Phantom Regiment 2009...

I really wish they would play some stuff from their 2003 show. There's some great mello stuff throughout that whole show

They did for a while. Canon in D. Can't remember if it was 05 or 06.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My one regret from Finals night last year is that the corps only played Elsa after finishing their show. Considering they warmed up off field with some Canon, I'd love to have heard that played front and center for the crowd. I was truly hoping to hear Fire of Eternal Glory, as well.

if i were to guess the reason as to why they only played one more piece:

it was probably due to a noise ordinance that doesn't allow for loud music after a certain time. i think that's why they were trying to rush everyone off the field after retreat. just a guess though.

I wish they would've chosen New World for their '09 show. I have listened to the Red Violin soundtrack many times now and have yet to be able to get into its themes and variations. I'll give it high marks on complexity and technicality, even voicing, but there isn't a catchy tune worth huming along to that would make me retain any part of this soundtrack to memory. I hope PR can pep it up and find something within this soundtrack that'll be a theme worth remembering. Call me old fashioned, but winning over the crowd comes before all else. Tug at their heart strings with the emotions of a catchy tune and you'll have them eating out of your hand. The '08 show proved that.

I've heard that, and I am sticking to the prediction that the 06/08 model will be adhered to...more than in 08, less than in 06...one, maybe two soundtrack pieces + JD's selections = magic!

Am I misunderstanding? How come no one has mentioned Amazing Grace?

HH

/thread!! just kidding, mods!! GRRRREAT call, glory!

Although the PR Classics 2 CD mentions Amazing Grace being from '93, it originated a year or so prior. I was present when it first debuted, and it definitely has a few special meanings to those who know it best.

Amazing Grace...mmmmm...medium well, please! Grandfather's favorite hymn, so when I discovered drum corps, about 2 years after his death, I can't help but think that helped stoke my love for the corps. And Corey says 1992 was its debut...nice! I was among the first to hear it--that's sweet! Adds to my experience/memory. Thanks for the info, guys.

yeah,, pearl drums,,, everyone knows that dynasty drums can't bring a #1 drum line geesh..

hehe

Man, the line this year could have banged on trash cans and 55-gallon cans of whoop-### and nobody would have taken that trophy from them.

:tongue:

Present and accounted for!

I wish they would play the song the corps was named after ( by LeRoy Anderson )

Good call! Of course, I think there's a reason none of us has ever heard it and the corps has never (ever?) played it...not as good as Sleigh Ride, me thinks!

it was probably due to a noise ordinance that doesn't allow for loud music after a certain time. i think that's why they were trying to rush everyone off the field after retreat. just a guess though.

Rule change suggestion for Indy: CLOSE THE ROOF for retreat, and BLOW OUR FACES OFF!!!

I thought when they said, "The field is yours," it meant...the rest of the night??? Oh well.

I don't really care what they play for their encore (as long as Elsa's is included), but I do know that, unlike several corps, it will be WELL REHEARSED and WELL PERFORMED...which I appreciate very much.

I have long respected Phantom and Cadets for actually taking a decent amount of their summer rehearsal time to make sure the encore is (like my steak) WELL DONE.

I just got the PR 08 Tour DVD (I recommend it very much) and my wife and I watched it last night. She made the comment about how Phantom actually learned TWO very difficult music books in 08. She also made a valid point that a corps that performs an encore that is just a repeat of what the audience just heard is denying the members the educational rewards of learning another book or is so focused on competition that they don't think their kids can pull off both.

I don't really care what they play for their encore (as long as Elsa's is included), but I do know that, unlike several corps, it will be WELL REHEARSED and WELL PERFORMED...which I appreciate very much.

I have long respected Phantom and Cadets for actually taking a decent amount of their summer rehearsal time to make sure the encore is (like my steak) WELL DONE.

I just got the PR 08 Tour DVD (I recommend it very much) and my wife and I watched it last night. She made the comment about how Phantom actually learned TWO very difficult music books in 08. She also made a valid point that a corps that performs an encore that is just a repeat of what the audience just heard is denying the members the educational rewards of learning another book or is so focused on competition that they don't think their kids can pull off both.

Here here!

As much as I've been turned off by the Cadets' field shows the last few seasons, I've never failed to be impressed by their encores. Phantom's encores have moved me to tears the last couple years, and Crown is another corps that's making serious effort to get the "post-game" show in good order.

They did for a while. Canon in D. Can't remember if it was 05 or 06.

it was 06

I wouldn't mind hearing The Flower Duet again.

Gershwin

But the George and Ira Gershwin songbook with all torch songs.