To Parade or Not To Parade...

parades  

68 members have voted

1. 1. General question: To Parade or Not To Parade??? Take it any way you want to.

• To Parade!!
    • Not To Parade!!

Parades can have their humorous moments too. One time our guard captain took a wrong turn and led the honor guard down the wrong street, and of course the rest of the corps followed. It took awhile to get that episode squared away. If you've ever seen that part of the film "Animal House" where something similiar happened......well....that was us, or it might just as well have been. :blink:

Edited by Piper

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Parades and exhibitions are important because they give the corps exposure and some even make money doing them.

When Crossmen did the standstill at Kennedy Center it was one of the highlights of their 08 tour. They were also the first Drum Corps to ever perform on the Millennium Stage, which is good for the entire activity of Drum Corps.

Crossmen Performance Kennedy Center Video

This video is about an hour long.... ENJOY!!!

Edited by xbones7480

As much as we all don't like doing parades, they are a valuable and easy way to make money for the organization, especially the 3 or 4 on the 4th of July.

You do your 10 minute show and you're done. You do a 3 mile parade on a hot humid day and your done in more ways than one.

Parades are also a valuable way of recruiting new members and are a neccessary part of any drum corps or marching band.

So suck it up and do them.

Exactly. Parades helped pay the bills. It's like professional sports teams and college sports teams teams having their players and coaches and former players go out to the malls to kiss babies, have their pictures taken, sign autographs, or do TV ads trying to hawk everything from automobiles to laundry detergent and everything in between. It's a money maker and also good PR.... and are as neccessary as can be.

Parades were such a neccessary money maker for Corps at one time, that many of the DCI Corps would split their membership and go to 2 or 3 parades simultaneously so as to get " more bang for the buck " so to speak.... usually on days with a lot of nearby parades like the 4th of July for instance.

As for " watching a parade ", that would depend on the parade, crowds, weather and so forth. A small town parade is usually not the same as ( for instance ) the Rose Bowl Parade in Pasadena, or the celebration parades of Mardi Gras in New Orleans, or Gasparilla in Tampa. Nothing boring about these parades if you are a party goer. And Some parades are either too hot or too cold to be standing and watching. And some " parades " are political in nature with the marchers and spectators attempting to make a political or cultural statement. I personally could care less about these parades. So all parades are not the same, and some parades the spectators along the route can be very appreciative and so that can make the experience fulfilling for many marchers, over other parades where the people along the route look like they think it's a funeral procession instead of a parade.

Edited by BRASSO

parades are actually kinda fun, i like to let loose and take several notes up the octave on tuba

haha...I'm 35...don't have to!!!

:blink::wacko::wacko:

Just my opinion...but I doubt there are many folks these days who see a corps in parade and think..."Wow, I have GOT to do that!!" Maybe an old guy who thinks, "Man, I WISH I had done that!!"

Sucked it up...did them...hated every one of them.

Well, there WAS the one when my grandfather was battling cancer and came out on the parade route to see me. THAT one I shall never forget! He was on my side of the formation and as I went by (didn't see him as I approached where he was!) he said, "Good job, boy." I was such a hard ### at that point that I didn't even flinch, but I knew it was him even though I had just passed him and didn't see him. Only thing I would ever change would be that I would have fallen out of formation, walked up to him and given him a big hug and kiss...he passed away the next year and I think that was the last time he saw me in performance. Never saw me in drum corps...now THAT would have thrilled him!

But all the rest, you can have.

Well, not to " rain on your parade ", but it seems that over 80% of the people on here are ok with parades.

Edited by BRASSO

I'm gonna go w/ ... it depends...

I'll just say, memorial day sucked. One week is not enough for a quad player to get their back in shape for a 2 hour parade (or maybe I'm a huge pansy). By the end I was so drained and playing so top-head I would've hated watching me. July 4 was much easier physically... although I'd honestly rather have rehearsal than do 3 parades.

A particular memory sticks out: I think the general spectator probably doesn't know a ton about DCI. 06 we got poured on, and as we were fumbling to cover the drums w/ garbage bags there were a couple disgruntled people on the curb booing, yelling "why are you even here?!" at us. Pretty disrepectful considering we're there for the community - and stuck with me 3 years now.

On the other hand, it's pretty great watchin the people dance along, making babies cry and kids cover their ears -- and of course stealing the snare drummers implements, playing quads traditional grip, with brushes, improv solos during the parade tune, and the generally accepted goof-off level that parades afford.

Edited by 08Hawkeye

And our group ranges from HS age to mid 70s.....

Every year I hear the dreaded words "What school are you from".

I usually carry water for the corps on parades. We have a similar age range in the Govies. I usually hear "ain't they a little old for a High School Band?"

As much as we all don't like doing parades, they are a valuable and easy way to make money for the organization, especially the 3 or 4 on the 4th of July.

You do your 10 minute show and you're done. You do a 3 mile parade on a hot humid day and your done in more ways than one.

Parades are also a valuable way of recruiting new members and are a neccessary part of any drum corps or marching band.

So suck it up and do them.

the

You are absolutely correct. Parades not only provide much needed additional income, it's also a perfect way to show case your corps to thousands of locals. And don't forget the newspaper and TV coverage most corps get by appearing in a parade. Look at parades as a necessary evil and

do your part.

Edited by morganhill

I don't mind them, it's entertaining to look at the people in the "audience", some dance, some don't make any facial expressions, some clap to the cadence. Would I want to do parades all summer? **** no, but it's different from the rehearsal and shows, which is why I *usually* enjoy them. Maybe my mind will change after junior corps this summer, who knows.

Very good point w/r to parades being something different. For one, parades are usually the first chance a corps has to get out in public in uniform. Learning how to carry yourself in the uni in public is a vital experience. It also is something, that IS NOT a rehearsal. Everything else in drum corps IS a rehearsal (or a show), so the chance to do something different should be cherished, even if it isnt that fun. Besides, parades are usually in decent sized towns, with food and other fun things... :lol: