What bugs you...

Not being independently wealthy. That's really been bugging me for a lot of years.

call yourself a bank and then call Washington DC :cool:

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's so bad about that rep?? :cool:

LOL...but, many DCA corps are as young as some DCI corps

Somebody said it a few pages back, but I'll echo it again.

DCI members who bag on DCA. It bothers me more when these kids are from the South or the Midwest, where there is very little opportunities to actually see a DCA corps, so they just go off of the reputation of DCA from the 70's-80's of social beerfests.

I'm from the South and I enjoyed the "beerfest" of 03 as much as any DCI finals I've been to beginning with 72, and VFW in 71.

The fact that I was there made it THE social event. :cool:

IMHO, people who "go off on DCA" as you put it, do so because of their lack of heritage, tradition and honor and are too young to understand how much history of drum corps can be learned just standing at the beer booth and listening to the conversations !

Now I realize I bug many people with THAT statement.

isnt DCA other than DCI aged people basically just DCI people that aged out and still want to march?

ok yea and a lot more...

Edited by doyle079

But if you need a Dr. B to warm up before the show you probably should've taken another week to figure out how to play in time without it. Not like it's coming on the field with you (or is Dr. B included with the new synth rules?!?!).

I have this dream of 200 people in the lot with claves all competing with Dr. Beat !

:smile::cool::cool::cool:

isnt DCA other than DCI aged people basically just DCI people that aged out and still want to march?

ok yea and a lot more...

many people in DCA never marched DCI

Snobbery bothers me.

For example, here's what some who have never marched or who want to move up by changing corps: "I have too much self-respect to march [insert any number of lower tier and/or OC corps here]." Yeah. Classy. It's one thing to think that and keep it to yourself. It's another to say it out loud.

(before anyone flames, it's not the corps hopping that bothers me, it's the comment.)

Calling former corps members "alumni" and not "former members" :cool: :cool:

Main Entry: alum·nus

Pronunciation: \ə-ˈləm-nəs\

Function: noun

Inflected Form(s): plural alum·ni \-ˌnī\

Etymology: Latin, foster son, pupil, from alere to nourish — more at old

Date: 1645

1 : a person who has attended or has graduated from a particular school, college, or university

2 : a person who is a former member, employee, contributor, or inmate

One can be an alumnus of a college, a drum corps, or a prison without having been a "student".

Pretty hilarious that anybody would argue that it's more appropriate to call somebody an alumnus of a prison than a student of a drum corps.

Anyway, nonsense like that doesn't bother me. In fact, I love dictionary definitions, espeically the hundred or so secondary definitions you find for a term in the dozens of dictionaries out there. What is the dictionary definition of a bugle and what is the dictionary defintion of a drum corps? By at least one defintion you can find of each in a dictionary, no dci corps has been playing bugles or has been a drum corps for a very long time...or ever really.

Pretty hilarious that anybody would argue that it's more appropriate to call somebody an alumnus of a prison than a student of a drum corps.

Anyway, nonsense like that doesn't bother me. In fact, I love dictionary definitions, espeically the hundred or so secondary definitions you find for a term in the dozens of dictionaries out there. What is the dictionary definition of a bugle and what is the dictionary defintion of a drum corps? By at least one defintion you can find of each in a dictionary, no dci corps has been playing bugles or has been a drum corps for a very long time...or ever really.

Hilarious - but, apparently, true. Turns out it is more appropriate to refer to someone as an alumnus of San Quentin than a student of a drum corps - unless, of course, they have enrolled at the Santa Clara Instutite of Drumming, Marching And Rifletossing Knowledge (SCIDMARK). I didn't write the dictionary, I just quote it to make points in pointless internet discussions. :cool:

Main Entry: stu·dent

Pronunciation: \ˈstü-dənt, ˈstyü-, chiefly Southern -dənt\

Function: noun

Usage: often attributive

Etymology: Middle English, from Latin student-, studens, from present participle of studēre to study — more at study

Date: 14th century

1: scholar , learner ; especially : one who attends a school

2: one who studies : an attentive and systematic observer <a student of politics>

Edited by Willie85