End of DCI Open Class

160 members have voted

1. 1. When will Open Class no longer exist?

• less than 3 years from now
    • 3-5 years from now
    • more than 5 years from now
    • what are talking about...Open Class is growing!

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's an idea.

Why not support Drum Corps as a whole.

Go buy the tickets to the Open Class shows in Indy as well as the World Class shows.

Go out to the local Open Class shows, I know of a few in CA alone that could use better attendance.

Buy Souvies from the Open Class Corps and the World Class Corps.

I know that my tshirt collection has corps in it from Phantom to Revo to The Renegades.

If we are going to embrace corps, then why don't we embrace the whole activity.

I'm not saying this because I currently work for an Open Class corps, but as a DRUM CORPS FAN!!!!!!!!!

Yes, there are problems. Sitting here predicting the demise of open class isn't going to stop it.

All of us going to shows, spending money, and supporting all of the corps is.

Support can come in so many different ways too. Volunteer some time with a corps, donate to their fundraisers. There are so many other ways.

In a perfect situation, none of these groups would have any financial issues, but as we all know the world isn't perfect.

Turn off the computer on the weekends and go support all of DRUM CORPS!!!!!!!!!!

Here's an idea.

Go buy the tickets to the Open Class shows in Indy as well as the World Class shows.

Go out to the local Open Class shows, I know of a few in CA alone that could use better attendance.

I know that my tshirt collection has corps in it from Phantom to Revo to The Renegades.

I'm not saying this because I currently work for an Open Class corps, but as a DRUM CORPS FAN!!!!!!!!!

Yes, there are problems. Sitting here predicting the demise of open class isn't going to stop it.

Support can come in so many different ways too. Volunteer some time with a corps, donate to their fundraisers. There are so many other ways.

In a perfect situation, none of these groups would have any financial issues, but as we all know the world isn't perfect.

Turn off the computer on the weekends and go support all of DRUM CORPS!!!!!!!!!!

You forgot one, Thom...."Get out of the &^^#% lot, sit in the stands, and WATCH the Open Class corps --Srs, to (since they tend to go one first).

Whenever I buy a ticket to a show, I stay for ALL of it, from first show to last (07 Div II/III prelims being the exception because I got dehydrated and sick just before BDB went on...but that's a different matter).

Had I been like so many fans who pay a full ticket and only watch the headliners, I wouldn't've enjoyed VK, Incognito, Gold, Jester (major brass cojones, there), SoCal Dream, Fever, etc.

We all carp about the lack of support DCI gives the Open Class corps.....but that complaint also must fall on the shoulders of FANS who don't support or even see them.

Edited by 84BDsop

Here's an idea.

:tounge2::doh: :doh: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

You forgot one, Thom...."Get out of the &^^#% lot, sit in the stands, and WATCH the Open Class corps --Srs, to (since they tend to go one first).

Whenever I buy a ticket to a show, I stay for ALL of it, from first show to last (07 Div II/III prelims being the exception because I got dehydrated and sick just before BDB went on...but that's a different matter).

Had I been like so many fans who pay a full ticket and only watch the headliners, I wouldn't've enjoyed VK, Incognito, Gold, Jester (major brass cojones, there), SoCal Dream, Fever, etc.

We all carp about the lack of support DCI gives the Open Class corps.....but that complaint also must fall on the shoulders of FANS who don't support or even see them.

agreed...I enjoyed corps from all divisions in both Glendale, AZ and Vista, CA last season.

:-)(-: Yeah, last year seeing corps like VK was an awesome experience. Sometimes its kinda hard to watch the little, little corps just cause you feel bad they could only find 7 horn players, but I still give them so much credit for being there. I started my own corps before, and I can tell you that no matter how many people you have or what you decide to play, getting onto the field is HARD!!!! So yeah, I'll be there!

Here's an idea.

did for Indy. however not so many closeby open class shows.

hell very few world class ones anymore

• 1 month later...

Dude.. I SO want to be marching on 12/21/2012.

"All right guys, horns up to the stars and 1, 2, ready..."

Mabe with the final epic chord ringing out just as the sun and galaxy align...

Awesome.

Dang, there needs to be an emoticon representing Epicness.

Anywhos, I think that with as many open class corps there are in So. Cal I think one or two should merge for a season and mabe come back when the economic weather is better. I'm sure that's a lot easier said than done but it's just a thought.

How have mergers been in past years? Generally smooth or Rocky? How have they done in competition?

Edited by Impuls!vebari

i really doubt MACBDA is any threat to luring corps away...three corps participated in 2008. one was a DCA corps (kilties), one was a first year DCI group (Legends), and the Racine Scouts and it looks like the only one of last year's three returning to MACBDA this year is Kilties. 2007 the only group was Legends, which at that time wasn't a DCI approved corps. before that you have Capital Sound and Allegiance Elite, unfortunately (and not related to) neither of these groups exist anymore.

however if circuits like this or SDCA pick up steam and grow, they could become a factor, but i still think if everyone (exuse the pun) "banded" together and moved to DCA that's probably the only way, but again with Colt Cadets, BDB (& BDC), and SCVC you would never get the entire division on board with that.

*Correction, Allegiance Elite DOES exist.* - As an all-age corps. Allegiance's Website