Drum Majors

(Completely OT: Majoring is a word! ...according to my spell check!)

Of course, it's what someone does to a particular field of study while in college (e.g. "He's majoring in English.")

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The original poster dude should check out the San Francisco Renegades :worthy:

My personal favorite is the " Cavalier " gentleman's salute. :thumbdown:

Cadets and Troopers (no surprise) have my two favorite salutes. Simple. Gets the job done.

Some people seem to think some salutes go on too long like in high school, but I don't generally get that from any drum corps. The overwhelming majority of them are pretty succinct. Some of these high school salutes are like three act plays with intermission!

As for the smile, I don't see what the big deal is. Doesn't bother me at all.

Yeah, the "fanciest" salute I've seen in DCI is the classic punch-and-snap that everyone does.

Also, wear street clothes! What's with all the stupid outfits? How about a corps t-shirt and flip flops?

And use the stands. You don't need your own absurdly high podium.

While you're in the stands, sit down so that people behind you can see the show for crying out loud.

And oh yeah, stop moving your arms like that, you're disturbing the other spectators.

LMAO!

:troll food:

Don't rise to it folks.

The salute is VERY important to your drum major!! Once they finish the salute and count 4 for nothing, you could probably stick a chimp in front of most corps and still receive the same result.

Odd that the OP hasn't posted again...

Maybe back up his questioning? But he did create a new thread where he could have commented in this one about the same topic...

hmm...

I like the salutes in DCI. The one the the Cavies used before the Machine show was cool. SCV usually has a cool one as well. The one thing that bothers me though is how the DM's turn around prior to the salute. Most of them take several steps in place to turn around. In the Air Force, I was trained to turn around in one motion with your feet starting and ending in a "V" shape. You simply move your right foot behind your left foot so that your calves are touching, and then pivot to the right on the ball of your right foot and the heal of your left foot.

I like the salutes in DCI. The one the the Cavies used before the Machine show was cool. SCV usually has a cool one as well. The one thing that bothers me though is how the DM's turn around prior to the salute. Most of them take several steps in place to turn around. In the Air Force, I was trained to turn around in one motion with your feet starting and ending in a "V" shape. You simply move your right foot behind your left foot so that your calves are touching, and then pivot to the right on the ball of your right foot and the heal of your left foot.

The tops of the podiums are designed for traction so you don't fall off...kinda makes a proper military-style about face difficult.

I tried to do the one you describe in 04 with Dream....couldn't do it without losing balance...and I sure didn't want to try it on Impulse's podium in 03 (not enough width to feel comfortable, and I was afraid the planks would shift)