Questions You've Always Wanted to Ask...

How do you get the horizontal drum corps logo for your signature?

Did the cadets trumpets in the 2000 hand wave part really play each others horns, or did the people beind them play the part while they imitated it?

Its real. It would have been pretty obvious to a brass judge standing 5 ft in front of them had they not been playing...

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its real. It would have been pretty obvious to a brass judge standing 5 ft in front of them had they not been playing...

Well yeah, but so what. It's GE. I don't believe there's a penalty for fake playing. As long as it acheives...

it was real!

how come no one believes me?

and it wasn't just the trumpets. it was the mellos and the baritones, too.

I believe you! Or rather, I believe Tekk, and was trying to provide the skeptics with a primary source. :thumbup:

I'll bite...

What does it feel like to tie for a championship? If you're the corps that was ahead going into finals, does it sting or still feel good?

If you were a member of the '05 Spartans or ECJ, how bloody confused were you during finals week?

Edited by Latrobe's Finest

While we're talking neat horn tricks, is there anyone from Cavaliers 2005 who can confirm that those dudes were really playing two horns at once? That's the kind of thing we used to fool around with before and after rehearsals, but I don't think any of us ever pulled it off, certainly not at such a high level.

I'll bite...

What does it feel like to tie for a championship? If you're the corps that was ahead going into finals, does it sting or still feel good?

In reference to the 86 DCUK tie....my thought at the time was "I came all this way to gain 1/10th on myself and TIE??? ARGH!!"

Looking back...it's just a score...i still have a share of the UK title...and can assert that Conquest Alliance tied Dagenham....not the other way around! :thumbup:

it was real!

how come no one believes me?

and it wasn't just the trumpets. it was the mellos and the baritones, too.

Why didnt those slacker tubas do it?? HUH???!!

I'd really like to know the answer to your first question. With Madison, I can only guess that it's just a reflection of the tumultuous times the corps was going through, and that they're still paying for it, but I really have no idea.

Horns are a different story. There's a huge market for Bb/F marching instruments, so many corps sell the horns to marching bands or whoever else will buy them, and then buy a new set of horns. They're not making money on the deal, though—they're essentially paying a small fee each year to have top-quality horns in the hands of their members. My guess would be that the tubas stick around for much longer, though. Outside of DCI, DCA, and a select few high school groups, there's no market for them, unfortunately. /edit - and the euphoniums, too. I can't imagine Phantom's able to pawn off 24 euphs at a time.

No specifics, but I think many World Class groups have yearly budgets of over $1,000,000.

I am sure most "top " world class corps are sponsored or get reduced costs by uniform and instrument companies. I also know that there are discounts to others for exclusivley using a certain brand. ie Evans heads or inovative percusion. Some corps unis are interchangable like Crown's. basic uniform is the same but the sash can be removed and new colours added to what they want.

1st place at DCI gets you lots of freebies and perks.