End of DCI Open Class

160 members have voted

1. 1. When will Open Class no longer exist?

• less than 3 years from now
    • 3-5 years from now
    • more than 5 years from now
    • what are talking about...Open Class is growing!

just my two cents, but i think the world class group and DCI ought to be looking over their shoulder. this danny boy productions project may be the demise of the world class group as we know it today. every existing corps would then be in the same pot. maybe there would be no more DCI. it wouldnt be the end of the world if that were to happen. i remember when drum corps existed long before dci was created. besides, today's economics can't support the activity the way it's currently set up. too expensive. you may see some corps leaving world class for the open class because of the cost. you may even see some corps leaving DCI altogether. reality eventually catches up ($$$) and you have to face the music.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just my two cents, but i think the world class group and DCI ought to be looking over their shoulder. this danny boy productions project may be the demise of the world class group as we know it today. every existing corps would then be in the same pot. maybe there would be no more DCI. it wouldnt be the end of the world if that were to happen. i remember when drum corps existed long before dci was created. besides, today's economics can't support the activity the way it's currently set up. too expensive. you may see some corps leaving world class for the open class because of the cost. you may even see some corps leaving DCI altogether. reality eventually catches up ($$$) and you have to face the music.

you forgot to mention the swine flu....the single greatest threat to DCI.

After reading your post about how YOU did everything, it appears to me what you had put together was something that only you saw resembling a drum corps. In order to attract members, there must be a full organization behind what you are doing so that everyone feels comfortable with your product. Not just a bunch of people who get together with a few old horns and what not. You even stated it yourself, it was only about $4000.00 worth of items that you had. What did you expect to get out of that?? Anyway, if you have solid financial backing and a prepared group of people to help run a program, you will have membership, guaranteed!! Oh and by the way, 19 and had all the answers too I see!!! Appreciate the dream but you may have needed a few more years of seasoning before stepping into the activity like you say you did. Don't be so harsh on what happened, but chalk it up to a very valuable learning experience that as you get older may understand why things happened the way they did!!

That is the harsh reality I had to face. I didn't have all the answers, I just really wanted to do something that I thought would benefit the world around me in a way I didn't think I could do otherwise. I recognize that what I did was something I did "as a kid." I'd never speak to compare my "drum corps" to any legitimate drum corps program who had the backing of a board of directors, parents, sponsors, and an accessible member pool. Perhaps someday I'll try again, but for now I have found a home with the Citrus Heights Community Marching Band. Although its not a drum corps, I have been given an opportunity with this young group to develop some experience which I feel pays tribute to the efforts I put into my own program.

How this applies to the Open Class circuit is that the prohibitive costs of drum and bugle corps, even at the small-sized level, have spawned broader ideas such as community marching bands, concert bands, and other types of groups that are easier for members to perform without the burdens of traveling and intense rehearsal.

Edited by ussglassman

plus "kids are lazy".

Look, it doesn't matter if a group is regional, local or even on someone's street where they live. If it is not organized and can offer an unique and high quality experience, it will not attract the desired membership. Kids have multiple options on how to spend their leisure time & money. Part-time and full-time jobs are much more a teenagers life than it was in the 1960's, 1970's, 1980's and 1990's. You may be well intentioned, but certainly can't compete with organized (well funded and equipped) sports, high quality interactive video games & online entertainment, the opportunity to earn spending money (if not contribute families' income) and the competitive scholastic marching arts endeavors.

Corps will NEVER leave World Class for Open Class. To lose the $75 or so in appearance fees would be fiscal suicide.

Personally, I believe Tom Brace to be the single greatest threat to DCI (except for Arizona Academy) :tongue:

That is the harsh reality I had to face. I didn't have all the answers, I just really wanted to do something that I thought would benefit the world around me in a way I didn't think I could do otherwise. I recognize that what I did was something I did "as a kid." I'd never speak to compare my "drum corps" to any legitimate drum corps program who had the backing of a board of directors, parents, sponsors, and an accessible member pool. Perhaps someday I'll try again, but for now I have found a home with the Citrus Heights Community Marching Band. Although its not a drum corps, I have been given an opportunity with this young group to develop some experience which I feel pays tribute to the efforts I put into my own program.

How this applies to the Open Class circuit is that the prohibitive costs of drum and bugle corps, even at the small-sized level, have spawned broader ideas such as community marching bands, concert bands, and other types of groups that are easier for members to perform without the burdens of traveling and intense rehearsal.

Edited by HardCorp

plus "kids are lazy".

Look, it doesn't matter if a group is regional, local or even on someone's street where they live. If it is not organized and can offer an unique and high quality experience, it will not attract the desired membership. Kids have multiple options on how to spend their leisure time & money. Part-time and full-time jobs are much more a teenagers life than it was in the 1960's, 1970's, 1980's and 1990's. You may be well intentioned, but certainly can't compete with organized (well funded and equipped) sports, high quality interactive video games & online entertainment, the opportunity to earn spending money (if not contribute families' income) and the competitive scholastic marching arts endeavors.

Corps will NEVER leave World Class for Open Class. To lose the $75 or so in appearance fees would be fiscal suicide.

Personally, I believe Tom Brae to be the sigle greatest threat to DCI (except for Arizona Academy) :tongue:

When I started my program, I seriously thought I was doing something good. I am older now, and I have a much greater business sense now than I did back then. That's why I stopped doing it because I realized that it could never truly materialize without a major investment that I couldn't afford, both out of my bank account and my life.

Who is Tom Brae? Whats wrong with Academy? And I personally believe the biggest threat to DCI is George Hopkins, but he enacted his maniacal schemes years ago which is one of the main reasons why the drum corps activity has fallen to the lows it has. I think George could successfully impose woodwinds now, and things are so screwed up, no one would really care.

And I personally believe the biggest threat to DCI is George Hopkins, but he enacted his maniacal schemes years ago which is one of the main reasons why the drum corps activity has fallen to the lows it has. I think George could successfully impose woodwinds now, and things are so screwed up, no one would really care.

Name one thing Hoppy "imposed" all by himself on DCI. As for WW, as much as I would like to see them added...they are a long way away, Hoppy or not. The things you call maniacal are things that 1) Instructors had wanted for years and 2) the majority of the board approved. There is no support for WW from either set of people.

Personally, I believe Tom Brace to be the single greatest threat to DCI (except for Arizona Academy) :tongue:

Wow...what an honor. It used to be I was merely the single greatest threat to Open Class.

My threat level has been elevated...past orange right into the middle of yellow!

I thank everyone for this honor.

Who is Tom Brae? Whats wrong with Academy? And I personally believe the biggest threat to DCI is George Hopkins, but he enacted his maniacal schemes years ago which is one of the main reasons why the drum corps activity has fallen to the lows it has. I think George could successfully impose woodwinds now, and things are so screwed up, no one would really care.

It's Brace sir. Tom Brace. And if you don't know me by now, it's obvious someday you will become a threat victim. Prepare now before it is too late. I suggest sheets of 8 mil plastic sheathing and plenty of duct tape. Also, stock up on potable water and toilet paper.

What's wrong with the Academy?

Two things....first...they are located in Tempe Arizona...they should move.

Finally, I live in Tempe Arizona so they have become my hometown corps....the single greatest reason the Academy should move.

As to your comments regarding Mr. Hopkins....he pales in comparison with the threat I pose to the very existence of DCI. Your failure to recognize this will be to your undoing.

Tom IS dangerous - he speaks the truth.

It's Brace sir. Tom Brace. And if you don't know me by now, it's obvious someday you will become a threat victim. Prepare now before it is too late. I suggest sheets of 8 mil plastic sheathing and plenty of duct tape. Also, stock up on potable water and toilet paper.

Finally, I live in Tempe Arizona so they have become my hometown corps....the single greatest reason the Academy should move.

As to your comments regarding Mr. Hopkins....he pales in comparison with the threat I pose to the very existence of DCI. Your failure to recognize this will be to your undoing.

I feel left out:-) So, why are you such a bad guy Tom? Obviously someone so evil would not care to take the time to speak to us underlings.

As far as George Hopkins, I do not know him as a person. He's probably a great guy and if I ever run into him, I'd be hoppy to buy him a beer. I just don't like how one person can simply say "lets do this" in regards to sweeping changes to the drum corps activity, and how everyone considers his word to be as powerful as the voice of God. He has implemented 3 valve horns, Bb horns, electronic amplification, vocal narration, and now synthesizers. He was the person who had proposed the ideas behind increasing corps size limits from 128 to 150, and I'm scared that adding woodwinds could come soon. I am a bit of a traditionalist. I believe that maintaining traditions and foundations keeps things focused towards the reasons why they exist. George Hopkins has been the antagonist of the demise of many of the things that make drum and bugle corps...drum and bugle corps.

I also don't care for the "Hopkins innovations" because every single innovation they introduce means a greater financial burden on competing corps. How many corps folded when they couldnt pay the bill for those brand new Bb horns? How many corps folded when Div 3 was dissolved and they couldnt meet the touring and competition requirements to run with the big corps? I honor Mr. Hopkins service as the 26 year director of the Cadets. I have enjoyed many of the Cadet's shows. I also have seen the performance enhancements created by all of these innovations. I just know that some of the most beautiful, most exhilarating drum corps performances of all time were performed with 2 valved G bugles, without electronic amplification or other similar equipment, and I know that instructors would still be able to teach innovative and exciting programs if they still had to deal with traditional equipment.