Marching for free

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I gave a scenario in my first response....but not one commented on that one.

Yours is one of the only compelling reasons i've heard so far to allow a free ride. Of course, some people may argue, why not just volunteer its use for the summer as long as you're marching anyway, and reserve damage liability in case of an accident.

I think the rule would be with regards to being a non profit. Would the performer be considered (under tax laws) profiting from not paying dues? Great question.

I'm not sure about that....I don't think being a non-profit or for-profit has anything to do with it.

I just looked through my 07 DCI rulebook...I see NOTHING about member payments or free rides, not anything about paying a member to perform....no rules about it at all.

I'm not sure about that....I don't think being a non-profit or for-profit has anything to do with it.

I just looked through my 07 DCI rulebook...I see NOTHING about member payments or free rides, not anything about paying a member to perform....no rules about it at all.

True about not-for-profit having anything to do with it -- performers or anyone who got paid from a NFP would still have to pay taxes on that income like anyone else. The NFP tax laws refer to profits from the NFP itself, not its employees or contractors.

As to the rulebook -- thanks for looking. I'm surprised, really, that DCI has no rule about paying performers. Maybe they figured it would never happen. With orators and singers and such coming about, I predict that's it's only a matter of time ....

Anyway, I believe that it would probably cause more problems than not if a corps were to offer free rides based solely on talent -- it would have to be handled very carefully and would probably not be worth it. There's nothing illegal or unethical about it and I don't find it hypocritical at all, just perilous ....

Edited by Liam

Yours is one of the only compelling reasons i've heard so far to allow a free ride. Of course, some people may argue, why not just volunteer its use for the summer as long as you're marching anyway, and reserve damage liability in case of an accident.

Here's the way I look at it...if it comes down to bartering services for tour fees, vs asking those services be donated and STILL pay a tour fee, I might lose a member...especially if I'm skirting the 30/35 member DCI/DCA minimums.

The true question isn't one of fairness....it's one of what's best for the organization. If all I needed to bring in money wise was enough to cover music rights and DCI/DCA membership fees and all of our other needs were met via barter -- not just instruction, but material help like transportation, uniforms, etc -- I'd probably go for it.

This would not work for a large corps like a middle-sized Open or larger....but it could possibly work for a small Open with a limited tour...like En Garde.

It's not a one size fits all deal...it can't be.

Edited by 84BDsop