What bugs you...

DVD's not being in HD

Corps members that wear their corps jackets on tour. ITS SUMMER...ITS HOT WTF

Corps members that wear their corps jackets at band competitions in the fall. We get it...you marched...Let me touch you.

Old fat guys that try to wear their corps jackets 10-20 years later...... No

(I guess it's safe to say you should never wear your corps jacket ever)

I agree with wanting HD recordings.

but.

What's wrong with wearing a jacket? I wear my corps jacket all the time, because it fits well and is easier to put on and take off than a hoodie. I also happen to like showing that I am in a drum corps, I have made many friends by striking up a conversation about DCI because one of us was wearing corps apparel.

Though, I can empathize with your frustration about the older people wearing their corps jackets that really dont fit any more, and members wearing them in the summer when it is, in fact, quite warm.

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AGREED...do you march drum corps at all!!!? its very much a sport.

not until two corps are on the same field, at the same time, going at each other death-match style, it's not a sport. but that doesn't change the fact that it's tied for my favorite spectator event of all time. ;)

Edited by chaos001

AGREED...do you march drum corps at all!!!? its very much a sport.

eh... i get your beef, but i don't consider drum corps a sport, because no competitor has any means of affecting the performance of any other competitor.

you can't put your hand in front of the blue devils' alto line, or throw a body block on a cavaliers end-point.

Guest xsabers
People who think - even though popular culture, fashion, technology, popular music, style, and community interaction have changed significantly in the past several decades - that drum corps should remain exactly at the time that they were marching.

GAME: Find the straw man in the above quote.

Seriously, this always irks me (on topic it seems). Redefining an argument just so it can be shot down. While I am sure there are some rare individuals who think this, the VAST majority of dinosaurs don't want drum corps to remain unchanged. We are not against any and all changes but are at times, decidedly against some changes based on their merit and their effect on the integrity of the activity. There is a big difference here.

You know, the guys who came up with Hooked on Classics in the early 80's thought that recording well-known classical music snippets over a driving disco beat was a good idea too. :angry: While this dumbing down of great works increased the general public awareness of classical music (or at least a small melody line within a much larger work), it really did nothing for the music itself.

Sometimes there is loss by addition...

While I am sure there are some rare individuals who think this, the VAST majority of dinosaurs don't want drum corps to remain unchanged.

Yes those people do exist. Nowhere did Matt say that they were the majority. Only that people who DO think that way (and you even admit they are out there, as rare as their quantities may be) bug him.

When the Classic Countdown is limited to show exclusively from the last 6 years.

When the Classic Countdown is limited to show exclusively from the last 6 years.

When the "Classic" Countdown only shows the same shows year in and year out. Maybe they should say "once you've voted a show the in, it can't be voted in again for the next say...5 years? maybe 10?" and also, show shows from all years of DCI, it helps educate the younger crowd, they see the new shows they wanna see, while learning about the history as well, seeing the older shows.

From DCI.org:

“We’ve chosen the past six seasons for inclusion in this cinematic event to give our fans the best possible audio-visual experience."

OK. I can kinda buy that. It's true, pre-HD video and audio sometimes don't translate well to the big screen. As I recall, the press box shots of Phantom '96 did look a bit like black, ant-like shapes marching in formation. But it was still Phantom '96.

But then I see this caption on the promo site, featuring the "S" word: "Students pose for a shot after last year's edition of 'The Countdown.'" Apparently, DCI is framing it as more of a 'student' event than a 'fan' event. What about us legacy students?

Edited by Willie85