New DCP feature: "Off The Record - with Frank Dorritie"

JohnD

:w00t:

Just took time to listen...O M G

Now I've been able to listen to some old recordings from friends who had old records..but nothing like this!!

Frank and the folks at DCP and Fleetwood be praised.. :w00t:

Can someone confirm if the closing notes I hear on this segment are the Skyliners? I distinctly heard "Little Old New York", and that sounds very much like the Dreitzer arrangement I remember hearing from Sky when I first heard the '72 Fresh Air Fanfare during my drum corps infancy..

I'm like the rest...can't wait to hear future segments.. This is the best kind of history lesson the newbies should hear.

BTW - That solo of Bill Hightower is beyond belief, when you consider the type of instruments that they were playing on.. :laughing::w00t:

Pat

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks everyone for your kind words of encouragement. We're REALLY happy that people are listening and enjoying the first episode. Frank has more in production and we'll be getting them rolled-out on a (generally) monthly basis.

Please be sure to spread the word and let all of your friends know about the series.

-john

goalieguy said:

"Can someone confirm if the closing notes I hear on this segment are the Skyliners? I distinctly heard "Little Old New York", and that sounds very much like the Dreitzer arrangement I remember hearing from Sky when I first heard the '72 Fresh Air Fanfare during my drum corps infancy..."

Yes, indeed, it's the Skyliners in 1963. They played 'Little Old New York' off the line, and then a reprise of it as the exit with the triple tonguing you hear so clearly. Judging by the echo, I'd guess it's at Roosevelt Stadium, maybe the World Open. Too bad I have no needle for my turntable right now. I could check my records and confirm which recording it was!

Tommy Martin on the triple tonguing? Just wondering...

Donny

Donny,

Yes indeed, that is the one-and-only Ta-ta ka-Tommy Martin, and John Smith has great ears, too: Roosevelt Stadium all the way.

Thanks for listening, everybody. We can all be proud of the roots of our beloved activity. If we don't pass this history along, who will?

Donny,

Yes indeed, that is the one-and-only Ta-ta ka-Tommy Martin, and John Smith has great ears, too: Roosevelt Stadium all the way.

That '63 Dream recording of the Skyliners is an all-time classic, for sure!!! And as the PA announcer said at the beginning of Sky's show....the Skyliners "brought all of Yonkers, NY, with them this afternoon"....LOL

Great job, Frank!

Fran

Thank you and kudos to Frank and DCP for THIS significant history lesson. The Queensmen were a favorite of mine from waaaay back.....thanks for the memories.....

Jim

The podcast was great, but kind of a drag to have sit at the PC and listen to it. Any chance of making the podcasts downloadable?

thanks!

Thanks for your compliment. No, we don't have any plans to offer in a downloadable format at this time. Our sponsors (the folks that make the content possible) like the fact that you get to see their banners.

-john