Questions You've Always Wanted to Ask...

how can corps switch to a new uniform design every other year? does it cost them a lot to do this?

same thing with instruments

whats the estimated costs of running a world class corps and open class corps over the summer?

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

while I'm sure that Marc Sylvester (great guy) can be very demanding and some of the statements about cleansing bad technique might have had some play...

I really think it had a lot more to do with the inclusion of choreography and dance...

Military = left foot lead

Dance = right foot lead

it's really that simple... with the guard taking on very advanced (professional) dance technique... I'm sure they wanted to teach the same style to both the corps proper and the guard... I guess it worked... (understatement) - the end products ever since have been unbelievable...

Well that's all I've got right now, though I'm sure more will come to me. Give me your answer if you've got one, or feel free to ask some questions of your own.
What is the meaning of life? I used to know, however I forgot somewhere in the middle of reading the original post!!

the cadets started stepping off on the right foot, because the easiest way to teach a technique was to get people to forget the (probably crummy) technique they learned in high school.

That actually does make such logical sense! Its like something completely new!

Have any vets here ever seen a show by another corps and wanted to give up because it was just so good?

In Brass Roots, Wayne Downey tells a story about watching 82 Cadets for the first time and his internal reaction was, "Alright boys, pack up the busses. We're going home to start practicing for next year."

Of course, BD did win that year and Cadets came in 5th. But he talked about recognizing that it was something new and special that was going to totally change the game. And obviously, it did.

That actually does make such logical sense! Its like something completely new!

Logical Sense is an oxymoron.

Oh... the meaning of life? If I tell you, I'd have to kill you... now we don't want that!

:thumbup:

the funny part is...I was so near-sighted that I wore glasses all the time...it didn't even occur to me to just...take them off for the picture! :smile:

Heh....the first pic in my BT yearbook is right after we had our heads shaved and I was reaching for my first set of fatigues. Still had my wire rims....looked like Ghandi!! :thumbup:

The story I've heard from Cadets vets from the 90's is that Sully changed it to right foot lead for Jeremiah Symphony in 85. The members were having trouble with all the meter changes and nonsense, so to make them get out of the muscle memory of a left-foot lead he changed it to right foot. Basically, it was a way of making people think less about "Left foot on 1 and 3, Right on 2 and 4" which would make marching in odd meters a little more difficult.

Guest xsabers
Why don't they try and get into the larger stadiums that are known outside of the DC world like Lambeau or The Big House or other NFL major BCS College Stadiums? If they can get into the Rose Bowl they can probably go anywhere they want!

I think there are two major reasons for the limited use of NFL or major college venues. First would be cost. You have to sell a lot of tickets to cover the cost of some of these places. Second, the NFL is very protective of their natural turf as their season draws near. It also slightly depressing to see a crowd of 4,000 in a 90,000 seat stadium.