Marching for free

I don't know statistics here, but at least a couple of my friends who would otherwise be either a) not marching or b) marching with a different corps, were propositioned to march with [enter corps name here], and in return would not have to pay any dues all summer - marching a saturday night corps... for free.

Is this fair?

How can you justify this to the other members?

Discuss...

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If someone has that much talents then I think indeed it is part of them game that the corps sometimes need to play.

I would let someone march En Garde for free if they were providing direct support for corps ops equal or greater to the tour fee.

If a member had an equipment trailer and vehicle to tow it and provided the use of that gear in trade for a tour fee, I'd jump on it, since the costs of renting the tralier/vehicle would exceed the tour fee.

Fair or not, tho....it's up to the corps staff to decide. One of the tenord in 84 BD still owed his tour fees from 1983, yet marched the entire 84 season (it was his age-out year, as I recall.) I paid my full tour fee the day Mike Moxley picked me up from the airport when I moved to Concord in January....but I never felt it was unfair that my mother paid $450 while the tenor paid nothing....it was what it was. My job was to perform the show, not concern myself with organization finance.

I think most people on this forum would be shocked beyond belief at how many kids march for free (or for substantially reduced cost) in World Class.

I wish i was one of these people... what does it take to get a reduced cost? Like seriously... except for fundraising and sponsorships... I know some corps also offer scholarships, which is also cool. But I want a reduced price... especially when I spent a #### load of money on air fare (which I don't think I can do for another winter season)..

Most of the funds allocated to a member's dues so he/she can march for "free" are likely from alumni or other sponsors, not directly from the corps.

Remember that a contribution is not tax deductible unless it goes directly to the corps, so many corps have "scholarship funds" to channel those contributions to the members. Contributions made that are allocated to a specific member's dues are not tax deductible.

It may seem like the member is marching for free as a result of the corps' charity, but likely the funds are coming from alumni or other funds set up to provide scholarships. Some of these funds may be for just colorguard, for example, so if you're not a colorguard member you'll not be eligible to receive any benefit from that particular fund.

I wish i was one of these people... what does it take to get a reduced cost? Like seriously... except for fundraising and sponsorships... I know some corps also offer scholarships, which is also cool. But I want a reduced price... especially when I spent a #### load of money on air fare (which I don't think I can do for another winter season)..

I was one of those whom got the free ride. I worked bingo every other week, (and Chucky Cheese to pay the bills) lived Drum Corps daily and paid my dues. I lived in a crappy apartment with 4 other imports, and our furniture consisted of milk cartons, sleeping bags and a boom box. We ate right out of a warmed up can of chunky soup, and shared everything, including everything a brother would share with one another. When you had nothing, a brother had your back and shared, and you did the same thing for the next brother. We practiced in the park across the street. Thus the word, "camaraderie". I think the kids in DC are more spoiled in how they are treated these days. I remember the 78 Kingsmen eating PB&J's the entire trip home from finals...... The corps was broke. (that is another story though) Hell, now Corps fly places...... I cannot tell you how awful it was riding through Texas during the summer to either get to some show, or back from Championships....... Driving through Texas SUCKS! (especially with buses that had no air) Back in the days you could work and do things to offset the cost of tour. Please understand, Some things in life are not fair...get over it, and train to be one, and you will reap the reward. Don't sweat the small stuff.... immerse yourself into the goal...... being the best you can at whatever you are doing. Live the experience!

Edited by Johnny20

I was one of those whom got the free ride. I worked bingo every other week, (and Chucky Cheese top pay the bills) lived Drum Corps daily and paid my dues. I lived in a crappy apartment with 4 other imports, and our furniture consisted of milk cartons, sleeping bags and a boom box. We ate right out of a warmed up can of chunky soup, and shared everything, including everything a brother would share with one another. When you had nothing, a brother had your back and shared, and you did the same thing for the next brother. We practiced in the park across the street. Thus the word, "camaraderie". I think the kids in DC are more spoiled in how they are treated these days. I remember the 78 Kingsmen eating PB&J's the entire trip home from finals...... The corps was broke. (that is another story though) Hell, now Corps fly places...... I cannot tell you how awful it was riding through Texas during the summer to either get to some show, or back from Championships....... Driving through Texas SUCKS! (especially with buses that had no air) Back in the days you could work and do things to offset the cost of tour. Please understand, Some things in life are not fair...get over it, and train to be one, and you will reap the reward. Don't sweat the small stuff.... immerse yourself into the goal...... being the best you can at whatever you are doing. Live the experience!

Someone who doesn't know much about drum corps would probably think that all corps fly from show to show (how many times has a corps been on a plane in the last 10 years? honest question). They would probably think corps roll through Texas in limos. Corps eat caviar on the way home from finals (when in fact, I don't think most corps offer any food at all after finals). And yes, I've ridden on a bus where it was 100+. Not good times.

etc

As for the OP... sometimes people who have an ability that someone else needs. Often times those who are needed get an advantage over those who are less needed. Your really awesome irreplaceable soloist is a lot more likely to get breaks than someone who can be easily replaced.