Other non-talent related criteria for being cut....

What if someone has asthma? Or severe allergies? What if they have high blood pressure? What if a person has a birth defect that had them born without (ie) all fingers?

Those would all be very difficult things to overcome and march with. It would be reasonable to assume that the afflicted person would be under prescribed medications or have to overcome some major obstacles, and would have to be completely checked out prior to marching.

And yet, these are things that effected people I marched with over the years I was in...

But here's the thing....those people I can think of off the top of my head (Barb Marony...no left arm from the elbow down, the mostly deaf girl in the 82 BD soprano line, the bari soloisy from 07 Oregon Crusaders) didn't let their conditions get in the way....the just went and did it...and quite well.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm glad I'm not the only one who says bees knees. Way to keep the phrase alive, man. I also like hoi paloi (sp?)

I debated... coulda gone with Cat's meow, c0k of the walk, the big cheese...

http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/the-bees-knees.html

What if someone has asthma? Or severe allergies? What if they have high blood pressure? What if a person has a birth defect that had them born without (ie) all fingers?

Those would all be very difficult things to overcome and march with. It would be reasonable to assume that the afflicted person would be under prescribed medications or have to overcome some major obstacles, and would have to be completely checked out prior to marching.

And yet, these are things that effected people I marched with over the years I was in...

One of my best friends marched quads and was diabetic. Lucky for him he had better hands then most people in the line, so it wasn't a horrible issue when his levels got low and had to sit out and down some fluids. Another one of my friends was contracted, but had an attack of chrones disease around march, and his doctor/family decided it was in his better interest not to have something like that happen on tour, so he gave back the contract. You're absolutely right - these conditions could easily prevent a person from marching.

Edited by 08Hawkeye

Now I'm not saying that I'm a god at colorguard, but my 5's were solid, angle tosses are my favorite kinda tosses so I CAN do them, and I felt like my skater turnes were very graceful.....yet I was cut......there's at least three people in my mind from the audition that couldnt do either of those 3 things I mentioned.....yet they still got a callback?

I don't know you. And I wasn't there. Maybe though, I can shed some light on your situation.

I recall April Gilligan, the legendary leader of the Cadets guard years ago, explaining some of her thinking around auditions and selections. She said that she doesn't necessarily want the best spinner - she wants the best potential.

It's not as simple as best performance in the audition. It's not just tossing five or any single aspect of technique. At the same time, technique is important and so is performance. What Gilligan and every caption head must do is choose a team capable exceeding expectations. There are a lot of intangibles and a certain amount of gut instinct in the process of picking a guard. And let's not forget, there are mistakes.

Maybe a mistake was made in your case. Maybe you were the one who would exceed the expectations and be the catalyst for greatness. Or maybe that was one of those other three, one whose performance in the audition didn't sparkle as much as the potential he or she showed. It doesn't matter. The staff had their reasons.

Michael Jordan wasn't the first pick in the NBA draft. There's no upside in worrying about the wrong choice. The only upside is improving and succeeding. We're not responsible for what other people think. We are responsible for how we view ourselves and how we use that view to propel the upward arc of our lives.

HH

Edited by glory

I'm not suggesting there is a direct comparison here, but whenever I've seen the preliminary auditions for "American Idol," many of those who were cut on the spot thought they had incredible voices and were most deserving of going on to Hollywood. I thought I had a pleasant speaking voice voice until I heard myself on tape and realized I sounded like a duck.

I'm not suggesting there is a direct comparison here, but whenever I've seen the preliminary auditions for "American Idol," many of those who were cut on the spot thought they had incredible voices and were most deserving of going on to Hollywood. I thought I had a pleasant speaking voice voice until I heard myself on tape and realized I sounded like a duck.

american idols ftw!

I'm glad I'm not the only one who says bees knees. Way to keep the phrase alive, man. I also like hoi paloi (sp?)

The Mutt's nuts has always been a favourite of mine... Maybe I should rephrase that... but I won't compromise on my UK spelling

The Mutt's nuts has always been a favourite of mine... Maybe I should rephrase that... but I won't compromise on my UK spelling

I'm rather partial to 'u' too...as a colour guard girl from the past, we'd listen to the music and 'get in the groove' :-)

I think the cavies have a 5'5 to 6'5 height requirement. Correct me If im wrong

Dunno if you saw their mello line for the last two years, but they have someone that is i believe 6'7