What bugs you...

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People that don't know what they're talking about when it comes to Drum Corps...

Example,

While my band directors were at TMEA we watched 2005 Drum Corps videos in my band class

Student Who Knows Nothing (SWKN): Wow, The CADETS SUCK!

Me: They won...every caption that year...

SWKN: OH I guess you're right.

SWKN: Woah! Look at the Blue Devils!

Me: Those are the Blue Coats...

SWKN: Oh - Right! I thought the Blue Devils had white pants.

SWKN: Cavaliers won this year!

Me: No they didn't...Cadets did...

I think you get the point.

-Choreography.

-Stop dancing, start marching. They're ninjas, we get it.

-Too much volume in the pit.

-On the DVD's, you can't even hear the hornlines anymore because the pits are so loud and right under the mics.

-Too much visual, not enough music.

-It's ok to play once in a while...really!

-"Safe" shows designed for cleanliness, not entertainment.

-Win win win! ...right?

-Stories that are too complex for the idiom and audience.

-People just want to see a drum corps show, that's all.

-I'm all for quality, but I'll take a hornline that's loud and a little out of tune over one that's in-tune but won't play over mezzo forte, any day.

-I guess that makes me a traditionalist.

-Corps who have yet to grasp the concepts of sportsmanship and professionalism.

-Why is it ok to behave like children in uniform? Why is it ok to get DRUNK before/during retreat?

-Visual staff members who are so out of shape, they look like they belong in the "Before" picture of someone plugging the Nutrisystem on TV.

-Yes, this does harm your credibility with the marching members. No, it doesn't matter if you can still somewhat march.

-Wannabe's.

-Bandos.

-How Div 1 drum corps have become more like the DMV than families.

-Bring em' in, take their money, clean em', get em' out. Next!

(Not meant to offend anyone. I'd like to point out that with the exception of my comment on professionalism and sportsmanship, none of this is a statement on the members themselves. This is more of a commentary on the recent trends in programming and operations. Being a recent age-out, I know the trials and tribulations of being in a touring corps, so I have all the respect and admiration in the world for the kids. In that same vein, I'd also like to remind everyone who seems to forget, that the kids do not pick the show...they don't do the programming. They go out there and work hard and play their hearts out. Regardless of the opinions you may hold of the people doing the programming, please just remember the kids before you publicly bash a corps or choose to "boo" before/during/after a performance. None of my commentary reflects the opinions of The Cadets or The Caballeros, in any way. I'm just a disgruntled age-out, trying to go to law school!)

And staff as faculty.

Seriously? :thumbdown: Haven't heard that one before. I guess it's official then: drum corps is officially nerdier than marching band.

Well, since we refer to former members as "alumni" and nobody seems to have any problems with that, we may as well keep going with that line of thought.

Please. "Alumni" is soooo 2005. These days the correct term is "legacy student", "post-graduate pagentry arts heritage individual", or "acoustic era refugee".

People that don't know what they're talking about when it comes to Drum Corps...

Example,

While my band directors were at TMEA we watched 2005 Drum Corps videos in my band class

Student Who Knows Nothing (SWKN): Wow, The CADETS SUCK!

Me: They won...every caption that year...

SWKN: OH I guess you're right.

SWKN: Woah! Look at the Blue Devils!

Me: Those are the Blue Coats...

SWKN: Oh - Right! I thought the Blue Devils had white pants.

SWKN: Cavaliers won this year!

Me: No they didn't...Cadets did...

I think you get the point.

I know exactly what you mean! I've been down that road far too many times now.

You just want to smack them in the back of the head and tell them to shut up!

If you're going to pretend you know anything about drum corps, don't. Someone will hurt you. :thumbdown:

-How Div 1 drum corps have become more like the DMV than families.

-Bring em' in, take their money, clean em', get em' out. Next!

If that was your Div 1 experience, the I'm truly sorry. Not every Div 1 corps is like this. There are some that truly do care from top to bottom, staff and members, everyone involved, about the experience and the family that is the corps. If you didn't get to experience that, then I am sorry.

Ok, what bugs me:

Wide people in bleacher seating - if your rear end takes up two seats, buy two tickets, cause you're forcing the people next to you to give up half of their seat.

I'm sorry to say...that I agree with you. I also am bugged by people who talk during performances, people who sit in seats that they don't have tickets for...staff members who block your view to see their corps...and of course,,,know it all fans who actually know nothing...

Any one who does not posses tact