Being Cut because you're fat?

eating disorders are a touchy subject... but i'm pretty positive that no staff member from any corps would say things in ANY way to make someone make unhealthy choices... i would put all blame on the eating disorder on the person who has it. Sorry if I am offending anyone, but it's just how I feel. Anyone I have ever known who has an eating disorder it is a personal mental issue, not caused by someone saying your overweight.

And that would be fine and dandy if we were talking about adults and their employers. But we're talking about educators dealing with young people who are put in their care essentially unsupervised for months at a time. I don't know of any corps that promotes or tolerates unhealthy practices by their members...exactly the opposite, actually. But it is absolutely incumbent on corps staffs and administrations to treat the health of their members both physically and mentally as their top priority. Eating disorders are a major issue in the dance and guard world and the staffers I know are absolutely aware of it and constantly on the watch for it. Does it still happen despite their vigilance? Sure, but that doesn't mean they take their responsibility any less seriously.

Anything less is totally unacceptable morally, legally and for the practical success of the organization itself.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i guess i'm too old skool. I remember the time that if you breathed,, you were in. Corps used to take kids of the street,,, teach and train and yes nurture,, and produce a good solid, respectable, polite member of the local community,, It's obvious it's not about the kids anymore,,, probably hasn't been for years,,, it's all about the money and winning,, (which in itself is a good goal,, but at what expense?)

Geeeez. The cold air getting to you up there?

What are you trying to say? Money and winning? Pleeassseee.

Most corps are doing the best they can to survive and you say it is about money?

Winning? It is about maxing out their programs.

. . .yes, DCI should consider themselves lucky they have such gallant internet white knights to ride in and prevent said floggings.

... yes, I knew you'd comment about me rather than the topic. It's flattering to know you care so much about what I have to say.

HH

This whole discussion, and any statements made in support of drum corps as a place for only the strongest and fittest makes me ill.

Sorry. So what then should drum corps be? If "fittest" is wrong, what is right? Everyone is going to be equal? We're all just going to do what we feel?

I share your concern that cost has blocked the drum corps aspirations of many a kids without means. That doesn't mean the emphasis drum corps places on excellence and achievement is wrong.

HH

And that would be fine and dandy if we were talking about adults and their employers. But we're talking about educators dealing with young people who are put in their care essentially unsupervised for months at a time. I don't know of any corps that promotes or tolerates unhealthy practices by their members...exactly the opposite, actually. But it is absolutely incumbent on corps staffs and administrations to treat the health of their members both physically and mentally as their top priority. Eating disorders are a major issue in the dance and guard world and the staffers I know are absolutely aware of it and constantly on the watch for it. Does it still happen despite their vigilance? Sure, but that doesn't mean they take their responsibility any less seriously.

Anything less is totally unacceptable morally, legally and for the practical success of the organization itself.

I don't really understand what you are trying to say, are you agreeing or disagreeing with me.. i will comment further once I actually understand what you are saying...

Are you saying it is on the staff.. like the staff is promoting the unhealthy practices?

People are cut from every section of corps (well, maybe not pit...at least that I've heard of) every year for not matching a profile corps are looking for that includes age, weight and height.

I don't know. Watch again this summer. You'll see as I saw each summer past that every section has individuals who seem to be too short, too tall and too wide. Most world class corps have several candidates for each open spot. You can't reduce the elimination process to one physical aspect when the evidence on the field is clear that many physical attributes are represented.

HH

I don't know. Watch again this summer. You'll see as I saw each summer past that every section has individuals who seem to be too short, too tall and too wide. Most world class corps have several candidates for each open spot. You can't reduce the elimination process to one physical aspect when the evidence on the field is clear that many physical attributes are represented.

HH

Well, I don't mean to say that there are absolute age/height/weight standards that are used. There aren't, to my knowledge.

But these things are absolutely taken into account along with the playing/spinning/marching ability of a prospective members. In my experience, they're usually used to distinguish between auditionees of approximately equal talent. If you've got two snare players who are basically equal in every other respect, but one is the same height as the rest of your 6' tall snareline, and the other one is 5'2, which one are you going to keep?

On the other hand, if that 5'2 snare is an all star talent and will be the best player in your line, then you're gonna take him and deal with the fact that it looks a little funny.

Old Jabba...

img008.jpg

Current Jabba

9302007reilly.jpg

After dang near having a heart attack in a parade I learned eating is optional.

Lots of friends that have known me in corps for ten years and haven't seen me in a while stone walk right by me without realizing it..

Mandarins hag a big dude soloist last season. Wicked Tone and Control. Totally off of what a "Typical" Mandarin player you would expect to see.

I don't really understand what you are trying to say, are you agreeing or disagreeing with me.. i will comment further once I actually understand what you are saying...

Are you saying it is on the staff.. like the staff is promoting the unhealthy practices?

All I'm saying is that the corps does have the responsibility to look after the health of its members, especially minors. If a member is showing clear signs of an eating disorder and the corps doesn't take action, they absolutely bear some responsibility for any health problems that member develops.