What bugs you...

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd say the exact opposite. Wouldn't you want your judges well-versed?

I think he is referring to the idea that YEA! is paying judges in the fall, and then some of them are judging Holy Name in the summer. Not that I agree...I don't...we are not talking Big Bucks here, but I think that is his point.

And YOU Allentown.

I've almost never been to a more sit-on-their-hands show that Allentown,.

In my experience, it depends on which night you are there. The Cadet crowd sits on their hands until the Cadets are on. In fact a lot of them don't go to their seats until the Cadets are on and leave immediately afterward. The non-Cadet night is much more objective (and less attended).

Dr. Beat in a rehearsal? Sure, using smartly and sparingly. Dr. Beat in your lot warm-up?

I agree with the above. We have gotten away from OVERusing the Doctor with the band I write for and teach. Our time changes (esp the 7/8 we tend to use seemingly every year) and tempo changes throughout the show make it a big pain to use. Plus, I sometimes think that using it too much makes the ensemble sound mechanical. I want to hear the small tempo variations in the music that occur in a performance, not an automaton kind of sound that OVERuse of the Dr. can create.

We use it to get the overall tempo set as we learn and refine, but we do shy away from depending on it, esp in a warmup prior to a show.

It bugs me that WGI calls itself the "Sport of the Arts"

I'd say that's a more accurate description of what they do than any marketing slogan DCI ever came up with. And for what it's worth, I consider WGI color guard much more akin to sport than drum corps, which I don't consider a sport at all.

Hmm, what are some things that bug me..... Since we're on a message board, here are some things that bug me about my fellow fans:

People who don't understand that supporting one corps does not require tearing another down, and don't realize that you can accomplish the former without resorting to the latter.

People who find any particular corps' style boring, which is okay, but insist that that corps should change their style just to entertain them, which is not okay. Remember, someone else might be thinking the very same thought about your favorite corps; you wouldn't you favorite corps to change just to suit them, would you?

People who think - even though popular culture, fashion, technology, popular music, style, and community interaction have changed significantly in the past several decades - that drum corps should remain exactly at the time that they were marching.

People who insist that a drum corps show can be evaluated for its entertainment value solely from the CD and don't understand that every drum corps show is designed to be viewed live, and as a complete musical and visual package.

People who think that "loud, louder, loudest" is always the same as "good, good, goodest"

People who think - even though popular culture, fashion, technology, popular music, style, and community interaction have changed significantly in the past several decades - that drum corps should remain exactly at the time that they were marching.

People who think that disagreeing with a change is akin to hating all change.