Announcing: Color Guard International

SBrancheau

my problem is with the way that some older performers/ fans insist that what a guard wears today is a costume but that back in the day they wore real, true uniforms. in truth it is either one or the other, then and now. not 2 different creatures.

somehow you think i have this idea that what the guard wears should resemble the corps or band. i don't. i think it should be tasteful and body conscious of the people wearing them.

but i am offended that some people will say what i dress my guard in a costume as a way of putting them down because they aren't in something out of 1978.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

we let the girls have input this year with the uniforms. and yes they were uniforms they weren't costumes. while Allyson & I had picked out the style, we let them have their choice of color. in the end they all went with the same one that us, the instructors had picked, the black & silver tunic with the black pants. they thougth it looked classy. and it did. :) from Erin the string bean all the way thru to our heaviest girl. they looked great.

That's great! I think it is important that everyone feels comfortable in what they have to wear.

They were definitely costumes in Cap Sound. They looked great tho.

but i am offended that some people will say what i dress my guard in a costume as a way of putting them down because they aren't in something out of 1978.

Maybe you are being overly sensitive and wearing your feelings on your shoulders. I don't think anyone took that perspective at all. WGI SHOULD use constumes, dance SHOULD(with balance, precision, and cleaniness)be encouraged. On the field the guards IMO SHOULD match the corps. They are supposed to be one unit right? My question would be why would your need costumes, dance, equipment work to convey the emotion, and message of the music? Wouldn't that seem like you are driving a little hard to make a point? Why does one think that WGI and DCI from a colorguard perspective is the same? They are two different beast, that should be treated two different ways. That is one point I have been trying to make. What SHOULD be encoraged in one(costumes, dance,etc) doesn't always translate well to the other. On the field it should look like one unit. Indoors you don't have that constraint and you are open to do as you please. Indoors were every dance move is extremely visual to the crowd and judges, it should be used in balance with the equipment. On the field unless you are wearing white sleeves and pants, 70-80% of all dance moves are completely lost to the press box. Great example, look at the 1985 BD guard. As long as they kept props, butterfly wing flags, and other things in their hands, they were a GE marvel. As soon as they put all the equipment down, they visually went silent on the grass background on the high camera angle.

Costumes are appropriate in WGI. I just don't think guards should be distinctively different looking than the corps on the field. I hope that doesn't make you feel any less, or disrespected in any way.

The bottom line to my opinion and view is this:

What the guard wears should be tasteful, comfortable, confidence inducing, and relative to said corps it should NOT take away from the equipment or the work.

Poor kids sometimes have less than perfect bodies, yet the instructors are putting pure rubbish on them..forcing them to look awful, thats out of line in my opinion.

Some of these costumes do NOT enhance or aid in the telling of any story, they exploit the person wearing it and force laughter from the crowd.......I mean, these are KIDS !!!! how are you building their confidence and teaching them ?? no excuse !

The colors !!! Some of these instructors are so full of themselves and so ego driven that they think they are Gods gift and what they think is appropriate MUST be loved and adhered to....sorry, it's not !!

The most awful combinations have been surfacing of late, and they don't help to enhance any corps show, or flatter any member of any guard

I dont particularly think white boots, mini skirts and aussies is the way to go, or circa 1978 styling either...but what's out there today, in some corps, is too far, and tasteless...it's sad when you are remembered not for what you spin, but for what you wear.

~G~

Edited by GMichael1230

no, you worded your opinion very well. there are others, this board and others, that don't take the time to make their points without offending today's guards in the process. in alot of cases their words are just throw out there with no regard for the feelings of the members or the instructors. just that ALL of today's guard is wrong wrong wrong.

thank you so much for your input. :) it was greatly appreciated.

when some poor innocent girl has exceptional talent and style...but instructor, who thinks he is God and his/her concept is more important than the welfare or feelings of the said girl, decides to outfit the poor thing exposing layers of flab (no mock intended whatsoever) and cheating this girl out of being appreciated...thats a gross misuse of power, and "cart blanche' mentality to have creative freedom...there has to be a line drawn........nevermind 1978, or 1988, or 1998....taste is taste, styl eis ubstance, trash is always trash, its not subjective, there should be a standard.

I think its disgusting how some of these instructors have no regard for the feelings of the children..they are just kids

~G~

there are others, this board and others, that don't take the time to make their points without offending today's guards in the process. in alot of cases their words are just throw out there with no regard for the feelings of the members or the instructors. just that ALL of today's guard is wrong wrong wrong.

I know I dont think that or represent myslef that way. I love many of the things about today, Im just debating matters at hand.

There is alot about todays' guard that is still right, right, :P right

~G~

On the field the guards IMO SHOULD match the corps. They are supposed to be one unit right? My question would be why would your need costumes, dance, equipment work to convey the emotion, and message of the music? Wouldn't that seem like you are driving a little hard to make a point? Why does one think that WGI and DCI from a colorguard perspective is the same? They are two different beast, that should be treated two different ways. That is one point I have been trying to make. What SHOULD be encoraged in one(costumes, dance,etc) doesn't always translate well to the other. On the field it should look like one unit. Indoors you don't have that constraint and you are open to do as you please. Indoors were every dance move is extremely visual to the crowd and judges, it should be used in balance with the equipment. On the field unless you are wearing white sleeves and pants, 70-80% of all dance moves are completely lost to the press box. Great example, look at the 1985 BD guard. As long as they kept props, butterfly wing flags, and other things in their hands, they were a GE marvel. As soon as they put all the equipment down, they visually went silent on the grass background on the high camera angle.

Costumes are appropriate in WGI. I just don't think guards should be distinctively different looking than the corps on the field. I hope that doesn't make you feel any less, or disrespected in any way.

Well, here's a case in point. One guard I tought had a UNIFORM that was obviously a color guard uniform meaning it was a cute figure flattering body suit (not tight) with the pillazo (sp) pants, etc. It was in the school colors and had sequins, etc. They wore that for parade. It's the same uni they've had for about 4 years now. They wear it with pride. Their field show one year was Fiddler on the Roof. It would look really REDICULOUS for them to be wearing this sequined thing for a show about poor russian villiagers, eh? I mean...I'm not saying you have to dress them like poor russian villiagers....but you have to agree a bright flashy uni for that type of show would have looked lame.

man, I'm gonna get my ### kicked for this one

But this comment is to be drawn more towards senior guards, rather than young kids. Do you think it's fair to make the entire guard to wear a big ol' potato sack because a few girls wouldn't feel comfortable in anything a little more body concious?

Discuss.......

But this comment is  to be drawn more towards senior guards, rather than young kids.  Do you think it's fair to make the entire guard to wear a big ol' potato sack because a few girls wouldn't feel comfortable in anything a little more body concious?

I think this applies to guards in general, not just senior guards. That's because I have a bit of a problem with the whole "focus on body" thing being a requirement for marching guard. My high school marching band still had more of a majorette-style guard in the first couple of years I was a member (I'm showing my age, here), and they actually had a weight limit. If you were above that limit, you couldn't march. I guess I'd hoped we would've got past that point by now, that the focus would be not on the body of an individual, but his or her talent.

That's what having a uniform accomplishes. Everyone looks good in the uniform regardless of body type. Which then opens color guard to all individuals who are talented enough to march. The focus lies not on their looks, but their ability. Which, IMO, is a much more egalitarian--and realistic--way of doing it.

Unfortunately, it looks like the pendulum has swung back to the days of the majorette. . . .

A uniform doesn't have to be a "potato sack" to make all the members look good. It is possible to have an attractive, stylish uniform that isn't form-fitting. The thing is, you don't see those much nowadays.

Edited by byline