Most obscure corps you ever saw/competed against

Well I was a PROUD member of the 1978 Hershey Chocolatiers!!!!

I remember the Chicago Connection! THAT was a cool corps!

Also remember the Canadian Corps of the year! La Clique Allouette (I reember the all girl...sorry ALL BABE tom line in 1978) Then the Guelph Royalaires, The Niagara Regionaires, then Odyssey, then _________. Apparently from what a person I spoke with once said, they had government funding available to NEW projects, but it was only available for a year or two, so the same corps changed names, managements, and locations to take advantage.

Whatever happened to the California Dons? (the corps that Larry Hershman sold the old Westshore gear)

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard a rumor once that St. Kevins and the Bon Bons had pillow fights the night before the Dream.

"Pillow fights".... so that's what they called it back then. :angry:

Fran

Has anyone mentioned the First Aid Cadets??????

Has anyone mentioned the First Aid Cadets??????

Jim,

I'm waiting for Fran to mention the "Ski Mask Cadets".... :angry: (they even had a public performance!)

That would be The Dusseldoff Fanfarenkorps, in the 1964 Columbus Day Parade on 5th Avenue in NYC. They were appearing at the German Pavilion at the World's Fair.

They performed on natural valveless horns and Renaissance drums, and featured a color guard who threw weighted banners higher than you can imagine, in a strong wind. They positively rocked.

you people are getting silly ..when I was in st. joes a few of the horn guys had 2 imaginary corps ///show cadets and winnapeg lugnuts they had a drill and endless fanfares donny allen would know all about it

Simple, think of the least famous corps you ever saw or even competed against.

Hopefully fun way to recognized these corps.

for me competed against (RCA/DCA/ICA):

Hershey Chocolatiers (pre and post merger with York, PA White Roses)

Johnsonburg Diplomats (if you ever were in Johnsonburg you must have been lost :angry: )

Ohio Brass Factory (Hi Hairbear)

Blue Eagles (or was it Renaissance) - Wind Gap, PA (only saw them, but they beat our DCA low score record)

Hey Jim! Ohio Brass wasnt THAT obscure! We were slow to get with the program,but by 82 and 83,we were decent.And "unca Larry"was kind to us and gave us a slot in westshores home show in 1981,I believe.And I should mention that loads of talent came from ohio brass,and went on to other corps: Mike Symonds,Rodger Witaker,and the incomprable Walt Street,currently a Buccaneer! also the 1985 Steel City drum major was from ohio brass.......the list goes on and on........but I HATED those yellow slingerland drums!!! :tongue:

Hey Jim! Ohio Brass wasnt THAT obscure! We were slow to get with the program,but by 82 and 83,we were decent.And "unca Larry"was kind to us and gave us a slot in westshores home show in 1981,I believe.And I should mention that loads of talent came from ohio brass,and went on to other corps: Mike Symonds,Rodger Witaker,and the incomprable Walt Street,currently a Buccaneer! also the 1985 Steel City drum major was from ohio brass.......the list goes on and on........but I HATED those yellow slingerland drums!!! :angry:

LOL couldn't resist Steve. Hell even have a OBF pin in my collection.....

Man even left off all the corps I saw at DCA Prelims at Allentown (used to drive to Prelims only then go home for dinner):

Pine Tree Warriors/Maines Marching Ambassadors

OBF

Des Plaines Vanguard (Sr version)

CMCC Warriors (Sr version)

Southern Knights - Virginia Beach

Southern Knights - UK

Tyrone Guard (think that was Hersey Prelims '80)

(and that's off the top of my head)

And the 1975 one year of Sr corps wonders: They were famous as Jr corps but kind of a footnote as Srs

Blue Rock

Blessed Sacrament

Edited by JimF-3rdBari