Great Drum Corps Solos

It wasn't a Flugel, it was a soprano. Tom McCarthy had as beautiful and as full a sound as you will ever hear. Indeed, it sounded like a flugel.

Absoluely....Tom also played the solo in 1978. He was an absolutely outstanding player, teacher, and person.

Fran

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And Frank Ponzo's "Don't Cry For Me Argentina" (90?) is bugle phrasing mastery.

Thanks Tom......I really appreciate your very kind words!

I think that was 1992 (####...I can't remember yesterday, and I'm supposed to remember almost 20 years ago?) LOL

I didn't go back through all the pages... but

The Oswego Black Knight soloist was Redd Swindells... while I may have been the only one to know him from drum corps, he was at Rick Roger's wake - he played professionally with Rick.

I found no mention of Long Island in I want to say 1968? but the guy was an animal and I said who was that? and the answer was some young kid named Wayne Downey...

2004 Brigaiders Ballad, "Out of Africa".

Beautiful!

I got to hear it every night!

I found no mention of Long Island in I want to say 1968? but the guy was an animal and I said who was that? and the answer was some young kid named Wayne Downey...

Sunrisers, 1969. And he wasn't even the best sop player in their line that year. They had guys like Frank Dorritie, John Arietano, Bob Murphy, et al. Unbelievable.

Fran

Frank, Screech, Bob and Wayne Downey... good grief!!! No wonder they were so good...

I can't let this discussion go on without mentioning Dwayne Hollenbach's solo in Bush's exit Aires Eyes in 1986. Dwayne was playing the flugel horn and, in my opinion, played the most effortless, stylish and tasty solos in the history of drum corps, not just DCA. He was incredible that night. :tongue:

His solo was in three parts. The first part was written for him and the pit as the exit began, then he continued when the hornline came in and improvised the last part of the solo before the company front hit. I heard the tape of the judge who was judging the soloist and drum major, and he just chuckled at some of the effortless riffs Dwayne was playing. Take a listen some time and I think you will enjoy this solo too.

I kinda liked that guy from the Crossmen that played the Bari solos in Something and Tiger of yo mama back in '78 and '79. Kinda looks like that old guy in bush's bari line.

Am I the only one who remembers Donny Allen's solo in "Legend Of The One Eyed Sailor" - Phoenix 1976?

I thought about that one last night as I was going over my list. That was one hot solo, and Donny wrote it,yes? One of my all time favorites.

John Grass and George "Sidemouth" Richardson remain my heroes! :shutup:

All of the great soloists the Cabs have had through the years are truly an inspiration to any young soprano player growing up in the 70"s ( ahem....like me!)

Keith Lentz 1976 Erie Thunderbirds was amazing.

Dave "Boots" Martin and Mike DeMayo(sp) both had HUGE sound and excellent tone quality.

The list goes on, but I must go to work!!

I don't know if anyone mentioned it yet, but almost anything Curt Hawkins (Cabs) plays is musical gold.

Gotta give big props to his solo in 2003 during "The Prayer". Gorgeous.

Oh and - you're not gonna get a sweeter sound on baritone than Jerome Kimbrough (Bush) has ever put out. Almost every baritone solo in a Bushwackers show from the late 80's to 2004 was Jerome.