What bugs you - senior edition

Well, this post snowballed more than I thought, with the majority of the comments rehashing the pitted soloist discussion. I can say without a doubt, that 1994 was the last year of the random draw for Prelims. 1995 was the first year where a seeding for Prelims based on score was used.

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:thumbup:

I didn't bring up the "mignemi" because this is a thread about things you don't like in Sr. Corps. I love the mignemi. And for those of you who don't know...

mignemi - n. a sound made (usually by a player of a low brass instrument.. euphonium, contra, baritone, etc.) that overwhelmingly exceeds the sound of the entire line and/or section.

Rule changes that alter the underlying dynamics of a corps. What it is and how it operates.

No tick system. The focus changes from execution to design. Pros and Cons and both are flawed IMO. Not that I'd be able to recommend anything better.

35 minimum. The focus changes from having a product to having just numbers. And all of the sacrifices that go along with that. Not trying to say that it's purely bad, but I'd hate to see DCA be called the "OLD Corps Club" because majority of the NEW corps never met their qualifications. Or found it too difficult to maintain them to even try.

Seeding. It's alright to some extent if based solely on the current corps / season. And not based on a previous years corps / show when the current product bears no comparison. Except maybe for the very first show (and only the first) of a season.

Not that we've gone with amps, trombones, electronics, woodwinds, YET. But just bear in mind the strife that doing so will cause before voting those in place. Although trombones might not be too bad IMO, much cheaper than these valved horns, and the used market is pretty saturated with them. I could probably buy a dozen of them for the same cost as a DCA evaluation.

Although trombones might not be too bad IMO, much cheaper than these valved horns, and the used market is pretty saturated with them. I could probably buy a dozen of them for the same cost as a DCA evaluation.

And in a couple of months, you might be able to throw in a General Motors vehicle as part of the bargain. :thumbup:

Fran

1) Anything less than 100% commitment.

2) Membership in two or more drum corps, at the same time. (See #1)

To the person mentioning the web site...

You're preaching to the choir... It has been our desire to upgrade it significantly through a new and modern design that still won't cost an arm and a leg...

We had a person chosen who was MOST capable and this person got a promotion and had to back out... I'm told that we are near agreement with someone else who come highly recommended with very good web development background.

We hope this is addressed very soon.

Sounds great!

I didn't bring up the "mignemi" because this is a thread about things you don't like in Sr. Corps. I love the mignemi. And for those of you who don't know...

mignemi - n. a sound made (usually by a player of a low brass instrument.. euphonium, contra, baritone, etc.) that overwhelmingly exceeds the sound of the entire line and/or section.

Thank you, Dave. Always a pleasure.

Dateline May 2005: My first Bushwackers rehearsal ever, at the "commuter parking lot" in Ridgefield Park, NJ.

I'm standing in horn arc, in the rain, at night, with no lights, except for the light that Dave Kapp lent to me that is a elastic headband with a light attached to it, kinda like a coal miner. I'm trying to sight read the 3rd bari parts to 1812 Overture, when I hear a really loud note coming from the 2nd baritones, and Exley cuts us off and gives a stern look in that direction. Josh Cohen (horn sergeant at the time, I believe) says "No Mignemis, please" and I was like..."Excuse me?" To which the entire hornline erupted in laughter. Apparently, "The Mignemi" was a term at Bushwackers years before I even joined the corps. "Pulling a Mignemi" is just overblowing the horn and sticking out of the ensemble. Not necessarily with bad tone quality, just really friggin loud. (Ya know, how everyone else in the line SHOULD be playing when it says ffff in the score. :cool: )

Forever immortalized. Thanks, Bush. :thumbup:

is it in tune tho?

:tongue:

Rule changes that alter the underlying dynamics of a corps. What it is and how it operates.

No tick system. The focus changes from execution to design. Pros and Cons and both are flawed IMO. Not that I'd be able to recommend anything better.

35 minimum. The focus changes from having a product to having just numbers. And all of the sacrifices that go along with that. Not trying to say that it's purely bad, but I'd hate to see DCA be called the "OLD Corps Club" because majority of the NEW corps never met their qualifications. Or found it too difficult to maintain them to even try.

Seeding. It's alright to some extent if based solely on the current corps / season. And not based on a previous years corps / show when the current product bears no comparison. Except maybe for the very first show (and only the first) of a season.

Not that we've gone with amps, trombones, electronics, woodwinds, YET. But just bear in mind the strife that doing so will cause before voting those in place. Although trombones might not be too bad IMO, much cheaper than these valved horns, and the used market is pretty saturated with them. I could probably buy a dozen of them for the same cost as a DCA evaluation.

you forgot picture in the rain

Or sidelines.