Most obscure corps you ever saw/competed against

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, for seniors, how about the Fitchburg (MA) Kingsmen and the Salem (MA) Clippers? These were back in the Fifties - when junior corps and senior corps occasionally competed against each other.

During my tenure in junior corps, we competed against the Kingsmen a half-dozen times (at least) and they never beat us once. The problem with that was.... Many of the judges in the Eastern Mass. Circuit came from the Kingsmen. They remembered!

I remember the day that two of us were approached by the manager of the Clippers trying to lure us from our junior corps to the Clippers. It sounded real good, except when we went to their rehearsal, we were the only two drummers there. It wasn't a good fit.

Andy

I was a member of the 1979 and 1980 San Jose Raiders... Born of the Knight Raiders... We wore Bridgemen looking uniforms and played Kingsmen sounding music... We had 24 horns, 15 drums and maybe 15 guard... we competed in Open Class and took 34th out of 35 in 1979 at DCI prelims...

There was no one in this corps who had EVER marched drum corps before the 1979 season so we thought it was normal that we practiced on the way home! :thumbdown:

I've mentioned them before," The Barringer Walker Cadets ". They were always at the very bottom of the pack. I don't know where they were from, maybe NJ, but St. Rocco's would see them once in a while. Does anyone remember them besides me?

I think the were from Lyndhurst, NJ Duke ... a Greater NY Circuit corps from the early 60's ... they were announced once at an early season show: "... and in last place with NO SCORE ..." ... OUCH!!!

... but, they showed up week-in and week-out ...

Andy "Rememberin' St. Joe's Ironbound Cadets as well" Lisko

I think the were from Lyndhurst, NJ Duke ... a Greater NY Circuit corps from the early 60's ... they were announced once at an early season show: "... and in last place with NO SCORE ..." ... OUCH!!!

... but, they showed up week-in and week-out ...

Andy "Rememberin' St. Joe's Ironbound Cadets as well" Lisko

The Lindenaires

OK, senior field corps:

The Dukes of Dubuque. Threw in the towel and used the equipment to start a junior corps, the Legionnaires. [You know them now as the Colts.]

The Wausau Montees. Pretty bad when you can't even spell your own corps' name correctly.

And the LaCrosse Old Style Commanders --- I bought their bugles after they folded, and every guy wanted to play one --- because they were engraved "Heileman's".

The Fairborn OH Golden Lancers. Copied the Boys of 76 signature triple-interval horn front playing "Dancing in the Dark". It stretched all the way from 40 to 40.

From Mount Healthy, the Men Of Ohio. Affectionately known as MOO.

The Valley City ND Red Coats. Showed up at '64 AL Nats in Dallas. Never heard of 'em before or since.

And the Jesse James Gang [from Minnesota] showed up at DCM in 1995. Had about 20 performers on the field, but needed about 30 people to carry out the props --- a full set of flats depicting an Old West town.

Alumni corps:

The Ontanagon Mountaineers. A dozen strong, played in the Harbor Fest Parade in Menominee MI in 2003. With a name like that they wore -------- Hawaiian shirts.

Parade corps:

The green-satined Traverse City MI Lumberjacks. Played a 20 minute hometown exhibition in 1972, marking time non-stop. 17 horns were, man-for-man, louder than anything from the glory days of the Conn Hurricanes.

Edited by HornsUp

Simple, think of the least famous corps you ever saw or even competed against.

Hopefully fun way to recognized these corps.

for me competed against (RCA/DCA/ICA):

Hershey Chocolatiers (pre and post merger with York, PA White Roses)

Johnsonburg Diplomats (if you ever were in Johnsonburg you must have been lost :thumbdown: )

Ohio Brass Factory (Hi Hairbear)

Blue Eagles (or was it Renaissance) - Wind Gap, PA (only saw them, but they beat our DCA low score record)

Wow! I had fling with one of the girls in Johnsonburg,,and the local brewery had free beer every afternoon,,it was a win win!

Wow! I had fling with one of the girls in Johnsonburg,,and the local brewery had free beer every afternoon,,it was a win win!

New Thread:

Who, and what corps, was this person in that you had a fling with. Now is this a Bill Clinton Fling or the real deal. I'll go "real deal", but I'm not going first. Zarblap started it.

Edited by dukecornwell

Way back in the day, I'm pretty sure there was a corps from NJ called the Jersey Joes.

Fran