Salem... can someone confirm?

jakespin

I heard today through friends at the Salem Regional that the event was "bewitched". Can someone confirm? I heard attendance was way down and finding a seat in Finals was a breeze even during the World Classes. Is it me, or does anyone remember when this regional was a packed house? Back in the 80s and 90 - I know I am dating myself.

I heard there was some major catastrophies too with guards. I heard King Philip Open and Shen World had catastrophic things happen to their shows when their tarps did not make it into the gym? Can someone tell me what happened? The groups must have performed because there are scores posted.... but judging by the Shen score, something bad went down.

I'm looking for comments from someone who was there.... what went down in Salem this weekend?

Congrats to my gals at S Bruns and Trumbull.

Jake

I heard today through friends at the Salem Regional that the event was "bewitched". Can someone confirm? I heard attendance was way down and finding a seat in Finals was a breeze even during the World Classes. Is it me, or does anyone remember when this regional was a packed house? Back in the 80s and 90 - I know I am dating myself.

I heard there was some major catastrophies too with guards. I heard King Philip Open and Shen World had catastrophic things happen to their shows when their tarps did not make it into the gym? Can someone tell me what happened? The groups must have performed because there are scores posted.... but judging by the Shen score, something bad went down.

I'm looking for comments from someone who was there.... what went down in Salem this weekend?

Congrats to my gals at S Bruns and Trumbull.

Jake

I'm not quite sure where this drama comes from. The event went very well. While it's true the regional was not as large as it has been in years past, there was a steady flow of spectators throughout the day, and as with any regional some spectators do not stay for finals if they attend prelims. Also, back in "the days", there were fewer regionals for one and there would sometimes be 10 or more World Class guards at this regional. Over the past several years this is not the case; also there are not as many World Class guards currently. Lastly, many guards choose to compete in the regionals closer to their respective hometowns.

Both Shenendehowa and King Philip performed at prelims and finals with their floors. Shen does use a very large, layered floor. There was bit of an issue as far as full fit for their floor for prelims, as Salem HS has been recently renovated and rows of back stands that have been able to be pushed back in the past are now no longer able to be. However, adjustments were made for finals and they performed a full show.

Edited by SAC

I was there - it was handled fine.

The gym was not quite as large as past years due to the new and nice bleachers. Shen was unable to do their show as planned, yes - causing some difficult moments on the floor and forcing the kids to re-adjust.

However - to be clear, it appeared to me that the people who ran the regional were great. You can catch the show on RePlay in finals..... since they shifted everything off center to make it happen and just accepted a small penalty in exchange. They'll come back strong from this, I guarantee.

I cannot confirm or deny a problem with any SO guard.... but if there was one, I'm sure it was handled professionally.

The Salem regional is always a fun experience for the crowd and performers.... lets stay positive!

I went to prelims, did not stay for finals. It had been about 10 years since I went to a show. Really enjoyed it. The organizers did a great job, Paul Cain (correct?) was excellent as usual and all the guards were wonderful.

Sac World - Holy cow! From their entrance to the floor through the performance they oozed confidence and sell. I spoke to a member afterwards (a SCV '02 rook-out, yay!) and told her I got the feeling the members were expressing to the audience "you are so fortunate to be here seeing us perform." And I don't mean that with any arrogance, just a pure "we came to play" attitude.

Alter Ego - A beautiful evocative program, excellent thematic presentation. I got it, from beginning to end. A physically impressive team (I love saying ‘team’ at pageantry events, it weirds people out =-0 ). Loved the floor, the uni's and the show design.

Here on will get a little blurry for me, I took no notes and didn't intend to write a review.

It did look like Shen's floor didn't work as planned. It's an engineering effort to be sure. Great show though.

Trumbull or Norwalk with the sunburst floor; beautiful, artistic presentation, very moving.

The guard with the giant wheel and wooden pikes? Show was busy, hard to know what to watch, dynamic performers and an intricate design but, maybe too much for me. With featured performers and other complicated work going on, I was somewhat whelmed.

Tina Turner show? Hmmm, well, some rather intimate greetings between the members before the start . . really? Then their audio I think needs to be re-EQ'd, it was strident and tinny. I couldn't really hang in with the theme, found my mind wandering somewhat.

Salem Blue, their work and choreography all flowed so beautifully, really enjoyed them.

Who did the American River theme? For me, a great package; audio, floor design, choreography, equipment work, features, loved it.

Another notable show for me was the horror-ish theme, the guard had on eye black, I thought they really sold this well. I felt transported and was actually creeped out a couple of times, nice =-)

There was nothing I didn't like all day, I appreciate where the activity has come and appreciated all the guards efforts and supporters. I do wish the staff of the youngest Sac guard had not chosen to "Jon Benet" them quite so much.

I plan to attend the Eastern Mass. championships in March.

Thanks and good luck to all the guards!

Some highlights about the Salem regional :

Not packed like it used to be but a good crowd. Some performance slip ups between prelims and finals. Then again, some improvements

Sac was emotional and amazing all at the same time. Suprised that they were not a couple points higher but the rumor at the regional was that they have been rewriting and the program was getting stronger by huge leaps every week. Show felt like Sac used to be. Artistic, powerful, thoughful and unique - truly World Class. Look for them to be in the hunt to take it all this season.

Alter Ego has an interesting program. Some great talent in that guard and they are definitely doing some work with this being their first year in World.

Sacred Heart is doing a fun soundtrack. Again, some solid performers who helped to sell the Tina Turner show.

Trumbull had some performance glitches at finals but their rifle line is spot on.

Shen had the floor disaster in the afternoon but adjusted for finals. MUCH better performance and the crowd started buying the new aggressive approach.

South Brunswick has a lovely floor and look. Very South Brunswick

Greater Johnstown had the most enjoyable program in the class. The first half of their finals performance was just great but got shaky towards the end. Must be close to having a full guard they did some River Dance type music with lost of poles and such on the floor. Nice to see a large group of guys in a high school group.

Salem Blue has a great program. Smaller and in A class but they were definitely a highlight of the evening and afternoon.

I went to prelims, did not stay for finals. It had been about 10 years since I went to a show. Really enjoyed it. The organizers did a great job, Paul Cain (correct?) was excellent as usual and all the guards were wonderful.

Sac World - Holy cow! From their entrance to the floor through the performance they oozed confidence and sell. I spoke to a member afterwards (a SCV '02 rook-out, yay!) and told her I got the feeling the members were expressing to the audience "you are so fortunate to be here seeing us perform." And I don't mean that with any arrogance, just a pure "we came to play" attitude.

Alter Ego - A beautiful evocative program, excellent thematic presentation. I got it, from beginning to end. A physically impressive team (I love saying ‘team’ at pageantry events, it weirds people out =-0 ). Loved the floor, the uni's and the show design.

Here on will get a little blurry for me, I took no notes and didn't intend to write a review.

It did look like Shen's floor didn't work as planned. It's an engineering effort to be sure. Great show though.

Trumbull or Norwalk with the sunburst floor; beautiful, artistic presentation, very moving.

The guard with the giant wheel and wooden pikes? Show was busy, hard to know what to watch, dynamic performers and an intricate design but, maybe too much for me. With featured performers and other complicated work going on, I was somewhat whelmed.

Tina Turner show? Hmmm, well, some rather intimate greetings between the members before the start . . really? Then their audio I think needs to be re-EQ'd, it was strident and tinny. I couldn't really hang in with the theme, found my mind wandering somewhat.

Salem Blue, their work and choreography all flowed so beautifully, really enjoyed them.

Who did the American River theme? For me, a great package; audio, floor design, choreography, equipment work, features, loved it.

Another notable show for me was the horror-ish theme, the guard had on eye black, I thought they really sold this well. I felt transported and was actually creeped out a couple of times, nice =-)

There was nothing I didn't like all day, I appreciate where the activity has come and appreciated all the guards efforts and supporters. I do wish the staff of the youngest Sac guard had not chosen to "Jon Benet" them quite so much.

I plan to attend the Eastern Mass. championships in March.

Thanks and good luck to all the guards!

Hillsborough High School did the American River theme and i believe it was south brunswick with the sunburst floor and not trumbull

and as far as "bewitching?" the only problem that i noticed was South Brunswick's CD skipping in finals..those girls pulled it together though