Why are they gone?

This is supposed to be an Upstate thread so I'll admit to having lived in Corning for 9 years, though well after my playing and judging days.

Rather than being only one reason for the demise of so many of the corps (NY and everywhere else), I believe there are several major reasons and several seemed to occur, though not coincidentally, at critical times in US and drum corps history. First, I agree with the theory that the Vietnam War was a cause; it certainly took its toll on my corps and many other regardless of their levels of competitiveness. In less than three years, the war took most of our "veteran" players and the corps had no feeder or recruitment program adequate to replenish the corps; it also "left" the AL sponsor post (to improve its reputation) and died a slow death over a few years in the early 70s.

I also agree that the DCI tour model was a cause for the demise of a good number of other corps, too. But, other reasons, whether inadequate fundraising or poor management, coupled with the loss of sponsorships by American Legion, VFW posts, scout troops and the catholic churches during that same time period, were at play and of equal importance.

I thought Geoff's observation of the "8-10 year lifespan" effect of the aging-out of charter members was interesting and valid as well. I believe that between 1965 and 75 we probably lost more corps than in any other decade before or since (though I'm not going to try to prove it) with these three factors being the major causes.

Sadly, it looks like can all be right; imagine!

Steve

ps: We didn't even mention the Srs. from the 60s, Grey Knights, Salamanca and many others, but I guess that's a topic for the senior historical forum.

Edited by sky