Announcing: Color Guard International

SBrancheau

Anyway, yes Malibu, I wish you would ask Chris about that, if he remembers...he was so burnt from being on tour and practicing, and watching the old broad toss his rifle, he must have been thinking, she gonna break it!! :P

Noooo.....I know Chris wouldn't have let you mess with his rifle if he thought you were going to break it. He knew it was in good hands! I thought you did rather well considering the 4 inch nails on each finger! :whip:

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Amen. Nancy, I salute you! And now I have a name to go with the face (and an entire page) of my '77 yearbook. :)

Oops, there was supposed to be a quote with that. I was replying to Sally's "Ah whoo ha!" post.

Edited by byline

Amen. Nancy, I salute you! And now I have a name to go with the face (and an entire page) of my '77 yearbook. :)

Oops, there was supposed to be a quote with that. I was replying to Sally's "Ah whoo ha!" post.

I salute you as well!

Wow you have the yearbook ha? You have so much memorabilia. It seems that way anyway. Didn't you help me a while back with some scores? I believe it was you!

Even though I still had one brand new 77 year book, (I bought one for Mom & Dad and my sisters) I still bought another on EBay last year. I'll tell you I paid quite a bit, I can't remember if it was $80 or $100 or more.

I just felt like the luckiest person in the world that first night I saw it. Oh there were a few grumbles, etc. but more people excited for me than not!

Anyway, it's funny because the shot I'm in at finals in 77 at the end of Can Can is the exact same head pose, looking up into the stands. It was just before our drum solo that year!

Boy what a wild ride it's been! For so many people I believe they look back on their drum corps experience as one of the greatest times in their life! :P

Edited by LancerFi

Wow you have the yearbook ha? You have so much memorabilia. It seems that way anyway. Didn't you help me a while back with some scores? I believe it was you!

I'm lucky. Part of the reason I have so many yearbooks is because a good friend of mine decided to give up all her ties to guard and corps, and so she got rid of all her mementoes. I had the yearbooks starting in 1979 (which was actually for the 1978 season), but none prior to that. She gave me all hers. So I had duplicates of several years for a while, till I passed those along to a friend on RAMD.

I'm still kicking myself because I don't have the 1987 WGI yearbook. That was the last year I went to finals in Dayton. I bought a program (but was so poor at the time, all I could afford was my program and my ticket; no food, even). I know, get out the violins! :whip:

Anyway, as I was leaving, somehow somebody''s Coke got spilled on it, ruining it. I didn't even have enough money to buy another program. For some odd reason, I've always lamented that turn of events. Oh, well.

I'd like to revisit a comment from several pages back. I hope this doesn't seem like I'm piling on to the other replies, because that's not my intention. I just want to add my opinion because I have some experience in this area.

It's the debate about whether dance makes you better on guard equipment.

I'd have to say that I agree with those who say it doesn't. That's on a strictly technical level, because technique on guard equipment (and marching) is very different from dance technique. I disovered this when I took ballet as an adult to incorporate some of that movement into my guard work with the high school guards I was teaching. I can't think of a single way in which learning ballet improved my technique on flag or rifle.

However--and I don't want to discount the importance of this--learning ballet did help me in one area: posture. My posture has never been great, but you can't even attempt to do ballet with bad posture. (Well, maybe you can, but it would be pretty difficult to pull it off.) I did improve my posture while marching corps, but ballet took it to a whole new level. (Wish I'd been able to retain some of that now.)

And learning ballet certainly helped me make body work a far more natural extension of my guard work. I could perform that far better, and with a lot more confidence, then I'd ever been able to perform it in corps. The reason is pretty simple: I learned technique. In drum corps at that time, whenever we added body work, it was just sort of a "monkey see, monkey do" approach to learning body movement. We really didn't learn technique the same way we did with our equipment.

Learning ballet technique--which is really pretty much the basis for all dance technique--greatly improved me in that area. I'd never be considered a dancer, but learning ballet helped me make that transition more smoothly into body work integrated with guard work.

So that aspect of my guard work improved. But did it improve my actual spinning, tossing, angles and twirling ability? No, I can't say that it did. That was an entirely different realm. I can't even say it improved my body control while performing those elements, because I'd already learned how to do that in corps. It helped me improve my body control while doing body work integrated with guard work. That's an important distinction.

Edited by byline

Hi Sue!

Great post!

I have to agree with you. Dance does teach you to be aware of your body, what it does and how that knowledge can help you...not with equipment work, of course, but of body carriage, posture and fluidity of movement.

A note to everyone: thanks for always stimulating discussion about something which we are all passionate about. I wish we could all meet face to face over a drink or two (or more b**bs )...I'd love to meet you all in person.