Announcing: Color Guard International

SBrancheau

well, my concern with this would be that DCP isnt an accurate representation of the entire guard/corps world. I dont think theres nearly as many disgruntled people as it would seem. Been to a WGI show lately? The ones ive been too in SoCal and Vegas are PACKED with excited, screaming people.

my question is, if this is REAL guard and this is what people want...why don't we see more of these guards?

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my gawd i'm such a fad follower then. i have a bunch of those little boxes all over the house. plus a few of those new fangled computer things too. :whip:

I have another addition to the governing body of CGI:

SBrancheau

LancerFi

Byline

Malibu

Thanks for "volunteering". Heh heh heh.

there are guards out there that have tasteful uniforms.  and there are those that don't.  as an instructor i refuse to put all my girls into unitards knowing that they don't all have the body for it.  but guards should have their own identity.  they in many cases should be dressed as a way to emphasize the music, not just blend into it.  and yes, some guard instructors have even taken that idea too far.  but a perfect example is '93 Cadets Kings Go Off to War show.  that guard helped to portray the vision of that show so well, and used a variety of guard work to further the vision.  if they were just in uni's that blended with the corps it wouldn't have had half the impact.

I want to share something way cool with you Liz. The guard guy with Cap sound was telling me how he lets the girls pick from a catalog what they would feel comfortable wearing. Like their "Prince of Egypt" show in 2001. He showed them the selections and they picked what they felt comfortable wearing.

I always respected him but he definitely stepped up a notch with me after that conversation. The feelings of the members and their comfort level was definitely a priority with him.

Edited by TerriDitt57

we let the girls have input this year with the uniforms. and yes they were uniforms they weren't costumes. while Allyson & I had picked out the style, we let them have their choice of color. in the end they all went with the same one that us, the instructors had picked, the black & silver tunic with the black pants. they thougth it looked classy. and it did. :) from Erin the string bean all the way thru to our heaviest girl. they looked great.

but some people have a line of thinking that if the particular thing worn doesn't match the corps proper (and what did winterguard's wear before 1985? all the ones i have seen on video including videos from 1980-1985 the performer was wearing something themed to the music), anyway i digress, that it becomes a costume. and i certainly disagree with that theory.

Legal which theory do you disagree wtih (just a clarification). And from a design perepctive, many times the cg is different from the corps as it allows them to create new visual pictures. I do design "costumes" I call them that. They are designed to (1) fit in with the corps but allow for some visual distinction between the corps proper and cg units, (2) create a tone, mood, idea that corresponds with the music and show concept, and (3) engage the audience on an artistic journey.

Corps and WG is performance art.........so really all sides of the coin are correct.