Marching for free

I've asked this before in other threads and have never gotten a definitive answer (and since is kinda tangentally connected to the discussion at hand):

Is there any actual, written rule in DCI that prohibits a corps from paying members to perform? Is there any wording that requires "amateur" status to perform?

(disregard the fact the no current corps could afford it -- just talking in hypotheticals)

(and please don't bring up any not-for-profit reasoning -- that has nothing to do with it)

I'd have to pull and rulebook and take a gander....but I don't think there is any such rule.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

nope...according to quite a bit of people, drum corps is about teaching the kids, and has little to do with the fans, so a highly talented child would be taking a spot from someone that actually needs the teaching...

or...you could look at like...well, they talented kid needs less teaching, so he takes up less of the instructor's time.

not for profit enterprises aren't supposed to show favoritism...(unless you belong to ACORN, of course)

I was mostly joking. Your last sentence is completely ridiculous of course. Perhaps corps should quit having auditions, and just require potential members to submit a dci version of the FASFA.

Anyway, i agree with what others are saying. For the record, I payed full price for every season I marched, but the people I knew who didnt make all their payments were usually the ones who couldnt make the payments. I never heard of anyone who had the money getting in for free just because of ability.

Edited by salad315

I do not recall ever having been asked for a penny to march drum corps... I am very clear on that my parents didn't pay for it!

Now that I am back in corps I do have to pay... I guess time is catching up with me! :rolleyes:

Tony....how the heck are ya?

I must admit, a lively conversation based on a whine. ( Really, nothing personal)

Scholarships were not the norm way back when us old folks and founders of DCI marched. We patched together groups of eclectic people from the mouths of friends in hopes of forming a perfect line, whether it be Horns, Drums Colorguard. Corps have become big business now, and yet foundations for student leaning and achievement. A huge improvement in organizational stability. We lost some small local corps, although with hard work, and solis planning, there will be new ones that form.

Some get lost in loathing in their own turmoil while a part of DC, and some just enjoy ride. No matter what, everyone learns something, whether it is about life, or improvement of one's musical performance skills. NOT ONE Path is the same as the other in their experience in DC. I would love to go back and do another year.... Was it hard.... HELL YA, but I understood at the time of doing it that there was no place in the world I would have rather been. Marching with 120 plus best friends with whom I would trust with my life (and did on many occasions).

Say what you want, say what you will, Drum Corps is a life changing activity. EEEEEEEEYYYYYYYYAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!

Edited by Johnny20

A corps can make these kinds of arrangements if they please. I don't know why this is an issue. It's not our business unless someone starts talking about it (or bragging about it). Then there's a problem.

I payed every cent of my dues,, (it wasn't tuition then,,, lol).. and the ones that could pay went one step further,, and helped pay for those that couldn't. Okay, so our dues for for Jr C competive corps was like 60 bucks,, but back in the 70's that was enough too. when on weekend tour,, some of the kids didn't have lunch when we raided mcdonalds.. a number of us always brought some extra money,,, we never embarassed the kids without,,, we'd buy to big macs,, and then say, oh gosh,, i can't eat this,, you want it??

My lessons?? it's good to be charitable,, and i've lived that all my entire life. I've learned to not do things for a return,, but do it because you can.

Now, i do have preface,, I tried out for and made the mello line of KW Northstar in 78 an open class corps,, being in college, i had nothing to my name,, and i was offered free tour fees that summer, but i still had to pay the , i think, 300 dues/uni/horn fees..

I never took them up on the offer, i never marched that year,, something i have regretted since,,,

I guess things were different then,,, the local corps ruled,, the out of state/country member was the exception for the most part..

Edited by DoctorNik

There seem to be a few hot points in this discussion: ability to pay dues vs. high talent, and school vs. marching.

My initial topic was not about foregoing school to march, please void that from discussion. Simply the ramifications of a corps providing monetary incentive to march with them.

A couple other points to keep in mind: while there have been good points about members not having the financial means to march, the people I know on a free ride are not in financial crisis, they simply were either not going to march, or going to march somewhere else and pay dues there. Secondly, they are not soloists. Someone touched on it earlier, should someone who plays, say, mellophone be considered over someone who plays baritone? marimba vs. lead sop? More generally: a smaller section pool vs a larger section pool?

Also, no one has addressed yet how to justify this to other members. Obviously its mostly kept under wraps between those involved. I for one did not know anyone in my corps that was receiving assistance, however if you do know a person in that situation, do you think they have a responsibility, an obligation even, to be a standout performer? a leader? What duties curtail a free ride for member?

Lastly, in my true loyalty to DCP'ers, please avoid the "thats life, deal with it" argument, as well as the "my &*@! is bigger than yours, shut up" argument.

Edited by 08Hawkeye

I marched for free in my 2nd year. I wasn't going to return to the corps (and money was the main reason). One of the members could not do the tours due to a sudden family problem after the season started. They called me on a Sunday. I told them that I had no money so it was out of the question. They called back an hour later and said that the director said I could march for free. I was at rehearsal on Tuesday, and marched DCI East that Saturday, leaving for tour just 3 days after my 1st rehearsal.

Yep, it was probably unfair. However, they did receive money from the member that I replaced, and I jumped right in and worked very hard to perform in a hurry. I really didn't have $$$, and had to scrape up change so I would have at least a little on tour. Everyone knew, and yet it was heartening that they seemed glad that I was back, and I enjoyed marching another season.

I will be giving a full sponsorship this year for a kid to march there. Also, to this day, I am grateful to the director for allowing me to march for free, as there is no way I could have otherwise.

GB

I'd have to pull and rulebook and take a gander....but I don't think there is any such rule.

I think the rule would be with regards to being a non profit. Would the performer be considered (under tax laws) profiting from not paying dues? Great question.