Inaugral parade

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure what protocol is for inaugural parades. It seems to me that the origin, of course, is for military units to pass in review in front of their commander in chief. It has since been expanded to include performing units from every state. But I wonder if protocol demands that all of these units simply pass in review, not really "perform" for the president the way they might in other parades. Dunno.

Groups had to keep moving....no "performances" allowed. Otherwise the parade would have been 6 hours long.

Groups had to keep moving....no "performances" allowed. Otherwise the parade would have been 6 hours long.

True enough. It was plenty long, as it was. And that was after everyone had to endure a lot of waiting in the cold.

Bowl game? I must have missed the bus for that one :glare:

*sighs* maybe Kiffin can get us in the "fast Lane" this year.

We played Tennessee in the Outback bowl in 2006. We kept a running tally of how many times they played Rocky Top during the game...we tallied 92.

Hmmmmm.

JUST 92!??!???!? They play it 92 times BEFORE they even get in the stadium!

I wonder if that could be PARTIALLY helped by giving the units a short block of time directly in front of the reviewing stand...even 30 seconds of drill in the President's face would be better than the doppler-shift of cruising straight by.

It just hit me, tho, a possible reason why neither Colts nor Cadets popped a left slide and let Obama have it (and we KNOW how loud Cadets have been in recent years...07...YIKES). The Secret Service might've gotten a LITTLE concerned with a lot of things pointed directly at him.

The drum majors technically weren't even allowed to salute Obama because we would be directly staring at him.

I'm still alive, so I guess the secret service cut us a break :music:

The drum majors technically weren't even allowed to salute Obama because we would be directly staring at him.

I'm still alive, so I guess the secret service cut us a break :music:

Yeah no kidding. I was going to "guide" the line (which involved looking directly left) as we went past the reviewing stand. Then I realized it probably safer just to glance over there while playing.

Actually, we guide left :w00t:

Funny how that works out....

edit - ok I just watched it. Not bad...for january really. I guess we can go ahead and write off the cadets though. Their lines werent perfect in january...9th place

I am utterly unconcerned about the Cadets placement in DCI competition. They (and the Colts) were (rightly or wrongly) representing Drum and Bugle corps as a whole in the parade.

I just hoped that they would look better than a college marching band.

And as for it being January, and early...

I suppose you are right.

I mean, the Cadets must be full of noobs who have never marched in a musical unit before, so the concept guiding off of a person marching near you and adjusting your step size to ensure that you are in alignment with the person left of you would be foreign to them.

Yet, they seem to have had enough experience this year to learn their signature straight-leg marching technique.

But apparently not enough for the other thing, (that they all learned in their high school bands. Where they DID march parades)

So, yeah, I was way off base. :laughing: