Most obscure corps you ever saw/competed against

Does anyone remember a junior corp the "Delta Thunderbirds" from Stockton, California early 1960's? Years before the "Commodores" of Stockton, California? Most of the corp went on into the "Joaquin Caballeros" Senior Corp that became state Senior champions for many years. Which brings up the question also does anyone remember the "Joaquin Caballeros" Senior Corp from Stockton, California?

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

G-horns said:

"About half of the corps you mentioned were in the Greater NY Circuit in the late '60's and early '70's."

Thanks! For the life of me I couldn't recall that circuit name. All I could think of was the 'Long Island M&M Circuit,' but the 'Greater New York' name eluded me.

Greater New York was quite strong at one time, and in addition to many of the Long Island corps, I believe it also included corps like the Bronx (later New York) Kingsmen, Midshipmen, Knickerbockers, OLC Ramblers, OLS Stormy Knight, Miraculous Medal Orbits, and several other NYC corps that few if any ever heard of outside of the metropolitan area. Some occasionally got coverage in Drum Corps News, but they were primarily local area corps.

I'm sure there are more in addition to these. A few of them had some very top-flight instructors, many of whom were members or veterans of Sky, Cabs, Sun and other big corps (like Tommy Martin, John Sasso, Eric Perriloux, Danny Raymond, Bob Bunce, George Rodriguez, to name just a few).

G-horns said:

"About half of the corps you mentioned were in the Greater NY Circuit in the late '60's and early '70's."

Thanks! For the life of me I couldn't recall that circuit name. All I could think of was the 'Long Island M&M Circuit,' but the 'Greater New York' name eluded me.

Greater New York was quite strong at one time, and in addition to many of the Long Island corps, I believe it also included corps like the Bronx (later New York) Kingsmen, Midshipmen, Knickerbockers, OLC Ramblers, OLS Stormy Knight, Miraculous Medal Orbits, and several other NYC corps that few if any ever heard of outside of the metropolitan area. Some occasionally got coverage in Drum Corps News, but they were primarily local area corps.

I'm sure there are more in addition to these. A few of them had some very top-flight instructors, many of whom were members or veterans of Sky, Cabs, Sun and other big corps (like Tommy Martin, John Sasso, Eric Perriloux, Danny Raymond, Bob Bunce, George Rodriguez, to name just a few).

Hey John ... the list of corps you cited is what I consider second generation GYNC ... considering a generation might last 3-5 years ... the first generation (58-64) would have included St. Catherine's Queesmen and Marionettes, St. Raphael's, Wynn Center, Our Lady of Lourdes, Blue Rock, Dumont, New Britain Grenadiers, Bronx Kingsmen, OLPH, St. Ann's Loyalaires, Barringer Walker, Oakland Rangers, SI Lawmen, Regimental Cadets, Smithtown Freelancers, Lindenaires and a few more ... the second generation (post 65) would have been Milford Shoreliners, SI T-Birds, St. Joe's Patron, Minisink Warriors, Norwalk Hot Shots, Babylon Islanders and more ... instructors also included other icons such as Wes Myers, Bobby Peterson, Joe Tucker, Left Patrakis, Bobby Winslow, Pepe Notaro, Joe Genero, George Lopez and a host of others ... Havey Berish (Kingsmen, Midshipmen, Knickerbockers) had a column in DCN that routinely featured GNYC corps ... and Moe Knox was roaming the sidelines of GNYC shows taking his historic pics ... GNYC was a wonderful breeding ground for many, many DC greats ...

:-)

Hey John ... the list of corps you cited is what I consider second generation GYNC ... considering a generation might last 3-5 years ... the first generation (58-64) would have included St. Catherine's Queesmen and Marionettes, St. Raphael's, Wynn Center, Our Lady of Lourdes, Blue Rock, Dumont, New Britain Grenadiers, Bronx Kingsmen, OLPH, St. Ann's Loyalaires, Barringer Walker, Oakland Rangers, SI Lawmen, Regimental Cadets, Smithtown Freelancers, Lindenaires and a few more ... the second generation (post 65) would have been Milford Shoreliners, SI T-Birds, St. Joe's Patron, Minisink Warriors, Norwalk Hot Shots, Babylon Islanders and more ... instructors also included other icons such as Wes Myers, Bobby Peterson, Joe Tucker, Left Patrakis, Bobby Winslow, Pepe Notaro, Joe Genero, George Lopez and a host of others ... Havey Berish (Kingsmen, Midshipmen, Knickerbockers) had a column in DCN that routinely featured GNYC corps ... and Moe Knox was roaming the sidelines of GNYC shows taking his historic pics ... GNYC was a wonderful breeding ground for many, many DC greats ...

:-)

When the Yankee Circuit was at it's end, corps went to the GNYC. Of course, the Yankee Circuit was dominated by St. Rocco's and Andy's corps, like most in Ct., couldn't take the beatings any longer so they went to greener pastures. Only kidding Andy and I have some very fond memories about that circuit. The best part was the traveling to New England every weekend. To get out of the City convinced some of us Brooklyn kids that there was another world beyond the Metropolitan area. We were always treated well and had a great time. Anyway, just a memory that came back to me this morning, and when I get them I write them down because a few minutes after, I'm back to normal, whatever that is.

Hey Andy,

Our combined lists are quite a roster of corps lost to posterity. Some rose from the near-obscurity of the local GNY shows to become nationally known contenders. Many others continued to be the 'breeding ground' for so many local kids with the desire to move up to bigger name corps, and ultimately became major forces in drum corps, and not just in the NY metro area. Oh, what we've lost as far as local corps and talent!

And those instructors! A veritable 'Who's Who' of area notables and Hall-of-Famers who have influenced the local and national scene of the activity. We were so lucky to have them, know them and be influenced by them. One wonders if we'll ever again see such an era of so many talented young people and instructors in the tri-state area of NY, NJ and Ct.

G-horns said:

Listen to "Brass By Night" and Greater New York may come to mind.

I listen to the old stuff often... the sounds were amazing... but I'll play trouble maker and wonder just how good the lines back then would have been if they had instruments that could be played in tune? We spent all our time teaching and relying on ear training to attempt to keep the intonation dead on and even with the best of corps - there were lapses that were pretty much unavoidable... I'm talking late 50's and entire decade of the 60's... horns made drastic and quick improvement in the 70's...

Sign me: one who played an original Whaley Royce Mellophone and lived to tell about it!

But I still thank the memory of Dom Del Ra (Cohoes Grenadiers/Interstatesmen/Marksmen/Brigadiers) - the inventor of the mellophone... and a great guy and a wonderful instructor.

And all of you Massachusetts people... we would still love to find that Whaley Royce Mellophone Serial #1 - it is easy to spot because the bell is inscribed with Dominic Del Ra's signature... I'm pretty sure it ended up with someone in the Marksmen...

Probably the only corps more inept then Barringer Walker was an intrepid group from Long Island known as the East Brentwood Raiders. The first time I saw them I was judging a Sound of Suffolk-Long Island Circuit double show. About half way into concert the other brass execution judge wandered up to me and said something like, "What do I do now, there's no more room on this sheet for ticks?" I told him that I had a similar problem but that we should just "fake it".

So we spent the rest of their show listening to the drum line. They had two tiny snare drummers that were excellent.

I think that the perc section was the only section in positive numbers that day.

I listen to the old stuff often... the sounds were amazing... but I'll play trouble maker and wonder just how good the lines back then would have been if they had instruments that could be played in tune? We spent all our time teaching and relying on ear training to attempt to keep the intonation dead on and even with the best of corps - there were lapses that were pretty much unavoidable... I'm talking late 50's and entire decade of the 60's... horns made drastic and quick improvement in the 70's...

Sign me: one who played an original Whaley Royce Mellophone and lived to tell about it!

But I still thank the memory of Dom Del Ra (Cohoes Grenadiers/Interstatesmen/Marksmen/Brigadiers) - the inventor of the mellophone... and a great guy and a wonderful instructor.

And all of you Massachusetts people... we would still love to find that Whaley Royce Mellophone Serial #1 - it is easy to spot because the bell is inscribed with Dominic Del Ra's signature... I'm pretty sure it ended up with someone in the Marksmen...

hey Peashey, being a snare my horn knowledge is limited, but we all had whaley's back then and the wannabees on soprano were playing Rudy Muck 10-12C's , how are you? , Doug Beecher