be in the front of a block.

I'm sure his svelte clients love him for keeping true to his "no fatties" mantra. Ask any of the offensive linemen in the NFL or any college if they think they are in shape. Better yet? ask any of the defensive linemen that are trying to run around them unsuccessfully if they are in shape. Sure, its more difficult to lug around an extra 50lbs, but its clearly not impossible.

During the early 90's when dance really started to become a focus of the design teams, I started noticing that the egg shaped horn player was starting to disappear. There's no reason for it other than for looks, IMO.

Most everyone on here knows that desire goes a lot further than talent.

That said, the corps have every right to fill there ranks with whomever they choose. If they can fill up all the spots with perfect specimens, then that is their prerogative. Its well documented that people are shallow. Unfortunately, for some, that means they are forced to try even harder just to get a chance in the first place.

I know this kid and he is quite talented. And he is not crazy overweight. Go march Blue Stars! There are a bunch of people from your area that are going. Dont let anybody keep you down. keep fighting for it. You can totally make it, just not yet. Keep spinning!

I don't even know this kid, but absolutely, yes. If you want it take it. Blue Stars or any other corps will be lucky to have him (or her)

just to add on to the running block business... just b/c you're skinny, it doesn't mean you won't fall out of the block during the winter + early season either.

I don't even know this kid, but absolutely, yes. If you want it take it. Blue Stars or any other corps will be lucky to have him (or her)

the OP has a home for the summer and is happy about it

If you're good enough, you'll get a spot. Check out Cavies 2000, or Bluecoats 2005, there were some BIG freaking dudes.

This is true. Seen it with other corps besides the ones noted above. In fact, with every corps I have ever seen.

Just work harder or try another corps.

Sorry, it is a fine example. You just chose to not read the link before you responded.

You assume that because a group pays performers that they are "for-profit". This is a common misconception.

The RED Cross has many many paid employees, as do symphony orchestras, dance companies, drum and bugle corps, museums and the like. That has no bearing on their status as not-for-profit.

They are all not-for-profit corporations.

In fact, most if not all arts org's are 501c3, just like most Drum and Bugle corps.

Take a look around on the site, enter some names and you will see exactly how organizations are chartered and their assets.

Some other examples

http://activecause.com/nonprofit-profile/c...d3e3c3838282321

http://activecause.com/nonprofit-profile/p...83b3c3737202324

http://activecause.com/nonprofit-profile/w...f3a383b37292627

No I am pretty sure I clicked and looked over the link or I wouldn't have known it was the Joffrey Ballet. And my point is still very valid. Joffrey and big name companies do not need to make a profit due to their reputation and being able to get grants......other smaller companies cannot hack being non-profit, especially ones who don't get grants.

I know you can be non-profit and still pay people, but that is a luxury not needed to run the company. Many smaller companies cannot compensate their

performers, see drum corps.

look, corps are private organizations. they can take or cut anyone they want, regardless of how entitled to a spot you may think you are. Bottom line, if you actually DID get cut because you are fat, that is your own fault and you need to work out more and try again next year.

No I am pretty sure I clicked and looked over the link or I wouldn't have known it was the Joffrey Ballet. And my point is still very valid. Joffrey and big name companies do not need to make a profit due to their reputation and being able to get grants......other smaller companies cannot hack being non-profit, especially ones who don't get grants.

I know you can be non-profit and still pay people, but that is a luxury not needed to run the company. Many smaller companies cannot compensate their

performers, see drum corps.

*headdesk*

Please go read the thread from a few weeks ago about non-profit organizations. "Non-profit" doesn't mean "doesn't make a profit" any more than "for profit" means "makes a profit."

*headdesk*

Please go read the thread from a few weeks ago about non-profit organizations. "Non-profit" doesn't mean "doesn't make a profit" any more than "for profit" means "makes a profit."

Especially if you're an American auto maker....