This is more than likely NOT going to be from the movie's score by Corigliano. Sorry to burst the bubble.

Not surprised: that score is not exactly drum and bugle material!

That being said, I'm wondering how in the world ANY drum corps would be able to successfully translate the plot/theme of the movie (the hundreds of years of history of a single violin) to an 11 minute show. If they were focusing on just the soundtrack, it would make sense. Maybe it's just a show title, and it's really "red violin" as in blood red/dark-type classical music? Dunno, but I'll be curious to see what they do visually with this show concept

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not surprised: that score is not exactly drum and bugle material!

That being said, I'm wondering how in the world ANY drum corps would be able to successfully translate the plot/theme of the movie (the hundreds of years of history of a single violin) to an 11 minute show. If they were focusing on just the soundtrack, it would make sense. Maybe it's just a show title, and it's really "red violin" as in blood red/dark-type classical music? Dunno, but I'll be curious to see what they do visually with this show concept

This is a different instrument, but this is the first thing I thought of.

The Red Cello...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57FUphSl2vA...feature=related

PRLogo2009_big.jpg

"Summer of the Red Violin"- hmm, just doesn't quite have a good ring to it.

Looking at that logo, it looks a bit like Cesario's '03 Madison look with the half fleur-de-lis.

I believe if they used significant portions of the Corigliano score, we'd be seeing the largest placement drop in recent history. I'm so glad they are not pulling significant material from the film. We'd be talking about 10th, maybe 11th place at best. Just not a drum corps show music wise.

Think Shostakovich....and hopefully a remake of those wonderful red cocktail dresses from 1996!!!

I disagree - with the proviso that if any staff could pull this off, it would be Phantom's - maybe BD as well - or SCV too, come to think of it - but definitely Phantom. The music is passionate, sophisticated and full of life. But that's just me, I love Corigliano's music - if you'd really like to freak out an audience, you'd do "The Ghosts of Versailles" - "Long Live the Worm!" - Holy moly what a hoot of a dumb idea I just had....

However I think the red cocktail dresses are spot on. Bring 'em back.

regards - Jim