Regionals Anyone?

BAPiTgrl

Scholastic World:

I’m not sure why people were so upset over Flanagan. I kept hearing how they are not anything like they were last year (minus the ending flag feature allegedly being the same). I thought they did really well though. In comparison to the rest of the guards they did deserve their score. It was really impressed though and I think they will do well again this year. I’m not going to predict placements in Dayton because I haven’t heard about anyone else, but I do think they will do well. Stoneman Douglas is not the same guard I’m used to. I’m going to hope for the best for them and assume they will continue to grow and get better. I think the fact that they are smaller than we are used to is impacting the way we view them. They are such strong young women and used to create intensity based on how many intense women there would be on that floor. I expected to have to wear ear plugs for Seminole’s show based on previous reports on how their music was irritating and hard to listen to. However, I think this is the best Seminole that I have seen yet. I didn’t really care for Freedom’s show. They did a really good job though with what they have.

Rumor has it Flanagan was singing in their show? Um...?

And Last year was the only year Douglas has been huge. And they placed 14th. The Outcome, 2007, Placed 8th, With only 18 girls on the Floor.

Douglas currently has 15 members, so I'm sensing "less is more" for this guard.

As for Seminole and Freedom, I heard there were some moments that made people want to look away, true?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Flanagan DID place second to Stoneman in EQUIPMENT in prelims.

But not by much.

But it DID happen.

They DID get first in every other caption though, making it EXTREMELY realistic. :laughing:

Well, there you have it.

I said right up front that I'm no genius in the numbers department. (How right I was...!!!)

Thanks for the info, amfgx..!!!

:blink:

I can totally appreciate all the hard work that goes in to producing a competitive winter guard show each season. However, I have to admit that I almost fell asleep during most of finals at the Dayton regional this weekend. Most groups are doing slow, boring music. When are fun/exciting shows going to come back?!

The three groups that stood out for me today were:

Milford

What a fun, creative and well performed show! These kids are having a ton of fun on the floor performing as ants on a picnic blanket. A well deserved win in competitive Scholastic A. Can't wait to see this show again at the Indy regional after they have had time to clean, etc. I would love to see this group in SA finals in April.

Interplay

In your face and full of applause moments. I think this was the only group that had the audience off their feet, other than a few people for Milford. At first you aren't sure about the "most wonderful time of the year" music. And then when you notice that the lyrics have been changed to fit the winter guard activity, it pulls you in for the ride. Also excited to see this show at the Indy regional next month. Definite IO finalist.

Zydeco

I have always loved "weird" shows and this one I totally adore. The music is odd, but cool enough to make the storm theme accessible to the audience. Lots of great equipment effect moments. Unsure where they will place in April. Probably between 5-8.

Edited by danishmodern

And Last year was the only year Douglas has been huge. And they placed 14th. The Outcome, 2007, Placed 8th, With only 18 girls on the Floor.

Douglas currently has 15 members, so I'm sensing "less is more" for this guard.

As for Seminole and Freedom, I heard there were some moments that made people want to look away, true?

Well, Flanagan JV sang the words 'all you need is love' at the end of their show but that was it.

OHH! So that's what that was! LOL I was there on saturday night and the section leading up to their flag feature, all of a sudden, there seemed to be this oohing. I figured it was just the soundtrack and didn't think anything of it (I was high up and I guess I missed the facial expressions). Now that I think about it, what a cute addition to their show. Kind of gives it a feel of realism...as if the show itself is actually alive.

How cool would it be to have the whole dayton arena "oohing" come finals? kind of like james logan that one year with the clapping? How exciting!

OHH! So that's what that was! LOL I was there on saturday night and the section leading up to their flag feature, all of a sudden, there seemed to be this oohing. I figured it was just the soundtrack and didn't think anything of it (I was high up and I guess I missed the facial expressions). Now that I think about it, what a cute addition to their show. Kind of gives it a feel of realism...as if the show itself is actually alive.

How cool would it be to have the whole dayton arena "oohing" come finals? kind of like james logan that one year with the clapping? How exciting!

It's funny you mentioned the oohing. I heard it too. I was up high as well and I didn't notice the performers oohing but I DID notice people around me doing it. LOL!! I felt like instructions were given in class to ooh and I wasn't paying attention.

It's funny you mentioned the oohing. I heard it too. I was up high as well and I didn't notice the performers oohing but I DID notice people around me doing it.

Ok, so they WERE "singing" in some way.

I, too, thought that I heard some kind of "noise" coming from the floor during Flanagans's performance, but I wasn't totally sure.

For a VERY brief moment I remember hearing some sounds that didn't seem to be a part of the soundtrack and thinking to myself "Is the back line counting out loud or something...???" - which would have made no sense whatsoever coming from Flanagan's World guard.

Then I didn't hear it any more.

So, I thought that maybe it was just the funky "gym acoustics" playing tricks on my ears. You know, random sounds from the bleachers bouncing around the ceiling or something.

But now that I know that Flanagan is, indeed, "singing" in some way, maybe someone can answer a new question.

Here goes:

The title of Flanagan's show is "Hopelandic."

And "Hopelandic" is the pretend "language" that the band Sigur Ros created to be used in their music.

However, this "language" isn't really a "language" that anyone would speak or even recognize. It's mostly Scandinavian gibberish.

"Hopelandic" is a means by which you communicate emotionality via sounds that represent your various emotional reactions. And the sounds - as well as the translations of the sounds - can have different definitions for everyone who speaks them.

Again, it's almost total gibberish.

But...

Now I'm wondering if Flanagan is "singing" in this weird "Hopelandic" gibberish stuff.

It would make sense - and be kinda cool - becasue their soundtrack is performed by the band Sigur Ros who "sings" in "Hopelandic."

Anyone know the answer to this question...???

(I'm just really curious to know more about this now...!!!)

Thanks in advance for any information you might be able to provide.

:laughing::blink::smile:

Ok, so they WERE "singing" in some way.

I, too, thought that I heard some kind of "noise" coming from the floor during Flanagans's performance, but I wasn't totally sure.

For a VERY brief moment I remember hearing some sounds that didn't seem to be a part of the soundtrack and thinking to myself "Is the back line counting out loud or something...???" - which would have made no sense whatsoever coming from Flanagan's World guard.

Then I didn't hear it any more.

So, I thought that maybe it was just the funky "gym acoustics" playing tricks on my ears. You know, random sounds from the bleachers bouncing around the ceiling or something.

But now that I know that Flanagan is, indeed, "singing" in some way, maybe someone can answer a new question.

Here goes:

The title of Flanagan's show is "Hopelandic."

And "Hopelandic" is the pretend "language" that the band Sigur Ros created to be used in their music.

However, this "language" isn't really a "language" that anyone would speak or even recognize. It's mostly Scandinavian gibberish.

"Hopelandic" is a means by which you communicate emotionality via sounds that represent your various emotional reactions. And the sounds - as well as the translations of the sounds - can have different definitions for everyone who speaks them.

Again, it's almost total gibberish.

But...

Now I'm wondering if Flanagan is "singing" in this weird "Hopelandic" gibberish stuff.

It would make sense - and be kinda cool - becasue their soundtrack is performed by the band Sigur Ros who "sings" in "Hopelandic."

Anyone know the answer to this question...???

(I'm just really curious to know more about this now...!!!)

Thanks in advance for any information you might be able to provide.

:thumbup::w00t::sad:

YES THEY ARE SINGING!!! I was in the warm up area when they were on the other side warming up with the show music only softer when they started singing. I thought it was kinda strange at first but when I asked the one captian she told me the whole story about the language and the gibberish from the band. I think now that she said that I remember reading something about it on WGI when they announced their show.

hopes this helps

YES THEY ARE SINGING!!! I was in the warm up area when they were on the other side warming up with the show music only softer when they started singing. I thought it was kinda strange at first but when I asked the one captian she told me the whole story about the language and the gibberish from the band.

Thanks so much for the confirmation...!!!

:thumbup:

As I said previously, this "singing" in gibberish makes perfect sense for Flanagan's show.

I'll make sure that I'm listening for it the next time I see their show.

Thanks, again...!!!

:w00t::sad: