Announcing: Color Guard International

SBrancheau

Lisa,

Your point is well taken. Considering that almost if not all corps do theme shows, I can see your point. However, I have seen some constumes on guards in recent years that had no bearing at all on the theme of the show. It looked purely like they were showing flesh just because they could much the same as some dance moves are incorporated into alot of shows. Just because you can! As much as I like my Cavies, just what relationship did their 2002 costumes have to their show? We did "The Planets" show in 1985 and 95 and didn't wear spacesuits. LOL :P And PR did "Spartacus" in 1982 and didn't particularly look like romans or gladiators. I completely got their show because they used their equipment ,and body motions to convey the story and interpret the music. However, I am a reasonable man(and you will find that out in person next year) so I will give you your props for making your point.

As long as I live there are going to be several words spewing outta me mouth. Appropriate, precisce, clean, unison, and variety. Still waiting to see it on the field though.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

man, I'm gonna get my ### kicked for this one

But this comment is to be drawn more towards senior guards, rather than young kids. Do you think it's fair to make the entire guard to wear a big ol' potato sack because a few girls wouldn't feel comfortable in anything a little more body concious?

Discuss.......

i think the can of worms just exploded...

A uniform doesn't have to be a "potato sack" to make all the members look good. It is possible to have an attractive, stylish uniform that isn't form-fitting. The thing is, you don't see those much nowadays.

it think that has to do with the actual focus on fashion tho as well. what are sooo many teens and older wearing? body conscious fashion. from low slung hip huggers, tight capri pants to belly shirts, halters & one shouldered tops.

example: 1996 was what i refer to as the year of the baby-doll dress. short skirt, high waist and came in various colors and shades. early in the season i went to the usual bunch of shows, NJ, Bristol, RI & i think 1 in Mass. it seemed 8 out of 10 guard instructors all had the same idea. lets put the girls in a baby doll dress. but by the time i got myself down to Orlando many of the guards had changed their uniforms into a different variety of things leaving Phantom and i think 1 other still "baby dolling" it onto the field. did i like the baby doll dress on the girls? no, because on a heavier girl it looks one step away from a maternity dress, albeit a cute short skirted one. sigh, seems that i'm never happy am i? :P

i think some guards go with a design for a guard uniform based more off of what they know these kids are already wearing. and YES adults too. there are many many who have the bodies to make it work. others, well, you have seen the results. wait :whip: maybe i should be arguing for the guard mumu now that i think about it. :whip:

again, just my 2 cents.

it think that has to do with the actual focus on fashion tho as well.  what are sooo many teens and older wearing?  body conscious fashion.  from low slung hip huggers, tight capri pants to belly shirts, halters & one shouldered tops. 

Just because people are wearing them, doesn't mean they SHOULD be wearing them...blech! ampssuck

Sorry, low slung jeans with bell-bottoms does NOTHING for a girl...unless she's a size 2...most girls and women that are wearing those styles SHOULDN'T be wearing those styles.

I'm going to knock my own high school guard here. They put the girls in black yoga pants (jazz pants, call 'em what you want) and all had a navy blue velvet top on...some were spaghetti strapped, some were sleeved, some with a split at the midriff that showed the belly...you get the idea...uniform, but not uniform. It looked messy and I was focusing more on what each was wearing than what they were doing.

Believe it or not, that's the beauty of uniforms: the uniformity. One is not distracted by what's on the body and can focus on what's being presented on the field or gym floor.

An amazing concept, isn't it? b**bs

Uniforms...a concept whose time has come. And should stay.

On this thread who is talking about outfitting bands, and who is talking about outfitting a drum corps DCI or DCA?

Do any of the DCI outfits remind anyone of baton twirlers? Let's face it, the band kids where I came from were not what you're talking about when you talk about your bands. It was almost a disgrace, our H.S. Band I mean. But the more I think about it, the outfit I liked least was the baton twirler as in 1 baton twirler, and the costumes seem to look more like that...

Actually I marched from 70 on and I certainly liked the latter years better than say my original year. Actually my original year was 63 as the Reveries Senior Mascot, but Crusaders always beat us....then there was 2-7....

So, I'm trying to figure which came first, the spandex band girls, or the spandex guard/dance troupe girls?

N

Huh??

Nancy, you lost me...

Of course, it could be the muscle relaxers I used last night...I'm not firing on all cylinders.

Imagine that... :whip:

On this thread who is talking about outfitting bands, and who is talking about outfitting a drum corps DCI or DCA?

Do any of the DCI outfits remind anyone of baton twirlers? Let's face it, the band kids where I came from were not what you're talking about when you talk about your bands. It was almost a disgrace, our H.S. Band I mean. But the more I think about it, the outfit I liked least was the baton twirler as in 1 baton twirler, and the costumes seem to look more like that...

Actually I marched from 70 on and I certainly liked the latter years better than say my original year. Actually my original year was 63 as the Reveries Senior Mascot, but Crusaders always beat us....then there was 2-7....

So, I'm trying to figure which came first, the spandex band girls, or the spandex guard/dance troupe girls?

N

Do you mean the uniforms you see frequently on majorettes or dance teams??? :whip:

Sally, great thread. Sign me up. I never marched CG and mever even marched Drum Corps - just HS band "back in the day".

To me - JMO here - two points are most relevant about the uniform/costume issue. And, for the sake of clarity, I'm defining "uniform" as something that matches the rest of the corps - not necessarily a "corps uniform with skirts" ala the 70's, but something that largely matches the color scheme and style. I'm defining "costume" as something that does not match the rest of the corps but is designed separate from the corps uni design. May be designed to match the show or may not be. The definition junkies out there can get me for defining things this way and say there is really no difference, but I think it helps to communicate the ideas to make this distinction.

OK, now to the two points. One: IMO, CG uni's that match the corps tend to help produce one cohesive, coherent, flowing show. CG "costumes" that have no bearing on corps colors, etc., tend to help produce the effect of two separate shows taking place - one by the corps and one by the guard. My preference is one cohesive show, so I tend to like uni's better. Mandarins last year would be a good example.

Two: In a time when corps are literally begging their fans to support them with more money and when they are srcaping to pay for gas, instruments, etc., WHY IN THE WORLD are they taking on the unnecessary expense of changing CG costumes every year? I can see no justification for this in the current economy.

There are some CG costumes that go along with the show well. Someone mentioned Cap Sound in 2001 - those costumes were uniquely appropriate to that show. Again in 2002, the black hoods really emphasized the theme of the opener. Cavies' CG costumes last year (I think someone asked about this) emphasized the "frames" with their piping in different colors. The colors went along with the colors of the flags used in the first part of the show, and of the pipes used in the percussion movement.

It can be done well. But to me - and this is just opinion here - you always win by sticking with the corps' look for the CG uni's. And the economic issue is NOT an opinion.

--Andrew

OK, now to the two points. One: IMO, CG uni's that match the corps tend to help produce one cohesive, coherent, flowing show. CG "costumes" that have no bearing on corps colors, etc., tend to help produce the effect of two separate shows taking place - one by the corps and one by the guard. My preference is one cohesive show, so I tend to like uni's better. Mandarins last year would be a good example.

Andrew,

Costumes that have worked incredibly well, IMO...BD 2001 and Cadets 2002.

the BD guard move where they come down center stage and do the Fosse-esque block feature is one of my all time favorite guard moves, and it would have looked sily wearing the more traditional 'uniform' look, IMO.

Cadets guard in the 40's outfiuts...also fit what they were doing far better than corps-style unis...IMO.

Mike