Lloyd Simpson passes away

Yesterday, Saturday, Jan. 17th Lloyd Simpson passed away while attending a business luncheon. Lloyd’s Drum Corps history began in 1950 as a member of the Irwin Drum Corps and the West Newton Drum and Bugle Corps as a bell and soprano bugle player. From 1953 through 1959 he played the baritone bugle with the Pittsburgh Rockets. At the end of the 1959 season Lloyd joined the Westmoreland Esquires and served as their Drum Major til 1962. 1964 found Lloyd returning to the Pittsburgh Rockets where he served as their Drum Major for one season. As an instructor Lloyd had been the drill arranger for the Westmoreland Esquires (1959-62), Catholic Daughters of America (1963-70), Findleyville Royal Crusader (1970-76), Erie Thunderbirds (1970-73), St. Joe’s of Batavia, N.Y. (1974-77), Cincinnati Junior Corps (1974-75) and the Auburn Purple Lancers of Auburn, N.Y. (1977).Lloyd had also served as drill arranger for a number of high schools in the Pittsburgh area from 1969 through 1980. Lloyd’s administrative history includes serving on the Board for the Westmoreland Esquires. From 1969 through 1977 Lloyd was a member of the All-American Judging Association where he judged both the Illinois American Legion (2 years) and VFW (5 years) State Championship contests, CYO Nationals (2 years) the VFW National Championships (6 years), Canadian Nationals (3 years) and DCI Finals (2 years). Lloyd also adjudicated with the National Judges Association and had been doing so since 1982.

Lloyd is a Charter Lifetime Member of the Pennsylvania Drum Corps Hall of Fame and also served on our Board of Trustees. Our sincerest condolences to his family. We have lost one of our finest members. My his soul rest in peace.

great guy and wonderful drum corps person... rest in peace

Yesterday, Saturday, Jan. 17th Lloyd Simpson passed away while attending a business luncheon. Lloyd’s Drum Corps history began in 1950 as a member of the Irwin Drum Corps and the West Newton Drum and Bugle Corps as a bell and soprano bugle player. From 1953 through 1959 he played the baritone bugle with the Pittsburgh Rockets. At the end of the 1959 season Lloyd joined the Westmoreland Esquires and served as their Drum Major til 1962. 1964 found Lloyd returning to the Pittsburgh Rockets where he served as their Drum Major for one season. As an instructor Lloyd had been the drill arranger for the Westmoreland Esquires (1959-62), Catholic Daughters of America (1963-70), Findleyville Royal Crusader (1970-76), Erie Thunderbirds (1970-73), St. Joe’s of Batavia, N.Y. (1974-77), Cincinnati Junior Corps (1974-75) and the Auburn Purple Lancers of Auburn, N.Y. (1977).Lloyd had also served as drill arranger for a number of high schools in the Pittsburgh area from 1969 through 1980. Lloyd’s administrative history includes serving on the Board for the Westmoreland Esquires. From 1969 through 1977 Lloyd was a member of the All-American Judging Association where he judged both the Illinois American Legion (2 years) and VFW (5 years) State Championship contests, CYO Nationals (2 years) the VFW National Championships (6 years), Canadian Nationals (3 years) and DCI Finals (2 years). Lloyd also adjudicated with the National Judges Association and had been doing so since 1982.

Lloyd is a Charter Lifetime Member of the Pennsylvania Drum Corps Hall of Fame and also served on our Board of Trustees. Our sincerest condolences to his family. We have lost one of our finest members. My his soul rest in peace.

I am so sorry to hear of LLoyd's passing. I consider Lloyd one of the three most influential people, along with Vince Bruni and Fred Gebhart, in encouraging me to get involved with teaching and judging after my junior corps days were done.

I will greatly miss seeing him at least a couple times a year at some DCA show that Eric Smith would drag him to or at the odd lunch date that we would have as he traveled through Buffalo on a business trip.

Rest in peace Lloyd and thank you for all your encouragement and advice over the years. Another true legend has left us. :tongue:

WOW....what a shocker. I first met and worked with Lloyd in early 1968 when he was President of the All American Judging Assoc. of Pennsylvania and was responsible for writing a non-symetrical drill for the New Erie Thunderbirds which proved very successful. A fine adjudicator, drill writer, and a true gentleman. May he Rest in Peace.