Do you think this is acceptable?

While I am totally entertained by DCI and the dedication and commitment of the youth, I am beginning to have an issue with the way many of the participants are going about getting the money to perform. Asking (almost begging) for money via Facebook, MySpace and email to pursue an activity almost distracts from the activity itself. I was just reading the Scholarship discussion and it doesn't seem fair that some people get to march for free while others do not but unfortunately that is what this world is coming to. It is in sports, the arts, business, etc. If you want to pursue something in life, work hard, find sponsors (the old art of letter writing) and make it happen for yourself. Don't depend on others to get you there.

Seems like they are working hard trying to find sponsors - using all of the modern tricks and tools available.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems like they are working hard trying to find sponsors - using all of the modern tricks and tools available.

:smile::cool::sad::doh: :doh: :mat::doh:

It's not a surprise to me but I am finding that it is very hard to get any type of sponsorships for this summer. I got a little bit of help from friends... all it did was pay for one camp.. which I feel horrible about because now I might not even be marching.... because I am having no luck. I have done everything but make a facebook group yet and go door to door. I have been to businesses, been to just about everywhere. I've been professional about it. And everyone is truly sorry, no one has any money to spare right now. Heck, I think it would be good business for DCI to take a year off so things don't get too far behind. This season is going to hurt in the pockets, just as much as last season... it's only going to be worse, gas prices are already on their way back up just in time for summer. I've talked to many friends, we all really want to march, but finding sponsorships is just hard this year. I still have a few things I'm going to try to do, including door to door... but everyone is dirt poor, and if they aren't they are saving any money they can. I haven't seen anything that makes me think this economy will get better soon... stimulus package my ###, it's not going to do much. It's all going to take time. I'm probably just going to save up for next year.. and even then maybe i won't be able to march. At least I got one year, and #### was it a great year to march.

Oh and yes I don't see a problem with the facebook stuff.

Before I sound like one of the old timers complaining about yutes with a sense of entitlement, I'd like to merely say this: If you want it bad enough, you'll find a way to make it happen. I worked two jobs. I pumped gas at night and did "whatever it took" to meet all of my financial obligations and still be able to march. It's part of the deal... the ability to translate dreams and goals into ACTION.

Good luck.

I will always be grateful to those that were able to donate to my son's age-out year. Without their help he would not have been able to participate. There were many people that helped us out that year and to them I will be forever grateful, and you all know who you are. I love you all.

While I am totally entertained by DCI and the dedication and commitment of the youth, I am beginning to have an issue with the way many of the participants are going about getting the money to perform. Asking (almost begging) for money via Facebook, MySpace and email to pursue an activity almost distracts from the activity itself. I was just reading the Scholarship discussion and it doesn't seem fair that some people get to march for free while others do not but unfortunately that is what this world is coming to. It is in sports, the arts, business, etc. If you want to pursue something in life, work hard, find sponsors (the old art of letter writing) and make it happen for yourself. Don't depend on others to get you there.

Those who are using the tools of the time are doing what you suggest: making it happen for themselves. They've auditioned, some have signed contracts already, and they want to march. The art of internet presence and compelling your audience is just as valuable as that "old art" you speak of. Why not take advantage of the most powerful communication tools available?

Haven't we all agreed already that this generation has way too much of a sense of entitlement already?

yea... all the 15-25 year olds...

are the ones getting millions of dollars in bonuses when their companies lose money.

they are the ones getting oral sex instead of being president

they are the ones who sit on their hands while the US gets attacked three times in 7 years.

they are the ones presenting false information that costs hundreds of thousands of lives

they are the ones who won't give up their private jets

they are the ones demanding increases in social security and medicare

they are the ones who pay $150,000 for clothes for a few months

they are the ones who think they are too good to pay their taxes

they are the ones demanding that the government do more to help them

yea, those 15-25 year olds are exactly what's wrong with this country today.

and finally, not everyone has a local corps.

Edited by soccerguy315

and finally, not everyone has a local corps.

... and not all local corps are much of a cost-savings compared to marching another corps out of state.

Out of curiousity, I calculated the costs of a local corps vs the Scouts, and the total costs were pretty equal. Main difference was that the local corps does not have move-ins or cover any member costs (other than training, of course) until mid-July. The food/gas for going to/from local rehearsals 60 miles away for weekend camps plus daily rehearsals from mid-June to mid-July adds up to at least two round-trip flights to Madison.