Man ! They got that one wrong !

Controversial Finals Winners  

119 members have voted

1. 1. Which one of these just didn't make sense to you?

• 1975 Skyliners
    • 1977 Sunrisers
    • 1981 Hurricanes
    • 1986 Bushwackers
    • 1987 Sunrisers (Rain Out)
    • 1988 TIE Bushwackers - Sunrisers
    • 1989 Bushwackers
    • 1990 Bushwackers
    • 1997 TIE Statesmen - Brigadiers
    • 2003 Hawthorne
    • 1996 Westshoremen

Regarding 1975, I could not see anyone else winning that show. Sky won it hands down. They were on fire!

In 1981, it was the Hurcs all the way that night. If I had any disagreement about the outcome at all, I had the Bucs in second. BTW, George Parks failed to catch the mace during the final push in their show.

The 2003 Cabs took control of the crowd, performed their show with incredible emotion and certainly deserved the win.

I voted for the 1997 tie as the travesty. I was shocked when I heard the outcome.

I was there for all four of the ones that I just wrote about.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Before I post my thoughts on this, and remember, they are only my thoughts. Nothing makes them right, and they do not speak for anyone else or any corps.

I would like to say also that I have got to know a few of the '86 Bush Corps and have all the respect in the world for the corps and it's members.

This is in no way to say that they did not put on an outstanding performance that night either.

Now you know what's coming.

I have watched both the '86 Steel City show and the '86 Bush show more times than I can count.

In my honest and yes, bias opinion, Steel City was the better corps at finals in '86, hands down.

And I will say, that after the scores were announced, there were several non Steel City fans who came up to myself and said Man, they got that one wrong!

I am sure Bush had many, many non Bush fans tell them they deserved it and they were the best that night.

You can rip me a new one, but I am just being honest in responding to a question posed here in DCP.

Before I post my thoughts on this, and remember, they are only my thoughts. Nothing makes them right, and they do not speak for anyone else or any corps.

I would like to say also that I have got to know a few of the '86 Bush Corps and have all the respect in the world for the corps and it's members.

This is in no way to say that they did not put on an outstanding performance that night either.

Now you know what's coming.

I have watched both the '86 Steel City show and the '86 Bush show more times than I can count.

In my honest and yes, bias opinion, Steel City was the better corps at finals in '86, hands down.

And I will say, that after the scores were announced, there were several non Steel City fans who came up to myself and said Man, they got that one wrong!

I am sure Bush had many, many non Bush fans tell them they deserved it and they were the best that night.

You can rip me a new one, but I am just being honest in responding to a question posed here in DCP.

Of course you would feel that way and you have every right to do so. I've said this before, we weren't thinking much about where we would place that night, It was all about maxing out the show and leaving the field smoking. I will say though being undefeated in percussion was something we wanted to preserve and also the hornline was a little vexed that the prelim job (which was better than finals, btw) was not properly rewarded. We felt no pressure whatsoever and the final result was not expected so that's what made it so special.

How about 1990 Rochester Crusaders brass score in finals. The horn line was either 1st or 2nd and a particular judge knocked them down at finals. Not mentioning names.

Let's have some fun.

We all have one of those years that we look back on and say, "what were they thinking?" Whether it is your own recollection, a recording you heard, a video you watched, or a recap you may have recently reviewed, (I have a friend who still carries around the recap from 1986 finals... pulls it out on occasion and curses with disdain and utter disgust) you look back on the outcome and say, "they sure got that one wrong." The survey above includes some of the more notable, controversial finals decisions. There may be others, and feel free to weigh in with your thoughts.

My only intention here is to have some fun, and to hopefully foster a spirited debate. After all, this is why we do this, right?

And for some of you uber-sensitive girly men who have an innate inability to be objective about your own corps, you'll notice that no group appears more often on the list above than the corps of which I was a part. Some of those years I marched, some I did not. I included them only because in the annals of DCA history they were (or are still) somewhat controversial. I can be objective when I listen to (or watch) recordinds of my own corps. In fact, I listened to 1989 just recently and thought to myself, "boy, that wasn't nearly as good as I thought it was! How in the world did we win?"

So enjoy. I hope this thread stays up for a bit, and we can all have some fun with this. And try not to be so sensitive.

How about 1990 Rochester Crusaders brass score in finals. The horn line was either 1st or 2nd and a particular judge knocked them down at finals. Not mentioning names.

oh don't even go there. how about 1972. now there is an argument that has been raging for years. we had a thread about that . that was one that nobody can agree on to this day. why was that left out of the poll???????

96 Cabs won Prelims by 1 +. Won everything but percussion in Finals, including free parking and breakfast and lost the show.

There were many that though they walked away with the Championship thatt night.

Everyone blames the percussion judges for what happened in 1996. The brass judges scores is where you should look.

And Keith, sorry about 1990, but the brass line that won that trophy was pristine, and won a few trophies that year and many to follow. BTW I voted for 1990 as being a travesty. Not for Keith's reasons obviously.

If Dave would have put 1996 in this poll, IMHO it would be a run away, sorry Jeff.

Donny

Edited by donnymusic