Most obscure corps you ever saw/competed against

Also the Blue Knights from Ironwood and the L'Anse Golden Eagles. As well as Marty's Goldenaires Srs. in exhibition, they are still going strong and have been since the days of Herbert Hoover.

There was also a Jr. corps in Hurley WI.

And in Hayward WI was the Muskie Capitol Cadets, who premiered Ernie Carrol's innovation in 1962 ---- the G-F bugle.

The Ambassadors were from Hurley. Had a girlfriend in Ambassadors and Blue Knights at the same time.

It was tough not getting caught at Nationals in 72. :thumbdown:

Charisma

The Jeannettes from Lynn and Socialites from Saugus were bitter all-girl rivals.

They merged after the '78 season and came out in '79 with a huge corps and lots of potential but never even finished the season.

I remember a loose yellow top, black skirt, black boots and maybe a floppy black hat with an orange and yellow tie.

new day from somewhere in the illinois/wisconsin area. We competed against them in 1987 and I think they had maybe 11 members. actually there were 4 or 5 corps at the show and we outscored all of the other corps combined and I believe the knights were one of the corps which shows you how low the scores were for the rest of them. I believe new day had either a single digit score or something around an 11.

I can second New Day as being pretty obscure.

July 3rd, 1984

Open Class

Highland Park, Illinois/All-Am

Black Knights, Il 50.50

General Butler Vagabonds, 45.00

Class A

Madison, Jr. Scouts 41.70

Royal Knights, WI 21.00

Kingsmen, Il 20.70

New Day, Wi 10.80.

Edited by pearlsnaredrummer77

new day from somewhere in the illinois/wisconsin area. We competed against them in 1987 and I think they had maybe 11 members. actually there were 4 or 5 corps at the show and we outscored all of the other corps combined and I believe the knights were one of the corps which shows you how low the scores were for the rest of them. I believe new day had either a single digit score or something around an 11.
I can second New Day as being pretty obscure.

At one time they had a feeder corps named New Dawn.

New Day were also in the movie Ferris Bueller's Day Off.

Charisma

The Jeannettes from Lynn and Socialites from Saugus were bitter all-girl rivals.

They merged after the '78 season and came out in '79 with a huge corps and lots of potential but never even finished the season.

I remember a loose yellow top, black skirt, black boots and maybe a floppy black hat with an orange and yellow tie.

GOD remember all the corps we had here in Mass

GOD remember all the corps we had here in Mass

[/quote

Pluse i grew up 15 houses from manning bowl in Lynn lived there 1964 to 1975 never missed a show my mom and dad took me to every show since i was 4 she said it was the only time i ever sat still in my life LOL

Edited by gigiandjim

The Wisconsin Rapids Zephyrs.

I have tons of glossy Zephyr photos, and here's part of their 1977 announcer spiel sheet:

"Comprised of 65 young men and women with the average age of 13, the ZEPHYRS will be marching in new uniforms in 1977.....

The 1977 musical repertoire features AFRICAN SYMPHONY, as the opener, then moves to the sounds of BLACK MAGIC WOMAN and DAISY JANE. The show will close with a lilting arrangement of IF I WERE A RICH MAN......

The corps is under the direction of Robert Kent, Executive Director. Instructors include Miss Lynn Kundinger, colorguard; Dawn Dhein, rifles, and Mike Tank, on drill. Dave Cookseau and Bill Shay are assistant horn instructors....

Presenting--the ZEPHYRS DRUM & BUGLE CORPS of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin."