Great Drum Corps Solos

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1998 Sunrisers baritone solo in the ballad.

Just kidding. :smile:

Chris,

I've listend to that Bari solo... sounded good to me :tongue:

(I don't have 1998 in the DVD collection)

Heh, you're good for my ego. Thanks dude...

it woulda been better if I was allowed to play it LOUDER, but every time I went up to the sideline for my solo, the Drum Major gave me the "shoosh" sign...

See what happens when you're known as a loud horn player? It's like racial profiling. :smile: "Better quiet that guy down before he plays too loud again." :tongue:

Edited by bumo27

Heh, you're good for my ego. Thanks dude...

it woulda been better if I was allowed to play it LOUDER, but every time I went up to the sideline for my solo, the Drum Major gave me the "shoosh" sign...

See what happens when you're known as a loud horn player? It's like racial profiling. :w00t: "Better quiet that guy down before he plays too loud again." :tongue:

I'm wondering just HOW loud you were playing back then (in Sun) for the Bushwhackers to "label" you! :smile:

(Having played in BAC's 1969 Bari line, having been the DM and only a few feet away from the 1980's Sunrisers "Iron Mothers" Bari line (all 10 of them) I know what "loud" sounds like)

Thanks, Dale. I was looking to see if anyone was going to mention Dave. I was having a hard time choosing a solo of his. I was simply going to add... "any solo David Halter played with the Defenders" and leave it at that. That boy hangs with anybody!. :rolleyes:

Thank you, Bill.

I hear you on Dirty Eddie - but how about what Sidemouth Richardson and/or (I think) Johnny Grass did with the sop solo in Elks' Parade. I was at the Dream in 1975, just spectating, and when Sky played that piece (which I believe Hy had just reinserted into the repertoire that day) I said to myself, "Self, Sky's gonna win this year." Sort of ###### me off. I don't think myself would talk to me for months after I was right.

Sorry to get off topic here.

Hello Mr. Fallon. You can't remember me, but you were the horn instructor for the Bridgemen in the winter of 1978 (for the start of the 1979 season). I was a 15 yr old sop player from the Kidets feeder corp, trying to catch on with the big boys that year, and we all had to play for you. Needless to say, I was more nervous than a hooker in church. I made it, and marched the 1979-1981 seasons. But you were a kindly, cool dude that had us relax. I'll never forget you for that, and hope that I can touch someone the way you touched me. Hopefully I did already. Time is getting short as we get older. LOL

By the way, anything that came out of Jim Brady's horn has to be on most top 5 list. Only 2 years in DCI finals (for the most part) and had such an tremendous impact. I loved Jerry Noonan too. Those Ole' solos took a real pair of onions.

The following year with the 2 baris doing the duet in Dindi was better (or so I'm told by someone who marched that year). During auditions for the duet it was given to the baritones because they auditioned better.

Sorry, not as pretty as the Soprano duet. LOL

I guess it's a matter of personal taste.

Well, here is an opportunity to hear about half the guys mentioned in this thread.

The North American Championship on March 28th in Bridgeport, CT is shaping up to be a once in a lifetime show. Over 10-15 Individual Percussion, 25-30 Individual Brass, Trio’s, Quartet’s, and Mixed Ensembles. Capital Brass and the West Sayville Golden Eagles competing in the Mini-Corps caption. Alumni Corps scheduled to perform include, Ct Alumni, Park City Pride, and St Rita’s Brassmen, The Selden Cadets, Brooklyn United, St Kevin’s and the Holy Name (Garfield Cadets).

If that’s not enough to get you to the show, maybe “The Finale” will. Buglers Hall of Fame performances by such icon’s as Ruben Ariola, Kenton Clarke, Jimmy Cossetti, Jimmy DiAmico, Frank Dorritie, Bob Gaff, Eddie Hayward, Art Hlywa, Jimmy Maldonado,Tommy Martin, Dave (Booch) Negri, Frank Ponzo, Ritchie Price, John (Grass) Urspruch, and Frank (Buzzy) Bergdoll to mention a few. Plus a show closing performance by The Buglers Hall of Fame

Everyone is invited to join the fun as a performer, competitor or spectator.

Applications and other info is here: www.buglershalloffame.com