WHAT were they thinking about?

Jim Nevermann

Ugliest sounding things ever, IMO. Slap slap slap....gee let's build some tunable drums....but we'll just leave out the shell to provide the tone and resonance.

So what you ended up with were tunable slappy noises. :tongue:

I remember Bayonne using them, as you found. I have this vague memory that Dennis may have been involved with creating the things, but I am not sure on that.

Yeah, the Bridgemen did use them-but mainly as props for the snareline to do some fancy stick/timing work. I think the Bridgemen actually marching roto-toms was before my era. The roto-toms were really popular with high schools in the late 70s I think b/c people were tired to carrying the heavy timp-toms. I started on some 14, 16 & 18 inch monsters and other hs were marching even larger sets. So the roto-toms looked good, until you really tried to play on them or hear them.

Bridgemen marched a set of roto-toms 76 through 79, then used individual roto-toms on the front sideline for the percussion feature in 82 and 83. Madison also marched roto-toms in 76 and 77, as did a few other corps. For the most part, they took the place of the timbale/bongo combination that had been used by others in the earlier part of the decade.

There have been several variations of shell-less drums used in drum corps over the years, but none of them worked all that well. I will say, in roto-tom defense, that they're quite functional as a concert or drumset instrument. If I'm looking to add to the variety of sounds and don't want to cart in more double-headed toms, a set of rotos off to the left can fill a lot of roles.

Edited by mobrien

Roto's are still a good instrument for clever applications.

I think any corps that comes out with THESE square/cube whatchamacallits will have really done something different...

SQDM1G.jpg

Edited by GGarrett

Bridgemen marched a set of roto-toms 76 through 79, then used individual roto-toms on the front sideline for the percussion feature in 82 and 83. Madison also marched roto-toms in 76 and 77, as did a few other corps. For the most part, they took the place of the timbale/bongo combination that had been used by others in the earlier part of the decade.

As a color...or neat visual...they are fine. The problem was that pre-pit the player had to carry them...and that meant they had to be played...and played....and played...far more often then they should...same goes for marching bells.

Bayonne did a nice bit with them at Scotch Plains HS this past Saturday when they appeared at a Day of Percussion. Dennis got HS kids form the audience to come up and do a little roto thing...neat and fun.

Dennis got HS kids from the audience to come up and do a little roto thing...

Dennis: as in Dennis DeLucia? "Now there's a name I haven't heard in a long time." [Obi Wan Kenobi-- Star Wars: A New Hope]

Is Dennis a full time musician or what? Other than his [former?] connection with "Row Loff Music", I don't have the slightest idea where he works now... although, in This Scary Economy, where one "works now" can be an increasingly problematical state.

Edited by Jim Nevermann

Dennis: as in Dennis DeLucia? "Now there's a name I haven't heard in a long time." [Obi Wan Kenobi-- Star Wars: A New Hope]

Yes, THAT Dennis. :thumbup:

His daughter is playing bass in Bayonne's line, fyi.

Is Dennis a full time musician or what? Other than his [former?] connection with "Row Loff Music", I don't have the slightest idea where he works now... although, in This Scary Economy, where one "works now" can be an increasingly problematical state.

In addition to the YAMAHA link, I know he has a deal with Promark.

Plus, he judges a lot...saw him a few times last fall at USSBA shows my band attended.

As a color...or neat visual...they are fine. The problem was that pre-pit the player had to carry them...and that meant they had to be played...and played....and played...far more often then they should...same goes for marching bells.

Also, when roto toms are in with the batter, the projection problems sort of cancel them out. They are useful in pit or set applications. The little ones (trio) are a blast to just jam out on.

Aha. Thanks.